Send Topic Print
More on Fishing (Read 12664 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
More on Fishing
May 21st, 2019 at 9:33am

In the Summer my little lake gets weed choked.  Most people would look at it and think "What a shame. That lake us ruined." I am the opposite. When I made the jump from being an average to a very successful fisherman learning to fish the junk was what made the difference. I specialize in fishing the garbage. The heavier the weeds and such the better. Both Bass and Pickerel  love heavy cover as do most predatory fish. They are ambush hunters.
     Most of the lures in your tackle box won't work in the thickest stuff. What works best is just about any plastic bait rigged Texas Style without a weight.  Hold your rod tip up high and slowly pull your lure over the mat. When you come to open pockets let it swim down.
      Some hard lures that are very weedless and can be used in this situation are those big tandem  Bass spinners or weedless spoons like the Johnson Silver Minnow (great lure) and Moss Boss.
     Volumes could be written about this subject. Bottom line, if you want to catch the big boys learn to fish the slop.
« Last Edit: Mar 12th, 2022 at 6:42pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Re: More on Fishing
Reply #1 - May 21st, 2019 at 12:07pm

I've barely done any fishing in my life but it's a very popular hobby in the Netherlands. As a result you need a fishing permit if you want to fish above the age of 14 or 16 I think. Which costs 40 eur a year.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #2 - May 21st, 2019 at 12:57pm

I've done some fishing but I've been put off it. The last fish I caught was a pike that was so aggressive that it almost entirely swallowed the lure meaning I had to cut it's head off to get it out. Didn't have the time to prepare it to eat so it died for nothing but my own entertainment. Didn't feel good.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - May 22nd, 2019 at 6:15am

a good pair of disgorgers is essential if you're going to fish for things like pike. That and quicker reactions Smiley
Also barbless hooks are a really good idea. Even on lures, I'll crimp the barbs flat. It doesn't make any real difference to catching the fish (if you don't keep tension on the line you don't deserve to land it anyway Smiley - but a helluva difference in getting the hooks out.

You get very long locking thin scissor/plier things that work well for that kind of situation.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Straight-Stainless-Lockable-Position-NGT/dp/B014T6NBAG/...

As for the fish, just gut it on the bank and freeze the carcass until you're ready to either fillet it or bake it whole.
Pike is good eating.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #4 - May 22nd, 2019 at 6:59am

No ability to freeze it at the cottage unfortunately :/

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #5 - May 22nd, 2019 at 11:16am

then pickle it Smiley

Vinegar, sugar, onions, salt and pepper. Come on dude you're in scandanavia - home of pickled fish !

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #6 - May 22nd, 2019 at 8:50pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on May 22nd, 2019 at 6:15am:
a good pair of disgorgers is essential if you're going to fish for things like pike. That and quicker reactions Smiley
Also barbless hooks are a really good idea. Even on lures, I'll crimp the barbs flat. It doesn't make any real difference to catching the fish (if you don't keep tension on the line you don't deserve to land it anyway Smiley - but a helluva difference in getting the hooks out.

You get very long locking thin scissor/plier things that work well for that kind of situation.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Straight-Stainless-Lockable-Position-NGT/dp/B014T6NBAG/...

As for the fish, just gut it on the bank and freeze the carcass until you're ready to either fillet it or bake it whole.
Pike is good eating.

Excellent advice, c_a. I fish mostly for Northern Chain Pickerel, which are a smaller cousin to the Pike.  They are also very toothy and violent. It's a good idea to carry wire cutters with you... ones that are sturdy enough to cut through your heaviest hooks.  For those who don't want to mash their barbs, often cutting them off is the only way to avoid tearing a fish to ribbons.  I would much rather waste a hook or even a six dollar lure than kill a fish for no reason. 

Jauke, one also needs a fishing license here in the States.  The age varies from state to state.  In my state of New Jersey I believe it's twelve.  A resident license costs $22.50.  If you wish to catch trout, which are stocked in this state, it's $5.00 more for a trout stamp.  I only did this once in my life because a friend wanted to.  The idea of paying to catch fish that they dumped into the creek doesn't appeal to me.  Plus trout fishing here is usually a cluster f**k with people on top of each other. 

Edit:  Also, if the fish is badly hooked it's sometimes it's best chance to survive is if you just to cut the line and leave the hook in the fish. The hook will oxidize in about three weeks.  This is for extreme cases like when the fish is gut hooked.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #7 - May 23rd, 2019 at 6:01am

Actually another reason for using barbless hooks - it's much much easier and less painful to remove them from YOURSELF !

