Send Topic Print
Silencing the sling (Read 3439 times)
Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Silencing the sling
Mar 12th, 2019 at 7:09am

This is something I've been pondering, can you make a sling more silent and still functioning and high performance ??

A cracker (tapered whip end) in my experience helps with performance but also makes a lot of noise, the "whoosh" sound of cords in rotations also are quite loud in a very quiet place . And as sarosh discovered odd shaped stones make a loud "vroom" .
So does anyone hold the key to a silent sling.
Even paracord has its own distinct sound.
Is it possible that a sling could become almost silent ???
Is smooth ammo enough to reduce the glande noise???

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Silencing the sling
Reply #1 - Mar 12th, 2019 at 8:16am

pcord makes a lot of noise. Five strand+ slings make very little and can be braided so they wont crack.

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #2 - Mar 12th, 2019 at 10:47am

I am also interested in silent slings. people don't like to hear 100-300 whip cracks when eating lunch.

Mersa wrote on Mar 12th, 2019 at 7:09am:
A cracker (tapered whip end) in my experience helps with performance

i really would like to test it somehow. from what i understand it is used more for clean release (accuracy) than efficiency(energy/ speed) .

Mersa wrote on Mar 12th, 2019 at 7:09am:
odd shaped stones make a loud "vroom"

heavier round/ellipsoid stones if they have rough surface they may produce a sound like a soft wind through leaves. so no angles and lower velocity ammo will produce the least noise.

Haven't used lead that much but it was pretty silent .

The most difficult sound for me to eliminate is the whip crack . With no tapering, a little more mass at the release knot and no loose fibers the sound can be lowered to a "knocking at the door" level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__NpItACbBo
look at the end of the video the last pictures to understand better.

if you take the same design and scale it up in thickness but don't scale up the ammo mass then you'll get problems such as late releasing. the heavier the cords the higher your lowest projectile mass limit gets for clean releasing....

The "whoosh" sound is always lower than the whip crack and more gentle (so i don't fiddle with it). the only observations i've made are that round braid ropes and very thin cords produce the most sound.

long slings and long range slings have that problem.

whoosh from the pouch? I have no idea . I use thin split pouch so no prob Wink

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #3 - Mar 15th, 2019 at 12:30am

Try putting a wooden bead before the release knot.  This will pretty much kill the crack but hardly affect your sling's performance.

IP Logged

Samuel
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

León, Spain
Reply #4 - Mar 16th, 2019 at 6:58pm

I've found that thin 6 strain twine braided, around 70cm long (bended) makes basically not sound at all with proper amo. But takes practice to get acuracy. Other problem is that it worns out quite fast.

I'll post a picture when posible.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Mar 17th, 2019 at 6:01pm

Rat Man ich habe Holzperlen versucht. Sie brechen.
Meine Lösung ist diese. Sehr leise 🤫

https://fundamittere.jimdo.com/schleudergalerie/schleudern-von-jaegoor/

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #6 - Aug 7th, 2021 at 3:51am

Silence is important for me also. It makes it more pleasant for me to sling. I've used thick woven tabs on the end of my slings (woven from the same cord) and they do reduce the noise. But it has recoil ( it literally recoils after a cast). which isn't pleasant
It's because the tabs I used are relatively heavy.
A better alternative would be a tab that's light so it doesn't recoil but still acts like a brake and sonic-crack killer for the release cord after the projectile cast.
A lighter tab relative to the release cord is the the solution. With 4 mm poly cord / paracord. I am now experimenting simply taking 2 more ~10 cm pieces of cord and securing it it on the end of my release cord in a flat manner, so that I have 3 cord strands to hold on to (using a full fist grip). This has no large recoil or whip crack, reduces noise while providing good grip and clean release

keep in mind I use the word 'paracord' but in reality I use similar 4mm no brand poly cords and rarely use actual brand-paracord. The real stuff has more stretch when I compare these cords by making them into bow strings and putting them unto bows, so little reason for me to opt for the real stuff.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #7 - Aug 7th, 2021 at 8:19am

Do the opposite of a whip sling. Make a slightly reverse tapered release cord with a tab on the end. Or use a wool cord with a tab. Very quiet.

IP Logged

MikeG

Slinging Rocks!

Bayern-Germany
Reply #8 - Aug 7th, 2021 at 11:41am

This is my most silent sling.
It is a balearic style sling made out of 15 strands and the release knot is much thicker than the release cord.
It makes no sound, but works as well as a louder sling

IP Logged

czechslinger1.0
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Aug 7th, 2021 at 3:19pm

My aproach to silent slings would be to just make a thick braided sling just as I am used to, but instead of tapering the release cord as balearic slings do make it the same thickness and use a release knot and then cut off the tassel so it is so short it can't crack and the knot helps to soow it down. Actually my first braided sling was like that and it was most silent sling I've ever made. Once then I was slinging in the woods a buck came as close as 30m to me and didn't get spooked by my slinging, I could release a stone at my target(not the buck!) and it wouldn't react. Of course they are not used to being hunter here.

But I don't use silent slings, they are not as fun as the loud ones, helps keeping people and animals away from my target area!

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #10 - Aug 7th, 2021 at 4:28pm

There are times when noise is desired and times when it's not.

I think I found a remarkably simple solution for silencing 4 mm poly cord slings. At least it does kill the sonic crack and
reduction of the swishing noise. At the end of the release cord, simply create a ~10 cm overhand loop. The same one we often use as a retention loop but now larger. Now just grip the overhand knot as your release knot and hold the rest of the loop in your hand.  Now there are no loose fibres that can crack and the ~10 cm long loop creates drag after release reducing the swish.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #11 - Aug 7th, 2021 at 7:25pm

A wooden bead is not recommended.  I tried.  It can break and hurt yourself.  I have a pretty scar from it on my leg.  Something that makes a sling quieter is a large tassel on the letter and on the hold barrel.  But they will also lose performance.  Tibetans do this.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #12 - Aug 8th, 2021 at 6:42am

You basically want a cord end/release tab that actively slows the cord down.

I don't get cracks with paracord knots, but they make a fairly loud noise that seems to carry

When I was slinging at hodd hill, I 'occasionally' did a few ammo less throws, just to see Pete - 100 metres away - duck and flinch every time whistle

Mind you when I slung the golf balls directly at him, because I was getting a full 90 degree curve out of them, he practically crapped himself whistle

So a release tab that also has a lot of extra air resistance would probably do the job.
As far as quiet ammo goes, spherical ammo doesn't make much noise.

Moulded spheres and a slowed down release cord would probably get it as quiet as possible.

So a compact release tab that unfolds into something with a much larger surface area should work. Or shaped for maximum air resistance. I'm not keen on tabs as you can't easily adjust for different grips.
But you know me and widget challenges Wink

Not sure how it would effect the sling performance though.
Hmm, got a few ideas, I'll have a play tonight while the torus and flying saucer disc moulds are being made Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #13 - Aug 8th, 2021 at 9:39am

Ill also sometimes put an "air brake" on the end of the release cord. Both to help catch the air and to quiet the shot. Never much cared for loud cracks on my shots. Although they can be fun at times I find it attracts more eyes , both animal and human, than I want.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #14 - Aug 8th, 2021 at 10:14am

wowsers

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Kick, Chris, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Rat Man, Morphy)