Send Topic Print
long bow in progress (Read 5381 times)
vetryan15
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Mainers
Re: long bow in progress
Reply #60 - Dec 6th, 2019 at 3:39am

I hope so, been reading about it. My knife making mentor makes bows, but we never got around to making one before my move. But if i have questions.  He is there to help.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #61 - Feb 17th, 2020 at 7:33pm

I just finished a D bow with limbs that pull evenly throughout the draw length, but one limb has slightly more set than the other. Does anyone know which limb should be the top limb? Does it matter?

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Funditor

PA, USA
Reply #62 - Feb 17th, 2020 at 9:55pm

Nice!  I'm looking forward to a picture of that one.

The limb with more set I'd probably put at the top.  If your bow has one limb that's bending a little more, that should be at the top.  And reversely, if you have a limb that's a little stiffer, it should be at the bottom.

The reasoning behind this is that the handle of the bow is in the center.  When shooting the bow, the arrow will be on top of your hand, effectively making the upper limb a little bit shorter.  You want the limb that bends more to be the "shorter one" so the stress on both limb is as even as possible.

All that said, if you have your bow set up so the arrow is lined up with the exact center of the bow, then it doesn't matter so much.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #63 - Feb 18th, 2020 at 5:21pm

Thanks joe! I place the arrow pass 3/4" above ctr. This bow shoots a little better with the higher set (1 5/8") limb up, but I thought it would be stessed more and develop more set. Seems sensible to shoot the bow the way it shoots best and try to ignore a lttle more set. After all, the bow knows best  Smiley

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Rat Man) - (Moderator Group: Forum Moderator)