Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Anyone know about setting up raspberry pi ? (Read 1028 times)
Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Anyone know about setting up raspberry pi ?
Mar 20th, 2019 at 12:23pm

so i'm trying to get this bloody thing set up for my mate.
when it's done it'll monitor overflying aircraft transmissions and upload the data to a website for people to see what's flying where.

I'm using raspbian stretch light - no desktop.
following these instructions:
https://radar.lowflyingwales.co.uk/raspberry-pi-installation-instructions/

Currently got as far as installing the image, boots up fine.

However it won't connect to my wireless network.
When I look at the sdcard  - both the ssh and wireless configuration files have vanished.

I can put them back, take the card out and put it back in and they are still there.
But everytime I booth the pi, they get deleted and hence, no internet connection.
HELP !

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Re: Anyone know about setting up raspberry pi ?
Reply #1 - Mar 23rd, 2019 at 12:59am

Which pi are you using? 2? 3? Zero?  What wifi hardware?

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - Apr 3rd, 2019 at 3:36pm

cracked it.
The wifi config file linked to just didn;t work.
Found another one that did and it went quite well after that.

My mate's now monitoring all the planes within quite a large area of his house.

Really neat. Once you're on his wifi network, you can access the map and plane info from any browser.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #3 - Apr 6th, 2019 at 12:33am

I love the rpi!  Dirt cheap and really useful little computers. Remember that whole thing about the $99 OLPC laptop for starving children in Africa (or something)? Somehow the hobbyist community came up with a $10-$20 alternative that works better Smiley

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #4 - Apr 16th, 2019 at 6:27am

yeah I have to admit I was really impressed with the whole deal.
He's now got a permament setup in place that runs off 5 volts.

If they'd bring one out with 2gb ram instead of 1 - then you'd have an excellent base for an android or linux system you could velcro to the back of a telly or monitor.

I already have android tv boxes with 1 gb - and they really need 2.
About the same price as a pi too.

we paid £50 and got a decent case, power supply and 16gb card.

When you think how far things have come in the last 20 years, it's mind blowing.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Chris, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini)