Nettle sling? (Read 11851 times)
NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Re: Nettle sling?
Reply #60 - Jul 28th, 2020 at 10:09pm

AncientCraftwork wrote on Jul 28th, 2020 at 6:56am:
Make a rope and you can make a sling!
In fact most of us ''making slings'' are rather ''assembling slings'' from premade rope/cord
The hardest part of true sling making in my opinion is gathering the fibre.
The assembling them into a sling part is the easy and fun part

I prefer to assemble my fancy slings from bags of potato chips whistle

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #61 - Jul 30th, 2020 at 2:40pm

I collected up around 25 nettles this morning, stripped them, broke them and separated out the fibres in about 2 hours. Went a lot quicker than I expected. I know the really slow part is still to come but getting the unprocessed fibre didn't take long at all. It's drying now but I'm thinking of getting some more tomorrow, maybe 30 or so more. Better to have too much fibre than not enough Cheesy Any suggestions for uses of other parts of the plant? I now younger shoots can be eaten but can the leaves be used? I'm not a big fan of green tea but I've heard of nettle tea Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #62 - Jul 30th, 2020 at 7:46pm

Kick wrote on Jul 30th, 2020 at 2:40pm:
I collected up around 25 nettles this morning, stripped them, broke them and separated out the fibres in about 2 hours. Went a lot quicker than I expected. I know the really slow part is still to come but getting the unprocessed fibre didn't take long at all. It's drying now but I'm thinking of getting some more tomorrow, maybe 30 or so more. Better to have too much fibre than not enough Cheesy Any suggestions for uses of other parts of the plant? I now younger shoots can be eaten but can the leaves be used? I'm not a big fan of green tea but I've heard of nettle tea Cheesy

Eat them raw. They are delicious. At least to me, that was always something I would pick on my way out fishing. Eat some nettle leaves, pull up some cattails to chew on and I was ready for my main course of small mouth bass.

IP Logged

TheJackinati

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #63 - Aug 6th, 2020 at 6:53am

Well, I've tried my hands out making a nettle sling. I've had to buy the cordage... unlike the awesome people over here who have way better soils.

Gotta say. Nettle is some amazing stuff to work with. Tough as all hell, but not abrasive on the hands like a certain fibre... Sisal, I'm looking at you here!

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #64 - Aug 6th, 2020 at 7:15am

It can be abrasive I've found if you don't scrape the fibres and just use the fresh stuff you pull off the stem. Once it dries it can get quite pointy. I want to try scraping them to see if I can get something a bit smoother, but yeah it's great stuff.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #65 - Aug 18th, 2020 at 8:59am

I've managed to get together two nettle slings now. One is twined with just the simple pouch design, the other is braided split pouch. They both work great but I think I can do better on the braiding. It partly comes down to the material and it just won't be perfect when it's a natural, home processed material. Still, I really like it and it will actually be going off to the US as part of a trade. More to come!

IP Logged

darksidedsam
Tiro

Stone, Spin, Sling!

Essex, England
Reply #66 - Aug 18th, 2020 at 11:57am

it is very similiar to hemp

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #67 - Aug 18th, 2020 at 1:46pm

I don't have any experience with hemp but I feel this is probably rougher. I didn't do almost any processing on it so it's pretty thick fibres.

IP Logged

darksidedsam
Tiro

Stone, Spin, Sling!

Essex, England
Reply #68 - Aug 18th, 2020 at 2:19pm

Kick wrote on Aug 18th, 2020 at 1:46pm:
I don't have any experience with hemp but I feel this is probably rougher. I didn't do almost any processing on it so it's pretty thick fibres.

The blisters on my index finger might disagree with you xD

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #69 - Aug 18th, 2020 at 2:36pm

Well with nettle you can get splinters so maybe it's rough in a different way Cheesy I got a real bad one in my finger that I didn't even realise was there until the pus burst out... Yeah that was fun...

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #70 - Aug 18th, 2020 at 7:50pm

Pretty cool  Smiley kick Smiley

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #71 - Aug 19th, 2020 at 6:20am

Welcome in the nettle club  Cheesy
More seriously, I agree : it's a good fiber. With a nice and wild aspect.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #72 - Aug 19th, 2020 at 6:27am

Thats awesome looking

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #73 - Aug 19th, 2020 at 2:17pm

Kick, please post another picture when it dries. I am curious how it holds up.

John R.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #74 - Aug 19th, 2020 at 2:25pm

They're both about as dry as the're going to get I think. At least they aren't going to shrink anymore. They might get a bit browner.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Kick)