Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Poll closed Poll
Question: what type of sling do you like the most (in terms of weight)?
*** This poll has now closed ***

light sling    
  8 (50.0%)
heavy sling    
  3 (18.8%)
both    
  5 (31.2%)

Total votes: 16
« Created by: cram on: May 27th, 2019 at 10:21am »

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
sling weight (Read 6287 times)
cram
Descens

sling weight
May 27th, 2019 at 10:21am

Pick one and tell us why Smiley

It ain't target practice if you keep hitting.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Re: sling weight
Reply #1 - May 27th, 2019 at 11:25am

I feel like this is kind of like "What's the best car?" Am I doing a road race? Is it an off road race? A drag race? Formula 1? Different slings for different ammo for different styles for different purposes. I would say that I prefer thicker slings than super thin ones just because thinner slings are more prone to tangling in my opinion.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

TheJackinati

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #2 - May 27th, 2019 at 11:37am

I'm probably one of the only few around who tends to prefer lighter slings.

I personally prefer lighter slings primarily because I get a better feel for my projectiles.

That said, a thicker sling is certainly great when you are launching 'Ka-chunka-chunk' rocks, as I call them. These are big pieces of limestone that make a 'ka-chunka-chunk' sound in flight. Throwing these with a thin sling is asking for an shoulder injury.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #3 - May 27th, 2019 at 12:14pm

light sling for efficiency and smoothness
the dilemma for me is light sling or extremely light sling? extremely light slings have very thin cords and rarely have a split pouch which I prefer for general purposes, they are difficult to grab and they tangle easily. I would like to try an extremely light sling but with cords as thick as a light sling's (best of both worlds)

but what is light? my slings are ~15g I consider that light.

IP Logged

cram
Descens

Reply #4 - May 27th, 2019 at 1:30pm

@
Sarosh

Anything lighter than balearic slings  Tongue

It ain't target practice if you keep hitting.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #5 - May 27th, 2019 at 2:13pm

@
cram

I don't have a balearic sling, how much do they weight?

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - May 27th, 2019 at 6:07pm

@
Sarosh

I like light (an oz or less for up to around 3oz ammo) and 1.5 - 2 oz balearic slings for heavier ammo.

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #7 - May 27th, 2019 at 9:48pm

I agree with the statements already made that the weight of the sling will be determined by the ammunition being used.  And also the material that it's made from.

In general I think I lean towards ones that are lighter in weight.  The two slings I'm currently using most often are very similar.  One is paracord with a leather pouch.  The other has cords made from shoe laces and a leather pouch.  The paracord one is .85 oz (24 g), and the other is .80 oz (22 g).

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #8 - May 27th, 2019 at 11:03pm

Heavy and light are pretty subjective. As has been discussed many times before, weighted slings are better for lightweight ammo, but it also depends on the length of the sling.

... and Balearics are really light too if you tie some helium balloons to them Grin

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - May 27th, 2019 at 11:17pm

@
NooneOfConsequence

But damn, what a drag  Tongue

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #10 - May 28th, 2019 at 4:08am

I use dyneema . My slings are extremely light , some less than 5 grams . A light sling in my opinion is an efficient sling. The heavier a slings total weight the more energy is needed to move that sling in any direction. Now add almost any significant weight in the pouch , the lighter sling should be more efficient . Heavy slings have "recoil" as I call it and your hand feels the shock after the shot . I think there is exceptions to this but the main determining factors are sling length and projectile weight.
A "normal" size sling should be more efficient if it's total weight is less. Given that all other factors are the same (rigidity, tension, speed, etc)

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #11 - May 28th, 2019 at 4:36am

Depends on ammunition/sling type for me.

Lighter/thinner slings are more efficient as less air resistance and less mass to rotate. However, when using heavy stones the relative weight of the sling is less compared to payload, and you will typically be swinging at lower speeds anyway so those disadvantages are less significant. Thinness also tends to cost in ease and speed of use, for example very thin slings will tangle a lot and generally be a pain. On the other end of the spectrum thicker braided slings pretty much spring into aligned state. Paracord is a good middle ground which doesn't tend to tangle and is still pretty efficient.

I've also found that heavier/thicker slings are more stable- i.e. the pouch cannot roll on it's axis and dump bigger stones (with higher centre of mass) out of the side- this is something that can be difficult to achieve with leather/paracord to 100% reliability, and typically you trade off with length of pouch and ease of release.

Durability is also a thing, though mostly for natural slings. I wouldn't trust a natural fibre sling below a certain thickness, even sisal has it's limits. So if you like natural slings you can't go too thin.

IMO heavier slings should always be tapered to give a much lighter/cleaner release. Non-tapered heavy slings are uncomfortable to use. Also who doesn't love the whipcrack Cheesy

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #12 - May 28th, 2019 at 4:47am

@
walter wow that's heavy

NooneOfConsequence wrote on May 27th, 2019 at 11:03pm:
weighted slings are better for lightweight ammo

can't say I agree. what's your experience?

@
Mersa where can I see pictures of your slings?

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #13 - May 28th, 2019 at 6:42am

I would agree a weighted pouch is useful for very anal light ammo. Without it, it can be difficult to build up enough momentum to actually sling effectively. This does partly depend on the sling cords. If you have super thin light cords then it can work but I have had the problem that with light ammo and light pouch with cords that aren't ultrathin, simple air resistance can prevent the sling moving through the air effectively. Having that heavier pouch can pull everything taught and ensure a good release.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #14 - May 28th, 2019 at 2:22pm

@
Kick ah ok I get the point now, lighter cords than the pouch so they stay taught despite their drag.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, vetryan15, Chris, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Morphy)