Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
sling styles pros and cons (Read 3508 times)
magic beetle
Tiro

I like sling staffs and
slings as well

sling styles pros and cons
Apr 21st, 2019 at 12:04am

alright y'all lay on every sling style and their advantages and there disadvantages , I know this will bring up a large discussion with large disagreements but I wanna hear everyone's opinion on the topic

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Re: sling styles pros and cons
Reply #1 - Apr 21st, 2019 at 4:37am

This is less disadvantages and advantages and rather my own overview of each style. (All opinions on style are my own experiences using my slings. Other's experiences may vary. Names may vary. Opinions on distances/lengths may vary. I am currently ill in bed and got around 4 hours sleep and I'm writing this on mobile so this might turn out to be unreadable nonsense.)

(My own opinion on distances:
Short range: less than 20m
Mid-range: 20 - 60m
Long range: 60m+
This is not necessarily max potential range but max "useful" range. Some styles of throw naturally end up traveling a certain distance simply because of how they transfer power and trying to throw below or above this "natural" distance will take additional power or focus on timing of release.)

(I couldn't say exact measurements off the top of my head and how they translate to short, medium and long slings, but I can go measure some slings if need be.)

("Accuracy" and "power" are my other own subjective determining.)

Fig 8: Good for accurate throwing. Mid-range to high power. Mid-range distance. Medium length slings are best suited. Can't be done comfortably with long slings.

Helicopter: Ok accuracy. Mid-range to high power. Mid-range distance. All sling lengths can be used but longer slings might need some adaptations to wind-up.

Apache (Overhand): Good accuracy. Mid-range power. Short, maybe mid-range. Shorter slings more comfortable, long slings impossible.

Greek: Good accuracy. Mid-range power. Short, maybe mid-range. Shorter slings more comfortable, long slings can be possible but not necessarily comfortable.

Balearic: Ok accuracy. High power. Mid-range and long range. All sling lengths except very large slings.

Underhand: Ok accuracy. Mid-range power. Short range. Short slings ate best.

Pirouette: Terrible accuracy. High power. Mid to long range. All sling lengths. Medium length slings most comfortable.

Turkey Throw: Good accuracy. Mid-range power. Short range. Medium and short slings are best suited.

Did I miss any styles? Of course these are just the broad titles; I'm not going to go through every variation.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

TheJackinati

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #2 - Apr 21st, 2019 at 5:16am

Byzantine!

Polynesian/Tibetan style!

Tongue

Edit: Anyhow. I'm personally a big fan of the Byzantine and Polynesian/Tibetan style of slinging. I have been able to achieve good accuracy and long ranged throws with these two styles.

Something about a one-motion release feels really good to me, which Is probably why I prefer those releases.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #3 - Apr 21st, 2019 at 8:02am

I consider the Byzantine to just be helicopter with only the one rotation. By Polynesian/Tibetan do you mean a starting position across the shoulders? I would consider that helicopter as well but with a different starting position.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Willem208

Slinging Rocks!

South Africa
Reply #4 - Apr 22nd, 2019 at 2:18pm

I thought byzantine was facing away from the target, spin around on one foot and sidearm it at the target. Hope that explanation made sense. Now what is a 'turkey throw' @Kick?

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #5 - Apr 22nd, 2019 at 3:20pm

I think of Byzantine like David Morningstar fits it in this video. It's always been a bit unclear exactly what it is so I've just gone with the video as my definition.

https://youtu.be/dHDAXa_-gC0

Turkey throw was introduced by one of the forum members. I made a video a little while back but I'm terrible at it.

https://youtu.be/rwmcwYi_hUs

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #6 - Apr 23rd, 2019 at 4:36pm

For the most part it's dealers choice.  Some people are better at this style than that.   Apache is quick and simple. With no wind up it's easier to use from cover. It's disadvantage is it's range.  It's difficult to get much over a hundred yards with Apache.  At least for me it is. Pirouette is very powerful.  It probably has the best range of any style.  It's disadvantage is that it's not quite as accurate as other styles.    For me Underarm is the most accurate style.  I don't get quite as much range with it as I do with overhand styles though.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #7 - Apr 23rd, 2019 at 4:39pm

Kick wrote on Apr 22nd, 2019 at 3:20pm:
I think of Byzantine like David Morningstar fits it in this video. It's always been a bit unclear exactly what it is so I've just gone with the video as my definition.

https://youtu.be/dHDAXa_-gC0

Turkey throw was introduced by one of the forum members. I made a video a little while back but I'm terrible at it.

https://youtu.be/rwmcwYi_hUs

Turkey Throw is like Apache except you hold onto the pouch.

IP Logged

Frondeur

I'm the lead slinger in
a hard rock band

France
Reply #8 - Apr 24th, 2019 at 9:43am

Hello everyone!

here's my two cents on the topic:

Althought I do have a prefered slinging style, witch could be described as: greek start, one rotation, power stroke of uncertain nature (something between pure sidearm and pure overhand)
I generaly choose my style according to the terrain: Am I in high grass, or bushes? then the rotation is mor over the head, and not behind me
Is my "window" clear or not? Should I use some powerful cast to hit my target with a trajectory as flat as possible? or on the contrary do I have a good opportunity for a slow, lobbing shot, less direct but far more accurate?
Also I like to step into ùmy throws. Do the ground allow this?
And sometimes there's that bush on the right, or this barbwire just in front...

those considerations also lay a huge part in the choice of your sling-ammo combo. Have you tried your 2m (folded) artillery sling on a narrow forest path?

This being said, I don't want to diminish the factors that are evocated here and in past similar topics, regarding power or accuracy inherent to each style. But my feeling is that the "external factors" are generaly forgoten...

regards to everyone, and keep playing!
Be sur I will!

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #9 - Apr 24th, 2019 at 11:12am

I use variations of fig8 for most things.
underhand for some things, side arm for distance.
Just depends of situation and mood Smiley

Whenever someone comes up with something new I make sure I can use it at least as well as they can.

The main exception is in the pirouette, just don't see the point Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Reply #10 - Apr 24th, 2019 at 12:55pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Apr 24th, 2019 at 11:12am:
The main exception is in the pirouette, just don't see the point Smiley

Yes, you see. But the moment is short. Must react quickly.
If you look, for example, this slowmotion (in time 1:38-1:41) you see my face pointing to the target all the time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXQEAXcXL1M

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #11 - Apr 29th, 2019 at 10:48am

Actually there is a pirouette variation they use in guam that's really effective.

You actually spin the sling as you pirouette.
So you're performing a helicopter at the same time as you pirouette - time it right and you definitely get extra power.

I'll See if I can transfer a video from facebook.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

TheJackinati

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #12 - Apr 30th, 2019 at 4:48pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Apr 29th, 2019 at 10:48am:
Actually there is a pirouette variation they use in guam that's really effective.

You actually spin the sling as you pirouette.
So you're performing a helicopter at the same time as you pirouette - time it right and you definitely get extra power.

I'll See if I can transfer a video from facebook.

Oh, I want to see this! Shocked

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #13 - Apr 30th, 2019 at 5:15pm

Sorry Alex. Es ist nicht neu. Es ist nur Schick. Eine bessere Leistung gibt es nicht. 😁
Aber sieht gut aus. Mehr nicht

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Reply #14 - May 1st, 2019 at 1:24pm

CA: I understand what you mean. I love to watch the video. And look forward to it.

I use this style because it is "part of me".

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Chris, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Kick, Rat Man, Morphy)