Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Practice ammo (Read 355 times)
NooneOfConsequence
Funditor

Texas
Practice ammo
Mar 30th, 2019 at 9:13pm

I bought a dozen foam (American) footballs. As ammo goes they’re a lot of fun!  They hold a great spiral coming out of the sling. Not the cheapest ammunition, but it might be a good alternative to sockballs.  They weigh 14g, and you can even get a good curve on it thanks to the Magnus Effect.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01BGHMXIW/ref=sspa_mw_detail_0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

"Life IS pain. Anyone who says otherwise is selling something.” -The Dread Pirate Roberts

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Descens

PA, USA
Re: Practice ammo
Reply #1 - Mar 30th, 2019 at 11:08pm

Cool idea!  With the fairly small weigh to size ratio, I'd think they wouldn't fly very far.  But the shape could help counter that.  What kind of range do you get with them?

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Funditor

Texas
Reply #2 - Mar 30th, 2019 at 11:17pm

My back yard only gives me about 30 or 40 feet. Based on the one that went over the fence I’d say you could probably get at least double or triple that, but I haven’t tried yet.

"Life IS pain. Anyone who says otherwise is selling something.” -The Dread Pirate Roberts

IP Logged

Mersa
Funditor

Druid

Australia
Reply #3 - Mar 31st, 2019 at 1:55am

Look like a good choice for sling wars, safety glasses on and let's go!!

IP Logged

vetryan15
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

south Jersey.
Reply #4 - Mar 31st, 2019 at 7:24am

Years ago I tried the small nerf footballs that had tails, since I was still new to the sling, i didn't have good luck. But now they are packed away from my move. So if i ever come across em again, i will try again.  I thought they would be good for the sling dodgeball game, 'fundaball'
These look promising though.

IP Logged

Kick
Interfector Viris Spurii

Finland
Reply #5 - Mar 31st, 2019 at 1:43pm

I have these small American football shaped bouncy balls that are the perfect size and weight for slinging but are just too bouncy and hard. They could take someone's eye out I'm sure and they're super unpredictable just dropping them let alone coming out of a sling. I've kpt them around just incase I ever want to make a mould using them.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Slinging.org Administrator

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - Apr 2nd, 2019 at 3:07pm

Hmmm, you could use polyurethane expanding building foam and inject into a mould or just carve into shape.

pretty cheap and if you confine it initially it stays fairly dense.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Chris, Rat Man) - (Moderator Group: Forum Moderator)