Send Topic Print
long bow in progress (Read 14934 times)
vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Re: long bow in progress
Reply #60 - Dec 6th, 2019 at 3:39am

I hope so, been reading about it. My knife making mentor makes bows, but we never got around to making one before my move. But if i have questions.  He is there to help.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #61 - Feb 17th, 2020 at 7:33pm

I just finished a D bow with limbs that pull evenly throughout the draw length, but one limb has slightly more set than the other. Does anyone know which limb should be the top limb? Does it matter?

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #62 - Feb 17th, 2020 at 9:55pm

Nice!  I'm looking forward to a picture of that one.

The limb with more set I'd probably put at the top.  If your bow has one limb that's bending a little more, that should be at the top.  And reversely, if you have a limb that's a little stiffer, it should be at the bottom.

The reasoning behind this is that the handle of the bow is in the center.  When shooting the bow, the arrow will be on top of your hand, effectively making the upper limb a little bit shorter.  You want the limb that bends more to be the "shorter one" so the stress on both limb is as even as possible.

All that said, if you have your bow set up so the arrow is lined up with the exact center of the bow, then it doesn't matter so much.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #63 - Feb 18th, 2020 at 5:21pm

Thanks joe! I place the arrow pass 3/4" above ctr. This bow shoots a little better with the higher set (1 5/8") limb up, but I thought it would be stessed more and develop more set. Seems sensible to shoot the bow the way it shoots best and try to ignore a lttle more set. After all, the bow knows best  Smiley

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #64 - Apr 26th, 2020 at 8:48pm

string follow or set has been 1 1/2" more or less top and bottom limbs on all my bows. The bows are all 1 1/4 to 1 1/2" wide at the fades. Thought i could beat this much set by going to 1 3/4" wide. Got under an inch permanent set. Over 2" immediate set Sad
This on a 68" n-n self bow. Have decided i must get over the inevitable string follow or be ok with backing bows, which in my humble? op are not self bows.
Below is my latest. It is 1 3/4" at the fades, running paralell past ctr. One half inch at the knocks. Here i am at 48lbs @ 25" with a very little work left to do. This bow ended up at 45 lbs @28" with the set mentioned above. Plenty of hand shock for the first dozen or so shots. By the time i shot it fifty times and was up to 3/4 draw, i could only feel a little vibration.
So, now i am thinking that less than one inch of permanent set may be a good thing even if it is slowing arrow speed. Anyone agree?

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #65 - Apr 26th, 2020 at 9:18pm

Less than one inch is just fine. It’s not a cut and dry answer on this question. You can make a bow with zero set if it was three inches wide and quite long but the mass would kill efficiency. Of course you can also make a bow with very little set with good efficiency but that’s just a process that comes from practice.  A little set could mean you are correctly lowering the mass to be properly balanced with energy storage or it could mean the bow is too dry or the bow is overbuilt. Consider the Traditional Chinese Composite bow. Tons of reflex, garbage efficiency. It’s super overbuilt. Set/reflex isn’t everything.

If you don’t have it already consider looking into the Traditional Bowyers Bible vol. 4 and reading the chapters on heat treating, the mass principle and proper tillering techniques based on the front view profile of a bow. That’s a good introduction to getting efficient bows.

That’s a fine looking bow Walter. Well done man!

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #66 - Apr 26th, 2020 at 9:29pm

Thanks Morphy  Smiley

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #67 - Nov 27th, 2020 at 2:11pm

No more school and just lost in all the free time. So I reread this entire thread. It's one of my favorites. Walter you look like a freaking stud standing there with that home made longbow on your shoe. So glad you're finding satisfaction in bow making.

This reminds me of a thought someone had earlier.  Now that our man Kick is getting into bow making we actually have "a lot" of regulars that are interested in the subject.
Is it time to actually have a sub forum dedicated to the topic? Personally I think so.

CA if you see this what do you think?

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #68 - Nov 27th, 2020 at 2:21pm

I would be interested in that.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #69 - Nov 27th, 2020 at 3:55pm

I 3rd that statement.  Definitely would be interested in that sub form

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #70 - Nov 27th, 2020 at 5:51pm

oh yeah Smileyy

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #71 - Nov 27th, 2020 at 10:44pm

I'd be interested in a sub forum too. I made so many bows when I was young. I could tiller so well. I was just figuring out, via trial and error, that you needed to not cut through wood fibers on the back of the bow, when I was gifted the traditional bowyers bible. It was great to get so much good information so fast. It was also self-satisfying to realize that much of it I had figured out on my own, and it was humbling and a bit disappointing to see all the stuff that I hadn't figured out.  Funny thing is, I haven't really made any bows since I got the book(s).  But I recently acquired a stave that I really want to try make a recurve from. I just haven't made time to do it yet. 

Walter, amazing looking bow. I hope to have as well of a tillered bow as that. I never quite understood the worry about the set though. I've never had a self-bow that didn't take some set. I was actually very amazed reading the TBB that some bows can take as little as 1". I never achieved anything close to that. The bows still shot arrows just fine.
« Last Edit: Nov 28th, 2020 at 12:04am by IronGoober »  

John R.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #72 - Nov 28th, 2020 at 9:18am

IronGoober wrote on Nov 27th, 2020 at 10:44pm:
I'd be interested in a sub forum too. I made so many bows when I was young. I could tiller so well. I was just figuring out, via trial and error, that you needed to not cut through wood fibers on the back of the bow, when I was gifted the traditional bowyers bible. It was great to get so much good information so fast. It was also self-satisfying to realize that much of it I had figured out on my own, and it was humbling and a bit disappointing to see all the stuff that I hadn't figured out.  Funny thing is, I haven't really made any bows since I got the book(s).  But I recently acquired a stave that I really want to try make a recurve from. I just haven't made time to do it yet. 

Walter, amazing looking bow. I hope to have as well of a tillered bow as that. I never quite understood the worry about the set though. I've never had a self-bow that didn't take some set. I was actually very amazed reading the TBB that some bows can take as little as 1". I never achieved anything close to that. The bows still shot arrows just fine.

So when I got into primitive weapons there was effectively no internet. I would just read encyclopedia entries on any weapon I could think of lol. So I went to the local library and asked if they had any books on bows and arrows. They had Bows And Arrows of the Native Americans by Jim Hamm.

I read that thing so many times. I still have it complete with the "Property of the Harris County Library System" or some such on the side. Can't tell you what that book and Jim Hamm did for my life. It was like throwing gasoline on embers. Wow. Then I got the Bowyers Bibles and other books and things went crazy. 30 years later I still can't even write this without wanting to go out and immediately start a bow.  Grin Grin

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #73 - Nov 28th, 2020 at 9:29am

@
IronGoober

Thanks for sayin
Set slows the arrow, but a bow with a lot of set can be a sweet shooter.
I recently heard about "no set tillering". Def going to check it out. Not looking for 0 set, but consistently less than 1.5" would be nice.

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #74 - Nov 28th, 2020 at 11:10am

@walter, just curious i am still learning the terminology for archery.  But on your handle, the block of wood. Is that the riser? Did you just glue it on? What is the purpose?.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Chris, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner)