Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
"Impractical Slinging" (Read 2246 times)
Funditor406
Descens

Shattered Remains. Wonder
why.

Turah, Montana
"Impractical Slinging"
Apr 28th, 2019 at 6:34pm

5 foot slings, and short sling dual wielding, among other things that don't come to my memory yet, let's talk about it.

As for dual wielding, I remember CA had a video of a man using shorter slings underhand to throw tennis balls from each of the two. The same man also demonstrates using a very long sling by folding the cord in a way that he could start a helicopter.

Any ideas as to making use of these? Or are they just a slinger's version of a party trick? Perhaps we could create new techniques that might serve these styles better?

IP Logged

magic beetle
Tiro

I like sling staffs and
slings as well

Re: "Impractical Slinging"
Reply #1 - Apr 28th, 2019 at 10:36pm

for dual slings , one hand reloading and poi like moments, 5ft It's not that bad just a bit unnecessary but you can use a few styles to make them work

IP Logged

Funditor406
Descens

why.

Turah, Montana
Reply #2 - Apr 28th, 2019 at 11:04pm

Indeed these things do have some innovative ways of being used, I just brought it up because I can't recall anybody making any thread on this. Does the dual wield have a potential to increase firing rate by a factor of two, or do the five footers go further, these are interesting problems to think about.

IP Logged

Funditor406
Descens

why.

Turah, Montana
Reply #3 - Apr 28th, 2019 at 11:16pm

My $0.02:

I imagine though you could only go so far with dual wield, literally, dual wield would eliminate a lot of energy that comes from twisting the body, unless you staggered one throw after the other, assuming you're ambidextrous.

The super long sling can throw small dense projectiles to Timpa range I imagine. Pirouette is a first option for sure, but an extreme sycamore could possibly be the most reliable and simple throws you can perform, once you practice unfolding the pouch without screwing up your cord.

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #4 - Apr 29th, 2019 at 5:29am

I think I am the guy you are talking about.... Grin

I was just fooling around with the duel hand. If practiced well and released one after the other it may be useful but the way I did it in the video, it was very weak.

The super long sling was 9 ft long folded. It is super powerful and when used with the pirouette the cords don't tangle much at all. Fun to play around for power and distance.
« Last Edit: Apr 29th, 2019 at 8:53am by Tint »  
IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #5 - Apr 29th, 2019 at 5:37am

https://youtu.be/rExCd_PV1tY

I was young and silly. I pretty much stick to helicopter and figure 8 only, these days.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #6 - Apr 29th, 2019 at 8:11am

I've used a far few long slings (not 9 foot but pretty long) and I've found starting with the sling across the shoulders is the best method. In my latest YouTube video I used a paracord sling that's 138cm from release to centre of the pouch and I'm pretty sure it's my longest sling. I'm not all that accurate with it, I still need a lot more practice, but I think I could get just as accurate with it as with a shorter sling. Of course it's pretty much entirely limited to helicopter and pirouette. I'm utterly useless with pirouette so I stick to helicopter with long slings.

https://youtu.be/c-FRlwod_T8

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #7 - Apr 29th, 2019 at 8:18am

Just remembered that this video actually shows the technique much more clearly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nJyT1KNjLU

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #8 - Apr 29th, 2019 at 8:59am

I'm interested in dual wielding slings. In hand throwing it's very easy to throw w/right then w/left ,the first stride gets you into position for the next, the stone in the opposite arm doesn't prohibit its movement in fact it can help with the throw.
but slings need turning which complicates things a lot.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #9 - Apr 30th, 2019 at 2:53pm

ask tint - it's his video Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #10 - May 3rd, 2019 at 11:05pm

When I first started slinging I experimented with ridiculously long slings.  It was an easy way to get a lot of distance.  As my form gradually improved I found that extra long slings were no longer necessary.  I could get just as much distance with a 38" sling as I could with a 72". As far as using dual slings, that's beyond my coordination.
« Last Edit: May 6th, 2019 at 7:12pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

Funditor406
Descens

why.

Turah, Montana
Reply #11 - May 6th, 2019 at 10:18am

@
Sarosh

I'm looking forward to that video! Grin

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #12 - May 19th, 2019 at 10:58am

@
The Celestial Paladin

someone needs to perfect it.
https://youtu.be/ZHxj3Op8GYg

IP Logged

Funditor406
Descens

why.

Turah, Montana
Reply #13 - May 19th, 2019 at 5:28pm

Just saw it, pretty interesting. I wonder how Byzantine would do with it considering it might make the other sling move a lot.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Kick, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Rat Man)