Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
what is the use of a short sling ? (Read 3856 times)
magic beetle
Tiro

I like sling staffs and
slings as well

what is the use of a short sling ?
Apr 15th, 2019 at 6:44pm

I know that slinging is very personal and what works best for some is awful for others. I've tried short slings ( thumb to elbow [we use loop to pouch for length compared to body?]) and a medium sling ( the length of my arm) I don't really get why anyone would use a short sling. I can't really get any power or range from one , I've used Apache, fig-8 ,side arm , and Byzantine styles, would the short sling users tell me how y'all do it?  Huh Shocked
ps. I'm 6ft if that helps with the number length of the sling

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Re: what is the use of a short sling ?
Reply #1 - Apr 15th, 2019 at 10:26pm

It’s pretty simple... Short slings are good for really heavy ammo.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Apr 15th, 2019 at 11:26pm

A two ounce 27-29" balearic sling is very good for  heavy (4oz+) ammo.  Cheesy

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #3 - Apr 16th, 2019 at 4:13am

Accuracy , hunting in brush , indoors? They have their place . It's not all about launching lead over 200m

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #4 - Apr 16th, 2019 at 4:33am

Firstly, thumb to elbow is extremely short- that's what- 11-12 inches? Nobody uses slings even close to that short.

Short is considered about 24 inch, typical balearic length.

Either way short slings are faster and easier to shoot, require less space, and are generally easier to be accurate with.

I've never really got the idea of short slings being better for heavy ammo. Short *thick* slings are very safe with heavy/large ammo as they are very stable, but a short paracord sling with a slim pouch (for example) loses that advantage. It's more about thickness and stiffness.

My experience with long slings is that you can actually throw pretty damn heavy rocks far without much effort. In fact this probably maximises my launch energy of any slinging I do.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #5 - Apr 16th, 2019 at 5:52am

I consider a sling the length of an arm short.

The authenthic Balearic sling I received from Mr Livermore is this size.

I consider a sling the distance between your hand and the feet medium

And a long sling 1 meter +

So for me it would be, plus minus, respectively 60, 80, 100 cm.

So for each person it can vary. A sling is adjusted to the slinger. Ideally you carry three slings for the different tasks, for short, medium and long distances. I do notice each size being good at their task.
But that is what is nice about slinging. Even with 3 slings you are still very light and mobile.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #6 - Apr 16th, 2019 at 11:24am

JudoP wrote on Apr 16th, 2019 at 4:33am:
Either way short slings are faster and easier to shoot, require less space, and are generally easier to be accurate with.

I've never really got the idea of short slings being better for heavy ammo. Short *thick* slings are very safe with heavy/large ammo as they are very stable, but a short paracord sling with a slim pouch (for example) loses that advantage. It's more about thickness and stiffness.

My experience with long slings is that you can actually throw pretty damn heavy rocks far without much effort. In fact this probably maximises my launch energy of any slinging I do.

I would agree with this. Long is better for heavy ammo but a short fat sling is more stable.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #7 - Apr 16th, 2019 at 3:04pm

The stiffness of a short sling is indeed what makes a difference. I said in my previous post it was about 60 cm for me and I use cords that are 6.5 milimeters in diameter. Today I actually tried various sizes and at 60 cm I experience too much slack in the sling. The right spot was at a length of just over 50 cm. At that length it feels like I experience zero slack with these cords, and they really, really increase the confidence in the shot. Where the slack ends for me probably also changes with different cords. I feel very little slack with Luis' Balearic sling too and it is somewhere between 50 and 60 cm long. I also did some slinging with a sling that has the length from my hand to my feet, and it is too long for my comfort to use at shorter distances, although it is probably a medium sized sling for most. I am only 173 cm tall so. It starts to feel sloppy with slings this long at short distances. That being said, I could probably throw further with them, but not more accurate at long distances either. With a 55 cm sling I can only really throw clay to about 130 meters distance, but much more accurately than I ever could do with long slings. So If I had to choose one sling I'd go for a short one.

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Apr 16th, 2019 at 5:43pm

I've used a few Balearic style slings down to about 20" with some success. Is there a decrease in power? Yes, but there is still plenty of force behind it and often times better accuracy. As others said, there is an advantage to using a short sling in woods or tight terrain. The technique is paramount to acquiring any power, I prefer a Byzantine or Greek style with shorter slings.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #9 - Apr 17th, 2019 at 9:00am

It’s not clear that everyone is using the same measuring method when discussing the length of the sling. Are you measuring retention loop to release knot? Or measuring to the pouch?

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Reply #10 - Apr 17th, 2019 at 3:12pm

Heavy stones definitely have a long sling.

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #11 - Apr 19th, 2019 at 12:33am

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Apr 17th, 2019 at 9:00am:
It’s not clear that everyone is using the same measuring method when discussing the length of the sling. Are you measuring retention loop to release knot? Or measuring to the pouch?

Standard measuring on this forum is typically center of the pouch to release knot. (which is nearly the same as the center of the pouch to the retention loop).

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

TheJackinati

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #12 - Apr 19th, 2019 at 6:09am

I never measure from the pouch to end of release cord, because I tend to make my release cords longer than the retention cord, as I like to hold the release cord from my fist, rather than from a finger.

Edit: Probably because Hubert's sling is the best sling I've ever had, and the release cord fits into my fist. It is so soft, it feels good to hold it in the hand!

This obviously has carried on into my own slings.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #13 - Apr 19th, 2019 at 6:46am

I just hold the sling like one normally would, and measure how long it is from where you grip it, to the pouch.
Seems like a fine general standard.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #14 - Apr 19th, 2019 at 4:54pm

Es gibt eine optimale Länge.
Halten Sie die sling seitlich.
Der Beutel / Brief sollte gerade so denn Boden berühren.
Es ist eine gute Länge für sehr exaktes schießen. 😁

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Morphy, Rat Man, Kick, Chris, joe_meadmaker)