Send Topic Print
When You're Hot.... (Read 2406 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
When You're Hot....
May 18th, 2019 at 7:03pm

I like a little heat in my food.  I've eaten and enjoyed some pretty hot things. At my local Thai restaurant I order the hottest things on the menu. As many of you know I was stationed in Seoul, Korea in the mid seventies.  Koreans like their food VERY spicy.  I loved the real Korean kimchee.  Not the kind they serve to Americans, but the stuff they eat themselves.  It was so hot that (pardon my being explicit) it would make me bleed coming out the other end the next day.  I ate it anyway. It was just so good.  Eating foods that hot actually give you a sort of high.  You sweat, turn beet red, your eyes water, your nose runs, but it's great.
   I like some heat but I have my limits. Masiakasauras would probably enjoy eating burning hot coals but anything hotter than a Thai Chili or Habanero is useless to me.  I like a happy burn, not an evil one.  You'll never catch me doing the Carolina Reaper or Ghost Pepper Challenge. 
    The hottest thing I ever tried to eat was some home made hot mustard a buddy of mine had.  It was inedible.  It got as far as the back of my throat and my body rejected it.  I seriously think that if it had made it down there would have been serious, permanent  damage.
    So what's the hottest thing you ever ate and what are some hot foods you enjoy?
« Last Edit: Feb 20th, 2020 at 12:26pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

metalode
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

QLD Australia
Re: When You're Hot....
Reply #1 - May 18th, 2019 at 8:29pm

Pizza....

Well, more specifically microwaved pizza that you don't check the temperature of. I've managed to pull all the skin off the roof of my mouth in one go after it blistered up from eating too hot pizza. And the worst part is I've done that twice now.

Never had something so hot I haven't been able to eat it, but although I like hot spicy food I don't go out of my way to eat extreme chilli's or anything like that.
We have over here a beef jerky called "Roadkill's Bloody Hot Ring Burner", sounds like something you would like.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #2 - May 19th, 2019 at 1:49am

We were gifted a small pot of piri piri sauce by my girlfriend's parents after their trip to Portugal. It says "hot" on it but what they meant was "nuclear". I like a fair amount of spice but CANNOT have more than a drop of this stuff. Even the tinest amount of it can be felt in a full sauce that could feed 4 people. I thought the little pot would last a year. I now think I'm going to still be adding it stuff in 2030.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #3 - May 19th, 2019 at 5:13am

I love hot sauces, mainly habanero/scotch bonnet types. I usually have at least 2-3 open in the fridge at any one point and put them on everything.

I never take it to a really painful place though, there's just a point beyond which there's no enjoyment from it.

I can't remember exactly what the hottest thing I ate ever was. Some stuff I've had with high concentrations of ghost chilli has been extremely hot (wings, pork scratchings, a pizza). I've also tried a few 'extract' sauces which are very hot but taste terrible.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #4 - May 19th, 2019 at 5:58am

Taste is definitely important. If it's just heat for heats sake it's of no interest to me. It's got to be enjoyable.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #5 - May 20th, 2019 at 6:54am

our next door neighbours are hindus and even the stuff they swear doesn't have chilli in - has chilli in !

Toral gave me some lentil dish a while back, said it didn't have chilli in.
So like an idiot I believed her, ate a few spoons before the heat kicked in - managed about half the small bowl before my taste buds shut down.

It was full of little red bits of chilli.

So I mentioned this and her reply was: 'that's dried chilli from the mixed spice - that doesn't count. Thought you meant fresh chillis.'

The thing about indian food is that they use really great spice blends, the flavours are fantastic. And then they go and hide all those flavours under the kind of chilli layer that would make a mexican's eyes water !

Smiley

I have a packet of ghost chilli powder, it's been unopened for about 5 years. I know if I opened it I'd be stupid enough to taste it on my finger, and I know I'd really really regret it. So I don't open it lol

Might take it to mallorca next year and pete and the guam guys can have a macho chilli off !

Hell I reckon once we get a few beers in the Austrians, they'd be daft enough to join in to whistle

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #6 - May 20th, 2019 at 6:54pm

Kick wrote on May 19th, 2019 at 5:58am:
Taste is definitely important. If it's just heat for heats sake it's of no interest to me. It's got to be enjoyable.

Exactly. Heat for heat's sake doesn't interest me. It has to make sense with the dish. That's what I like about Thai Chilis. They're very hot but also flavorful.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #7 - May 24th, 2019 at 12:49pm

Serrano Peppers are really good.  I've been using them a lot lately.  They're not killer hot but they're hot enough to get your attention... a happy burn.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #8 - Sep 3rd, 2019 at 6:23pm

My favorite hot pepper is the Cherry Pepper. It's moderately hot like a Jalapeno. What sets it apart is its sweet, wonderful flavor. It's great for cooking and makes the best poppers.
« Last Edit: Sep 4th, 2019 at 2:47pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #9 - Sep 3rd, 2019 at 9:03pm

Thai birds-eye peppers. No... Hatch green chile. Or maybe a bacon-wrapped stuffed poblano. OK. Don’t make me choose!
Also, I once also had a really interesting spicy fresh cucumber in Eastern Europe. It looked and tasted like a cucumber but it had a spicy kick like a mild jalapeño.  I’ve never seen anything like it since, but it was really good!

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #10 - Sep 3rd, 2019 at 11:01pm

I love hot. And yes the chili high is very real. I've had times when I swear it felt like I had taken an opiate, it's that strong. But Carolina reapers and ghost peppers are just too much to eat straight. If I make homemade salsa it has to have 15-20 habaneros in it but those people who put the reapers in are just crazy as far as I'm concerned.

My favorite peppers are chipoltes. They are perfect tasting, although I wish they had more heat.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #11 - Jan 28th, 2020 at 12:14am

As far as the hottest dish I ever made it's a two way tie.  Long ago my late wife Marie, my army buddy Al, his brother Bob, and I were on our way to stay at some  friends' cabin in Vermont.  On the way we stopped somewhere in New England (I don't recall where) at a little Mom and Pop store to get a few supplies.  I came across a big jar of Cajun seasoning.  I don't recall the brand but I hadn't seen it before or since.  It looked interesting so I bought it.
    Prior to arriving at the cabin we camped at a beautiful campground in Vermont named Jamaica.  I caught my first non stocked trout there on a 1/4 ounce Daredevil, which has nothing to do with anything.  I decided to make chicken with the Cajun seasoning.  I coated the pieces then grilled them slowly over wood coals.  The finished product was amazingly hot.  It was right on the border of too hot to eat and delightful.  We happily burned our mouths and drank much beer. I wish I'd kept the name of the seasoning. 
     My oldest sister Marilyn used to have a veggie garden.  Every year she grew wicked hot Habaneros that she doled out to the family. 
     At my last house I also had a veggie garden.  Late one Winter in one of our local department stores I came across a package of Thai Dragon seeds. They are a type of Thai Chili.  The package said these peppers would "blow the top of your head off."  I had to try them.  They grew well in my garden.  I decided to make wings from my Thai Dragons and Marilyn's Habaneros.  For some reason I can't recall Marie wasn't there that day but my old friend from high school, Frank, was visiting.  Combining the two kinds of blisteringly hot peppers was genius.  The wings were right on the edge of "Good Lord, no one can eat these," and ecstasy. They were brutal and heavenly at the same time.  We both agreed that if they were just a little hotter they would be impossible to eat.  We greatly enjoyed them. 
    Anyway, those are the two hottest dishes I ever made.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #12 - Mar 22nd, 2020 at 8:00pm

Speaking of hot things, I'd like to mention horseradish.  It has a totally different kind of burn.  It lasts only fifteen or twenty seconds. From the second it's made horseradish starts to degrade so the fresher the better.  Consequently, making it yourself is the best way to go.
    If people knew how easy it is to make and how different fresh horseradish tastes from commercial brands more people would make it at home. 
    You need a heavy duty, durable blender or food processor.  Horseradish root is hard.  Most grocery stores have it in stock.  When you get it home peel it with a potato peeler then cut it into disks.  Put some of the disks in your blender and slowly add some white vinegar.  Go light on the vinegar.  You can always add more but you can't remove it if you add too much.  Throw in a couple of disks at a time.  If you put them all in at once you might break your blender.  Be prepared.  If it's a really good root the aroma might drive you out of the kitchen temporarily. 
     Now you have the real deal.  Though there are some good brands of commercial horseradish they can't match the home made stuff.  Enjoy.
« Last Edit: Mar 23rd, 2020 at 11:11am by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark)