Send Topic Print
I Won! (Read 2690 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
I Won!
May 20th, 2019 at 6:46pm

Previously the most I ever won in the lottery was $35.00 back in the '70s. Today I had a ticket worth $500.00. You guys are the only ones I'm telling. If I let anyone around here know everyone will want something. I have bills to pay. I do believe this is the most I've ever won at anything.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Re: I Won!
Reply #1 - May 21st, 2019 at 1:07am

How often do you get them? I've never bought a lottery ticket but you have to be in it to win it so I'll never win if I never buy one Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - May 21st, 2019 at 6:48am

Congratulations Smiley
Not life changing amount - but certainly enough to be useful !

Lottery tickets over here have just got stupidly expensive, so i stopped.
The euro lottery tickets are £2.50 each and the uk lottery - I believe is the same, but for much smaller prizes.

They have just started a new one for £1.50.
https://www.lottery.co.uk/set-for-life
Where the top prize is £10,000 a month for 30 years.
I could live with that Smiley
the odds for smaller prizes are also better.

So might start getting the odd lucky dip for that.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #3 - May 21st, 2019 at 9:13am

Kick wrote on May 21st, 2019 at 1:07am:
How often do you get them? I've never bought a lottery ticket but you have to be in it to win it so I'll never win if I never buy one Cheesy

Every week or two I spent eight dollars on tickets if I have it.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #4 - May 21st, 2019 at 9:16am

Curious Aardvark wrote on May 21st, 2019 at 6:48am:
Congratulations Smiley
Not life changing amount - but certainly enough to be useful !

Lottery tickets over here have just got stupidly expensive, so i stopped.
The euro lottery tickets are £2.50 each and the uk lottery - I believe is the same, but for much smaller prizes.

They have just started a new one for £1.50.
https://www.lottery.co.uk/set-for-life
Where the top prize is £10,000 a month for 30 years.
I could live with that Smiley
the odds for smaller prizes are also better.

So might start getting the odd lucky dip for that.

Here the tickets are two dollars each. I occasionally win small prizes like two, four, or ten dollars which helps pay for the tickets. I know my odds against hitting big but it's worth a few dollars a week to have a little piece of the dream.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #5 - May 21st, 2019 at 12:15pm

I only lost money overall with lotteries. Stopped it recently as I made some huge changes in my life. I have no desire for big money and if I did win a million or so I would give most of it away. It just feels unfair to me. Sure it's a game and you know what you get into but still. I want to make honest money. I made a lot of money with speculation in the past, but it disappears just as quick. It just ends in stress and misery. It's much better to have a stable job and earn honest money instead of living with a ''get rich or die trying'' mentality, which I suffered from. Of course I am not looking down or blaming anyone who does buy lotteries or is into get-rich-quick stuff, I was into it myself. Of course the situation here in my country differs from America, especially for pensioned elderly.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #6 - May 23rd, 2019 at 8:40am

@
Jauke

lol if you ever give away a million give it to me, I'll buy property and sling 3 times a day and i will host international competitions Tongue

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #7 - May 23rd, 2019 at 10:48am

Yeah, you her a lot about how lots of money ruins people's lives.

I would really really like the chance to be that miserable ! 

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #8 - May 24th, 2019 at 6:40am

Nothing wrong with earning a lot of money in a honest and productive way. Ill-gotten riches is where the problems come from.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #9 - May 24th, 2019 at 9:06am

My dad once said (though he know says he can't remember saying it...  Roll Eyes ) "Almost no-one has ever gotten rich and stayed rich without f-ing over someone else along the way, most often multiple people, multiple times." and I think there is a lot of truth in it. Every billionaire I can think of has screwed someone over along the way to the top, whether it be business partners, their employees or the people producing the materials for their goods. Bill Gates has done a lot for charity but that doesn't mean much to the poisoned miners that dug up all those raw materials for processors for a pittance...

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #10 - May 25th, 2019 at 2:21pm

Many rich people have bad things on their conscience, but it is hidden, so people just see their outside life and envy it. But that is also why sometimes you read about a rich guy giving away everything and completely changing his lifestyle, because he cannot bear his bad conscience anymore. Not to forget, when you have so much money that you can buy anything and have access to it all, it loses the appeal/value/thrill. But when you work hard and long to get something your really want, the fruit is so much sweeter. The happiest place to be in, I believe, is the middle class, with honest and productive work, that is positive for the community and country, and not just your own wallet.

There really is great joy in modesty. Aim for stability / linear growth instead of exponential bubbles. Yeah, I rode the cryptocurrency rollercoaster of the last few years. I know guys my age that reached networths of millions and are now back to miserable lives full of uncertainty without stability. Blinded by greed/pride. MUCH Better to just get a normal job and function in society instead of becoming a glued-at-screen allday daytrader barely getting any sleep, just driven by pure greed/ego. These people look succesful on the outside but the vast majority are a bunch of rotten debauching degenerates. The many millions of $ aren't even remotely worth the bad things on the conscience.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #11 - May 25th, 2019 at 4:51pm

AncientCraftwork wrote on May 25th, 2019 at 2:21pm:
The many millions of $ aren't even remotely worth the bad things on the conscience.

that's the good thing with the lottery ticket , no bad things.

i can see how societies have become rotten through money chasing.
normal jobs are extinct, you always work for someone else's greed, even science and technology the last stronghold of reasoning and logic is driven by profit. So why work like sheep under instructions, feeding other peoples needs if you have the choice to do something else?

bullshit jobs are on the rise...

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #12 - May 26th, 2019 at 1:13am

I'm pretty certain that almost every problem on the planet currently has been caused or made worse by greed. I'm not religious, but they were right to have greed as a deadly sin.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #13 - May 26th, 2019 at 4:39pm

Bullshit jobs, bullshit degrees, yes. Too many young people feel pressured to go to college or university, while many of them would be better off in tradeschool. And regarding students with great school scores; we shouldn't naturally expect from them that they go to university either.  If they want to study a trade instead- a trade in line with their actual interests, but which is below their ''academic level'', let them. I am myself following this path. My school scores were very high. I ''should've'' gone to university. But from all those high end degrees, nothing really interested me. I also wasn't interested in the higher salaries they would provide me with either. Now I discovered something I truly want to do and it's learning a trade, and it's inline with my interests. It would be against the advises of all my previous tutors, classmates, etc, because it is ''below'' my level.
In the past I let myself get influenced by them waay to much, and it resulted in doubt and not going to school (I didn't want to rack up debt starting things I wasn't sure of.) Now that I've finally matured a bit, I see I was influenced by nonsense. I should've just gone to tradeschool years ago. But, better late than never.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #14 - May 26th, 2019 at 4:56pm

I think it's because we emphasize too little the difference between being intelligent and being smart. Many of us interchange the two and its wrong. No, I define it differently, if you are very intelligent, the size of the mistake you can make is MUCH larger (but also the size of the good you can do, much greater.)

Many celebrities and well known rich people are intelligent, but are they really smart? Are their minds really at peace? Are they really satisfied with themselves and how they influenced the world? I really doubt many of them are.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Chris, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark)