Interfector Viris Spurii

Re: Nettle sling?
Reply #30 - Jun 9th, 2020 at 4:26pm

TOMBELAINE wrote on Jun 9th, 2020 at 12:24pm:
Hello Jauke,
Easy or difficult ?
For encourage if members want to try.
Undecided

So far it is turning out much better than I expected. Easy, it just takes patience to remove as much of the green stuff.
I think the nettles here are of good stock.
In about 2 weeks time I will post my sling  Wink

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #31 - Jun 9th, 2020 at 4:27pm

I've been eyeing up some nettles in the local area. They're still a little short so I'm waiting another week or so before I go get them to really maximise the length of the strands. Excited to get started on it Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #32 - Jun 9th, 2020 at 4:29pm

Kick wrote on Jun 9th, 2020 at 4:27pm:
I've been eyeing up some nettles in the local area. They're still a little short so I'm waiting another week or so before I go get them to really maximise the length of the strands. Excited to get started on it Cheesy

Actually I don't mind the short fibres. After cleaning it up most of my fibres are maybe 25 cm max.
I roll them on my pants. Then I roll them into the twine, than I roll the twine around itself doing the twisty thing, than I twist the twisty thing around itself. Very strong.

I also stopped crushing the stems, I just debark them with my finger nails. The nettles here are strong and thick. I do ocassionally get stung. And I run over the greeny bits with a butter knife on a smooth rubber mat, this seems to reduce the fibres breaking when cleaning them with the butter knife.I try to make the fibres as white as possible but there is some greenery left. Will see how it turns out.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #33 - Jun 9th, 2020 at 4:45pm

Thanks for the tips!

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #34 - Jun 9th, 2020 at 4:50pm

Kick wrote on Jun 9th, 2020 at 4:45pm:
Thanks for the tips!

Also, I cut the nettle as low as possible to the root. Where the root is, the pit is almost made of wood. There the outer bark with the fibres lets loose easily. You can make the start.
First I run over it with some gloves to remove the leaves and stings.
Then I use my nails to debark, starting at the thickest bottom section. Get as much as possible, than slowly pull it all together downards till u get to the first node. At the node, pull slowly but with a lot of torgue so it doesn't break at the nodes, but as you continue pulling the outer skin downwards, it will get less and less because some of the outer skin gets stuck at the nodes. It's not so big a deal though. You might peel those off after and add it to the bunch or try to take them as you go.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #35 - Jun 10th, 2020 at 9:39am

The unprocessed outer bark with the fibers on the inside seem to give a higher yield after 24hours of drying. I can also just peel the fibers off and clean them with my finger nails now instead of scraping them with a butter knife and they are less likely to break.

The tiny batches of unusuable fiber is also very nice to chew on, it's like a vegetable chewing gum that removes plague

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #36 - Jun 10th, 2020 at 2:52pm

Well 2m of twine a day is unrealistic unless you really were dedicated, yesterday I did 1m and today I did about 80cm.
So it's going to take me about 20 days give or take before I have enough for a decent sling.

In the mean time I like to use the leftofers to make nettle tea, tastes pretty decent  Smiley

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #37 - Jun 10th, 2020 at 9:43pm

AncientCraftwork wrote on Jun 10th, 2020 at 2:52pm:
Well 2m of twine a day is unrealistic unless you really were dedicated, yesterday I did 1m and today I did about 80cm.
So it's going to take me about 20 days give or take before I have enough for a decent sling.

In the mean time I like to use the leftofers to make nettle tea, tastes pretty decent  Smiley

How are you making the twine? I find the method Primitive Technology uses in his sling video to be quite quick and efficient. 3-ply is my favourite to make by hand though, as it feels like real cord.
I love nettle tea, drink it quite regularly actually.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #38 - Jun 11th, 2020 at 2:53am

Archaic Arms wrote on Jun 10th, 2020 at 9:43pm:
AncientCraftwork wrote on Jun 10th, 2020 at 2:52pm:

How are you making the twine? I find the method Primitive Technology uses in his sling video to be quite quick and efficient. 3-ply is my favourite to make by hand though, as it feels like real cord.
I love nettle tea, drink it quite regularly actually.

The sling Primitive Technology made is not good and no what I aspire mine to be. It's made too quickly with too rough fibres. Those knots near at the ends of pouch will not give a clean release. But a good try.

I do a two ply twine and this twine I will twist around itself into a thicker two ply and maybe another time. I will weave the pouch with a twine from the first step ( the thinnest )

pt.png (749 KB | 36 )
pt.png

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #39 - Jun 11th, 2020 at 11:46am

AncientCraftwork wrote on Jun 11th, 2020 at 2:53am:
The sling Primitive Technology made is not good and no what I aspire mine to be. It's made too quickly with too rough fibres. Those knots near at the ends of pouch will not give a clean release. But a good try.

I do a two ply twine and this twine I will twist around itself into a thicker two ply and maybe another time. I will weave the pouch with a twine from the first step ( the thinnest )

Haha yes I agree the sling was hastily made and not very good, but what I mean't was merely the method he uses for twisting the cords. (I've seen some rather bad twine-making  techniques that contrast this)

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #40 - Jun 13th, 2020 at 12:58pm

Here are the beginnings of a nettle sling, with a diameter of around 5-6mm. As you can see, there is still some greenery in this cord.
This is plenty strong, but I decided to take more patience and now let the stems dry out in the sun, before I will continue.

I am very pleased by how it is going to far, this cord is very supple and has a nice feel to it and it doesn't stretch much. However, it is not as refined yet as I can make it. I am 100% confident a very decent sling can be made from it, at least to the standards of store bought jute, maybe that of store bought hemp, probably better if you really get high purities.

P6131756.JPG (442 KB | 57 )
P6131756.JPG

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #41 - Jun 14th, 2020 at 4:28am

Hello Jauke
Very nice job but check that the water loss loosens your spinning.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #42 - Jul 4th, 2020 at 5:25am

I made a sling out of the nettles I had so far

Here's some new thoughts on using nettles

-  Dry the stems in a bundle in the sun for a few weeks before using them
-  Once dried split them in halve with your nail or knife, now you can easily crack out the pit from the fibre
- The fibres are now plenty strong, you don't need to process them any further except twist them into rope

This is the quickest method. If you have good nettles (bigger the better imo) and they have dried for a few weeks, you can then process the fibre easily and if you spend 5/6 hours or so you can easily get 10 meters of decent thickness twine that can be twisted into a sling in a matter of a few hours.

Processing wet nettles and their fibre takes a lot more time and is not something I am gonna do again, better to let them dry.

IMG_0007.JPG (70 KB | 21 )
IMG_0007.JPG

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #43 - Jul 4th, 2020 at 8:02am

It slings nice...throws as well as my other split pouches of machine fibre. The cords are quite thin but they are confident. They feel more  wear resistant than hempen cords of this size. I am gonna continue making more and better nettle slings in the future.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #44 - Jul 4th, 2020 at 8:45am

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Chris, vetryan15, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man)