Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Poll closed Poll
Question: what type of sling do you like the most (in terms of weight)?
*** This poll has now closed ***

light sling    
  8 (50.0%)
heavy sling    
  3 (18.8%)
both    
  5 (31.2%)

Total votes: 16
« Created by: cram on: May 27th, 2019 at 10:21am »

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
sling weight (Read 6289 times)
Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Re: sling weight
Reply #15 - May 28th, 2019 at 3:38pm

Huge fan of heavier slings, especially of the Balearic variety.

Primarily I target shoot with slings and I feel like I can be more consistent with heavier slings. Something about the way they rotate and release seem more predictable to me.

Also, I sling with tennis balls more often than anything else and I can make up for what they lack in weight with the weight of the sling.

Distance slinging, I'll use either.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Eudave

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #16 - May 29th, 2019 at 5:01pm

with my limited experience I like the Light slings. I have  braided them from  Jute and they feel awkward to me. I am going  to get some Dyneema and use a split leather pouch  I made my first one and find that i like it .

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #17 - May 29th, 2019 at 5:51pm

This is my main sling , the one I use most of the time. My oldest and my first . Well worn .
Approx 20g including beads , around 14g without weight of beads.
Old discontinued dyneema 3mm Throwline (arborists cordage).

image_142.jpeg (55 KB | 23 )
image_142.jpeg

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #18 - May 30th, 2019 at 12:29am

@
Mersa I'm interested in the design of your 5 gram slings.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #19 - May 30th, 2019 at 1:43am

Here you go , follows the same design but thinner cord.
It's my EDC sling.

image_143.jpeg (59 KB | 18 )
image_143.jpeg
image_144.jpeg (68 KB | 29 )
image_144.jpeg
image_145.jpeg (89 KB | 19 )
image_145.jpeg

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #20 - May 30th, 2019 at 6:22am

That's a cool way of carrying one round. Might have to see if I can find a comfortable way to attach a sling to my keys Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

cram
Descens

Reply #21 - May 30th, 2019 at 8:51am

@
Mersa

How long are your slings?

It ain't target practice if you keep hitting.

IP Logged

Camo-sling
Interfector Viris Spurii

Forge your own path.

Australia
Reply #22 - May 31st, 2019 at 10:07pm

I have always been able to achieve a higher degree of accuracy and consistency with a heavier nylon braided sling.

But I prefer lighter materials like wool for crafting slings which look a much nicer.

Plus, a heavier sling can be more easily used to dry fire, practice casts and warm up!

IP Logged

Frondeur

I'm the lead slinger in
a hard rock band

France
Reply #23 - Jun 1st, 2019 at 4:14am

Well, most of my slings are around 10 - 20 grams, so I would say I prefer light slings.
A friend of mine had an extra-heavy one (recently lost down the valley...) - no Idea about the weight, but each cord was 2 strands twisted with 8mm polypro, faor around 80 cm folded.
It had a *huge* recoil, as Mersa would say. this issue was solved by using a T grip instead of a finger loop.

recently I switched to a 35grams sling, with taperd release, Witch I -for now...- consider to be superior to my old, lignter slings. Gravity center is placed on the release, like in a balearic one.

Regarding the relation between stone and sling, Hondero stated in hes works that the stone should weigth at least two times the sling for a good energy transmission; but as far as I can remember (I dont have the papers with me.) there was no further mathemetical explanation. anyone on this?

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #24 - Jun 3rd, 2019 at 5:54am

My slings are around 27.5 inches
I have one sling with a tapered release and it's better than all my other "heavy slings"

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #25 - Jun 3rd, 2019 at 10:48pm

@Mersa... is that a green Opinel? I thought carrying a knife in public  requires some proof of a “good reason” in Australia.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

TheJackinati

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #26 - Jun 4th, 2019 at 4:04am

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Jun 3rd, 2019 at 10:48pm:
@Mersa... is that a green Opinel? I thought carrying a knife in public  requires some proof of a “good reason” in Australia.

I'm not Mersa... but I have a theory...

Policeman: "Oi, why are you carrying that Knife around!"

Mersa: "Because... I'm an Arborist"

*Mic Drop*

Tongue

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #27 - Jun 5th, 2019 at 6:45am

Ha ha . Yeah it's a no2 opinel , and jakanati is pretty much right . I use the knife mainly for work and preparing fruit for lunch . That's a good reason to my knowledge. It's also a very small and reasonable knife to carry . In all honesty my keys are probally more of a treat as a weapon than the knife would be 
Weird law but.  I knew a person who said to a police officer that they had a pocket knife incase of an attack  when asked, the knife was confiscated and the person fined.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #28 - Jun 5th, 2019 at 8:38pm

I enjoy using both.  As kick wrote, each has their purpose.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #29 - Jun 6th, 2019 at 8:35am

Mersa wrote on Jun 5th, 2019 at 6:45am:
Ha ha . Yeah it's a no2 opinel , and jakanati is pretty much right . I use the knife mainly for work and preparing fruit for lunch . That's a good reason to my knowledge. It's also a very small and reasonable knife to carry . In all honesty my keys are probally more of a treat as a weapon than the knife would be 
Weird law but.  I knew a person who said to a police officer that they had a pocket knife incase of an attack  when asked, the knife was confiscated and the person fined.

Yeah “self defense” is apparently not a good reason for a disarmed populace.  That’s the policeman’s job, so you’ll just have to politely ask the criminals to wait patiently while you call emergency services...  Tongue

Texas is a little more favorable to citizens protecting themselves, but I ran into a similar stupid law here in Texas that says you can only carry a “club” if you’re a licensed security guard or police officer. If you have problems with stray dogs while walking in your neighborhood, it’s safer (from a legal perspective) to carry a samurai sword than a stick.

Ok... rant over. Back to slings!

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Kick, Chris, vetryan15, Morphy, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark)