Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print
long bow in progress (Read 14878 times)
Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Re: long bow in progress
Reply #15 - Mar 15th, 2019 at 6:24pm

haha a hammer big enough can be a solution to everything.

i use this kind of scale : https://www.amazon.de/ECD-Germany-H%C3%A4ngewaage-Analog-Forstwirtschaft/dp/B07L...

only difference  max is 100kg

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #16 - Mar 15th, 2019 at 8:22pm

45lbs @ 231/2". Think I have a hinge Sad

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #17 - Mar 16th, 2019 at 4:18am

i dont see it from the photo, there might be  picture distortion from camera.
I don't understand 231/2".

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #18 - Mar 16th, 2019 at 9:57am

23 and 1/2 inches draw length. It looks like there is a slight hinge on ghe bottom (right) limb just past the fades.

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #19 - Mar 18th, 2019 at 10:12pm

I have to keep droppng the weight due to disc disease and a hernia patch that I have ridged. Not much pain from either physical problem, but I really do not want  another hernia operation Angry.
I am at 45lbs @ 24 1/2" in this pic. Going to 27" and will sand the crap out of this bow, which is already sold. Next one too Huh Thknk I got rid of the hinge today.

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #20 - Apr 10th, 2019 at 7:19pm

Hit a stone wall. aridity. serious lack of moisture in the air. Humidity as low as 26%. Highest was 51%.  LOL, draw length would decrease a couple inches every day @ 45lb.
Going to get a 4" diameter pvc pipe to keep a bow I am working on. Should be able to get and hold 50% in the tube.
Pic of braced bow and drawn to 22 @ 45lbs, which I believe to really be 28".

rob_1.jpg (178 KB | 41 )
rob_1.jpg
rob_1_001.jpg (252 KB | 53 )
rob_1_001.jpg

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #21 - Apr 11th, 2019 at 9:51am

The moisture drop is a concern.  If the moisture content of the wood gets too low, the bow will more liable to break.  The PVC pipe idea sounds like it could work.  Another thing you might try is to put a coat of oil on the bow.  I don't normally oil a bow until it's finished.  But I don't see why you couldn't earlier.  Obviously as you're tillering, you'd need to re-oil that area when you stop for the day.

The bow is looking really good Smiley

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #22 - Apr 11th, 2019 at 7:08pm

Thanks joe. I want to stain this bow with cherry stain and then put several coats of some kind of varnish to slow down the evaporation rate or to keep it from sucking up too much moisture (it's supposed to be going to Minnesota).
But first, I have to rehydrate it back to 9 or 10% moisture content. Hence the pvc with several little tobacco humidifiers.
I knew I was going to have trouble with aridity, but it has dropped sooner and faster than I expected. By May and most of June, it will drop to 10 and even 6% Undecided
Right now it is

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #23 - Apr 11th, 2019 at 8:26pm

I see.  The PVC chamber is a good thought.  And if it does work well, that will certainly be beneficial for working on a bow over a long period of time.  I look forward to seeing it once you have it finished.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #24 - Apr 20th, 2019 at 6:38pm

The hydration chamber is a good idea. I'm convinced shifting MC is one of the biggest unseen causes of bow issues, at least in the long term. Hydration Chambers let you keep the bow at it's original performance easier.

You may have considered these options but in your part of the country hickory is king. It will shrug off all but the worst MC abuse and shoot all the faster for it. If you want to get really evil with your design you can do boo/hickory or sinew/tempered hickory (which will shrug off virtually all MC issues, or sinew/juniper etc. Boo/Osage will also be good. White Oak is also worth a shot. I've gotten away with murder with it. Avoid yew, red cedar and other such woods. Red oak is also sort of an iffy one in those conditions but that largely depends on the grade you get. I once found a dark red board of red oak that felt as least as dense and heavy as an Osage board of similar dimensions. Still kicking myself that I didn't buy it.

Do you have any other bows planned? It's hard to build just one.  Wink

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #25 - Apr 20th, 2019 at 8:55pm

LOL, I have 3 more! Bought another board yesterday; started on it today. It's 1 1/2" wide x 3/4 x 6' southern red oak. Got the profile done today. Will work down the belly, floor tiller and cut in nocks tomorrow. That is the plan anyway.

Haven't seen any northern red oak or hickery here. Home depot does have birch, but I couldn't find a piece with close to straight grain.
What do you think would be a good finnish that would help keep moisture in?

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #26 - Apr 21st, 2019 at 2:29pm

I've always leaned towards spar urathane. It's everywhere, comes in a spray can for even applications and with 7 or so thin coats does a good enough job. That and your pvc pipe should pretty much take care of issues. When in doubt just add a few more coats.

I've seen some people who will dilute heavy duty epoxy with acetone and use a disposable spray applicator. I imagine that creates a pretty heavy duty coat. Super glue is another that takes awhile but I've seen good results with it.

Lastly you might consider marine spar varnish. Ive not used it but it's an intriguing idea.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #27 - Apr 21st, 2019 at 2:56pm

I use a 50/50 mix of linseed oil and shellac.  Although this is more of a continual process rather than a one and done.  I give my bows a fresh coat every year or so.  The oil mixture smells really nice and the finish builds up over time.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #28 - Jun 2nd, 2019 at 4:08pm

The moment finally arrived. Twenty seven inches at 47 lbs Smiley

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #29 - Jun 2nd, 2019 at 4:25pm

Wrapped the handle area with 2mm hemp with a short wedge of wood wrapped in for a shelf.  Shot it in this am. Love it! The shelf and wrapped handle work good, but look like crap. Going to try padding the belly area of the handle with leather to build it up some and wrap that with leather .

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Rat Man)