Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Slinging practice vid (Read 2226 times)
Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Slinging practice vid
Apr 28th, 2019 at 7:54am

Finally got over the cold that's been hanging around, the weather was actually pleaseant (though a little windy) so I finally got to do some slinging!

I'm out of practice but then again I'm always out of practice. I was mostly using one of C_A's leather and paracord slings and using Fig 8. I didn't do too badly but I did edit out a fair few misses Cheesy Not all of them though; I wanted the video longer than a few seconds. Take away for me is: I need more practice.

Oh yeah and I finally got a proper tripod so you can see what I'm doing Cheesy

https://youtu.be/c-FRlwod_T8
« Last Edit: Apr 28th, 2019 at 1:50pm by Kick »  

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Slinging practice vid
Reply #1 - Apr 28th, 2019 at 12:21pm

it's a lot easier if you actually wear the ammo bag Smiley

reason being you can keep your eyes on the target as you reload and you're not starting from scratch each throw.

Good technique for the longer sling - Puchi style Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #2 - Apr 28th, 2019 at 1:49pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Apr 28th, 2019 at 12:21pm:
it's a lot easier if you actually wear the ammo bag Smiley

reason being you can keep your eyes on the target as you reload and you're not starting from scratch each throw.

Good technique for the longer sling - Puchi style Smiley

Well the problem was I had 12 tennis balls which do fit in the bag but are pretty heavy to have hanging from the belt, strapped to my leg. I might take fewer next time so I can wear the bag comfortably.

That way of slinging long slings is my go to. It works so well. I think next time I might just take the long sling and practice for a few hours. The problem I have is when I take more than one sling I like to jump about and switch styles and sling lengths which isn't really the best way to practice.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

TheJackinati

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #3 - Apr 29th, 2019 at 12:20am

Yep, a good technique with the long sling. I tend to do the Tibetan/Polynesian/Puchi style myself but more like a Byzantine in that I release in one motion.

I personally find that I am slightly more accurate with a single-motion release, but as always, it probably differs from person to person.

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #4 - Apr 29th, 2019 at 5:41am

There is a type of pouch called the sling hopper. Used by tennis coaches that allows you to carry 30 balls comfortably.
https://images.app.goo.gl/nKwn23S12joJiUA9A

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #5 - Apr 29th, 2019 at 5:43am

https://youtu.be/966tyGsqgEc

I used to sling till my finger bleed with it Grin

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #6 - Apr 29th, 2019 at 5:54am

Nice video, my friend!
The way you load the long sling is way cool. Have to get out and try it out now!

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #7 - Apr 29th, 2019 at 8:16am

TheJackinati wrote on Apr 29th, 2019 at 12:20am:
I personally find that I am slightly more accurate with a single-motion release, but as always, it probably differs from person to person.

I've foud I need those extra rotations just to help straighten out the sling. It feels like it isn't flying quite right to start with which I think is because it's just so long. Despite it being crazy long, a little fiddly to load and harder to reset into the next throw that sling is so fun to use Cheesy

Tint wrote on Apr 29th, 2019 at 5:54am:
Nice video, my friend!
The way you load the long sling is way cool. Have to get out and try it out now!

Thanks! I was quite happy with how quicky I was able to load. With that sling it's very easy to catch the pouch at the right point so makes it nice and easy especially when I just tipped all the balls on the ground. That sling hopper looks good. I'll be going out soon with fewer balls so it's a little more comfortable with the pouch I have. When I've used it before it's been really comfortable I just overloaded it this time Cheesy

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #8 - Apr 29th, 2019 at 11:13am

Nice session.  Like the hat.  I have one of a similar style. Smiley

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #9 - Apr 29th, 2019 at 12:23pm

joe_meadmaker wrote on Apr 29th, 2019 at 11:13am:
Nice session.  Like the hat.  I have one of a similar style. Smiley

Best hat I've ever owned Cheesy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Morphy, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man)