Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Making a Sling Character (Read 1634 times)
Funditor406
Descens

Shattered Remains. Wonder
why.

Turah, Montana
Making a Sling Character
Apr 3rd, 2019 at 7:32pm

For one of my stories, I wanna have a character called, "The Brazen Slinger." He's a fabled hero who used a sling made of Brazen scale metal, much like the rest of their armor, except aligned in a more flexible way. Obviously he's much stronger (what do you expect from fictional characters, c'mon) than average to be able to wear his legendary set and wield his sling, probably throws fist sized bits of lead over a long ways, and his tassel is actually a scourge of blades, so if he needs to uses it like a whip/flail hybrid thing with the tassel and weight of the sling. Of course he's gotta wear something like an Akkadian mask for a helmet with a scale beard, too good not to have.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

IP Logged

Funditor406
Descens

why.

Turah, Montana
Re: Making a Sling Character
Reply #1 - Apr 3rd, 2019 at 7:33pm

And yes with the scourge tassel, his armor has to cover his body.

IP Logged

magic beetle
Tiro

I like sling staffs and
slings as well

Reply #2 - Apr 3rd, 2019 at 10:57pm

@
The Celestial Paladin

sounds cool, what's his back story?

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Apr 4th, 2019 at 6:48am

so something like a chain-whip-sword with an offset middle pouch might work.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Funditor406
Descens

why.

Turah, Montana
Reply #4 - Apr 4th, 2019 at 8:51pm

Basically that's what this guy's sling is. Kinda like a modded chain weapon.

I haven't thought of the guy too much, other than he's a nephilim blessed by several gods to do the things he does. Was a legendary figure that armies feared for his reputation of being "indestructible", not just with armor, but many could not even touch him or even enter within at least 50 meters of him due to the accuracy. Essentially as a warrior he was the "Goliath" except with better armor, and perhaps less of jerk. Smiley

IP Logged

Funditor406
Descens

why.

Turah, Montana
Reply #5 - Apr 4th, 2019 at 8:56pm

And used a sling. Yet another Goliath subversion.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - Apr 8th, 2019 at 6:36am

Funditor406 wrote on Apr 4th, 2019 at 8:51pm:
Basically that's what this guy's sling is. Kinda like a modded chain weapon.

I haven't thought of the guy too much, other than he's a nephilim blessed by several gods to do the things he does. Was a legendary figure that armies feared for his reputation of being "indestructible", not just with armor, but many could not even touch him or even enter within at least 50 meters of him due to the accuracy. Essentially as a warrior he was the "Goliath" except with better armor, and perhaps less of jerk. Smiley

sounds like luis whistle
also bear in mind that with a sling accuray trumps strength every time.
So he'll need an accuracy superpower. No use being able to sling a 30 lb rock, if you can't hit diddly squat Smiley and also to hit anything at any kind of distance, exceptional eyesight is also a must.
can't hit what you can't see (well not intentionally, anyway) Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Apr 8th, 2019 at 10:39am

Best slingers usually started very young, like as a sheep or cattle herder, which usually means peasant background or possibly some type of nomadic history.

Social elites usually used more expensive weapons, they were usually not just more effective, they were also a sign of status.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #8 - Apr 8th, 2019 at 11:44am

There have been a few things brought up describing what the hero will be armed with and able to do.  Have you given any thought to what he may not do so well, or any weakness that he may have?  You know, the dreaded Achilles heel.

A weakness could also come in to play if/when you're putting together a nemesis for this hero.  Which brings up an interesting question.  If you were going up against a powerful and armored hero, who could take you out with his sling at 50 m, what would you want to be armed with?  Likely a shield.  Perhaps another range weapon?

IP Logged

Funditor406
Descens

why.

Turah, Montana
Reply #9 - Apr 9th, 2019 at 8:14pm

This character isn't a main character, in fact he's kinda a "historical bias" type character, his legacy was that basically just because he hadn't died in battle, he's just a bit of a power fantasy people of this world (that I'm creating) aspire to. Sorta like how people misconceived the 1300 Spartans into 300 fighting millions of Persians, but we today don't know the truth behind the 1300 as it still sounds like they fought millions of Persians based on what Greeks tell us.

The only thing concrete about this guy's story is (it's actually the game I've been creatively [not coding or anything] developing) you can find his armor in a barren field. That's the only absolute I intend.

IP Logged

Funditor406
Descens

why.

Turah, Montana
Reply #10 - Apr 9th, 2019 at 8:21pm

Hypothetically, you would want a sturdy shield, probably should be an all around brawn monster if you hope to take the guy down, as perhaps the counter equipment would be ridiculously heavy.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Kick, Chris, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Morphy)