And yes, at some point you will stick yourself with a fish hook.
Smiley

« Last Edit: May 26th, 2019 at 6:09pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #8 - May 24th, 2019 at 12:38pm

I'm all for barbless hooks.  I mentioned the cutters because not everyone is willing to switch to them.  Also I use steel worm weights instead of lead.  Steel doesn't pollute lakes and rivers or poison waterfowl.  There's an added bonus.  On a rig designed to make noise like a Carolina Clacker, (beads and weight bang into a swivel to make noise to attract fish) steel makes a lot more noise than lead.  Tungsten is more dense than lead and is really the ideal replacement for it but unfortunately it's brutally expensive (at least to me). Steel weights are much cheaper. Ultra-Steel is the brand I use.  I suppose there are others.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #9 - May 24th, 2019 at 12:43pm

Something else I'd like to mention.  Many lures are designed to catch fishermen or women rather than fish.  You can spend $40.00 or even more on a single lure.  If I spent that much on a lure I'd be afraid to cast in into the junk where the fish are.  Here's the bottom line... no matter how much you spend on a lure it won't catch fish any better than a cheap bag of plastic worms.  Don't be a fool.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #10 - May 26th, 2019 at 6:09pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on May 23rd, 2019 at 6:01am:
Actually another reason for using barbless hooks - it's much much easier and less painful to remove them from YOURSELF !

And yes, at some point you will stick yourself with a fish hook.
Smiley

I only ever hooked myself once, but I REALLY hooked myself.  I was fishing with my nephew, Mike.  I missed with a cast and my lure got stuck in a wall of stickers and brush on the shore.  I pulled but the lure was very stuck.  I pulled harder and the wall pulled out about two feet.  Did I mention that I was very drunk?   Suddenly the lure snapped out of the brush toward me like it was shot out of a cannon.  A very thick hook got buried in my left arm.  To get to a hospital to have it removed we would have had to ride to shore, put all of the gear and the boat up, drive out of the woods, (many miles) and drive to the nearest hospital.   We were back in the Jersey Pines so this also would have taken some time.  I really didn't feel like spending the next few hours with a big old lure attached to my arm so I took matters into my own hands.  The only way to free myself from the lure was to pop the hook back through  my skin and cut the barb off.  My skin is very tough and the hook was only moderately sharp.   I had to stretch my skin way out. Mike couldn't bear to watch and turned his back to the ordeal.  Being very drunk helped a great deal.  Finally the hook broke through with a loud !POP!  I'll never forget how Mike cringed upon hearing the sound.  But the hook was through, I cut the barb off, then pulled the hook out.  We finished our fishing day.  Luckily there was no infection. 
    Back to the point.  Had that been a barbless hook there would have been no drama. 
« Last Edit: May 29th, 2019 at 1:09pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #11 - Jun 8th, 2019 at 8:39pm

My very favorite lure is the Tiki Man Wave Worm.  It's a Senko knockoff.  If someone held a gun to my head and demanded that I catch a fish this is what I'd use.  Rigged Texas style with a 3/0 wide gap worm hook and no weight they are killer on Pickerel, Bass, or just about any predatory fish. Most will probably ignore this tip but I just told you something valuable.  Try them.
    BTW, I just realized that I've been fishing for sixty years.  Scary thought.

TikiMan.JPG (22 KB | 64 )
TikiMan.JPG

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #12 - Jun 8th, 2019 at 8:51pm

This is my second favorite lure, the Johnson Silver Minnow.  It's a weedless spoon.  It was invented about ninety years ago.    It's a very close second to the Tiki Man. It is extremely versatile and effective.  I like the 3/4 oz  model, gold color the most. It's best when rigged with a 4" twin tail grub as a trailer.  Other trailers also work.  Both the Sliver Minnow and the Tiki Man Wave Worm are designed to be used in the slop.  Fish them in the heaviest, worst cover you can find. 
    There is also much to be said for the good old regular purple plastic worm.  It worked for your grandfather and it works now. 
     There are MANY other lures that I love.  These are my three main ones.  What are some of your favorites? 

SilverMinnow.JPG (19 KB | 62 )
SilverMinnow.JPG

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #13 - Jun 8th, 2019 at 9:49pm

Rat Man, what do you think of dare devils and what fish would you try them on?

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #14 - Jun 10th, 2019 at 3:48pm

Had a long ride through the country side today.. saw many fishers out there on the canals. Young people, girls, boys, couples, old and young. It's something that many from the more rural areas  learn when young, and still do when old.
« Last Edit: Jul 12th, 2021 at 2:31pm by AncientCraftwork »  

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Chris)