Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print
long bow in progress (Read 14877 times)
Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Re: long bow in progress
Reply #30 - Jun 2nd, 2019 at 5:05pm

Looks great! Can't wait to see it all finished up.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #31 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 10:44am

Nice job!

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #32 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 9:42pm

Thanks! Love this bow. Not just because it is my first. When I was shooting it in, I was first surprised by its speed and how hard it hit and then realized I did not feel any shock in my shooting hand. It is a very fast, smooth and hard hitting bow and yes, I know I got lucky. Followed the teaching in Bowyers Bible closer than the King James Embarrassed...
Because of this, I could not sell the bow to my buyer. He wants antique looking bows for wall hangers. Explained my dilemma and he was ok with it, but asked me to sell him good looking bows that are prettier than useful! No doubt that will happen Wink

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #33 - Jun 13th, 2019 at 12:41pm

Shoot that's the best kind of buyer. A truly well made good shooting bow takes far more skill than a pretty bow. I did notice the tips we're looking quite good. Especially for a newer bow maker. Most tend to overbuild them a bit out of caution. I'm not surprised it's a shooter based on the design. Looking forward to more bows Walter! I don't have the time, let me live vicariously through you! I just want to LIVE Walter! Lol.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #34 - Jun 23rd, 2019 at 4:24pm

The almost finished bow. Decided to add tip overlays, which will be the last thing I do to it.
It has a bendy handle with an arrow rest. I put a little leather padding on the belly side and wrapped the handle with reverse wrapped hemp. Not pretty, but comfy and the padding and wrapping can be removed in just a couple minutes. The shelf is glued on.

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #35 - Jun 23rd, 2019 at 4:42pm

Looks great!  It sounds like you're running into what I've dealt with on several occasions.  Just when the bow is about done, you have the thought, "I should do this to it too."  Sometimes it seems like you'll never get to the end.  Cheesy

I like the idea of a hemp wrapped handle.  I've always just used a leather wrap.  I might have to try that on a future bow.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #36 - Jun 23rd, 2019 at 8:19pm

Beautiful!

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #37 - Jun 23rd, 2019 at 9:21pm

@
joe_meadmaker

@
Morphy Thanks for your positive comments!
Anyone make ther own arrows?

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #38 - Jun 23rd, 2019 at 11:02pm

walter wrote on Jun 23rd, 2019 at 9:21pm:
Anyone make ther own arrows?

I did once.  A handful of years ago I took a workshop on arrowsmithing and fletching.  During the workshop I finished 6 arrows that had already been started, and completed 6 more from beginning to end.  It was very interesting, and I always meant to start doing it at home.  But then I started looking at all the equipment I wanted to get (fletching jig, fletching burner, scale to measure spine weight).  The cost added up pretty quickly so I never took the step to start buying the equipment.  It's still something I would like to do some day.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #39 - Jun 24th, 2019 at 5:20pm

Yes, arrow making is a lot of fun. It can be as complicated or simple as you want. Footed arrows are beautiful and fun but my favorite ones to make are shoot arrows with a thumb plane.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #40 - Jul 10th, 2019 at 10:18pm

Second bow; 40lb @ 28". The tips are juniper. Now I have a target and a hunting bow Cheesy

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #41 - Jul 10th, 2019 at 11:59pm

Those tips look beautiful!  How about a shot of that thing at full draw.  Wink

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #42 - Jul 11th, 2019 at 11:03am

That looks really nice. Great work!

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #43 - Jul 11th, 2019 at 11:32am

Thanks! A few more pics. Will get one at full draw as soon as the s o has a few minutes to spare. Could not get the pic without her. She also has a better camera  Wink

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #44 - Jul 12th, 2019 at 12:47pm

I just rediscovered this page which I've had bookmarked for an age now. I would love to try this out but bamboo isn't exactly growing wild over here in Finland, particularly not at the size needed. Still I thought this might be of interest:

https://sensiblesurvival.org/2012/03/24/build-a-bamboo-survival-bow-in-30-minute
s/

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Rat Man)