Send Topic Print
Two stones technique (Read 3246 times)
Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Two stones technique
Feb 24th, 2019 at 2:35pm

Apparently in the "Cave Bear" series

https://medium.com/@SarahScullin/things-ayla-invented-in-the-clan-of-the-cave-be
ar-books-by-jean-m-auel-648c100cb753

(no. 21)

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Re: Two stones technique
Reply #1 - Feb 26th, 2019 at 11:30am

How that site has it listed, the meaning could be misinterpreted.  The technique the main character developed wasn't throwing two stones at once.  She just learned how to throw two stones in quick succession.

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #2 - Feb 27th, 2019 at 4:12pm

Good lord someone who's read Auel

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Feb 27th, 2019 at 8:22pm

Two   Embarrassed

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #4 - Feb 27th, 2019 at 9:41pm

I read Clan of the Cave Bear just because of the slinging. In the book Ayla could sling a stone, catch another with the sling pouch by tossing it in mid air and sling the second stone even stronger than the first so the two stones hit her target almost at the same time....the author obviously doesn't sling!

But it spawned my interest in rapid firing techniques though.

IP Logged

RS
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Mar 4th, 2019 at 11:48pm

Tint wrote on Feb 27th, 2019 at 9:41pm:
I read Clan of the Cave Bear just because of the slinging. In the book Ayla could sling a stone, catch another with the sling pouch by tossing it in mid air and sling the second stone even stronger than the first so the two stones hit her target almost at the same time....the author obviously doesn't sling!

But it spawned my interest in rapid firing techniques though.

cant do it by throwing ammo up in the air but i got friends who can by helicoptering one stone then lifting up another and catching it in the sling pouch then sling with one rotation and release with accuracy...one guy can do it fast and keep it going for as long as he has stones within reach.  another can do the same but about half the speed but still hits what he is aiming at. i've done two and a half, meaning the third stone came flying out before release and i did it really sllloooowwww.  but the one friend...well...not a friend, i really do not care much for the guy though i owe him a lot more than i could ever repay, he is truly the best slinger to ever live i am sure......he does it like magic or something.  so perhaps it is jealousy on my part

like everything with the sling it just takes practice.  the more practice the better ones gets.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #6 - Mar 5th, 2019 at 4:07pm

RS wrote on Mar 4th, 2019 at 11:48pm:
helicoptering one stone then lifting up another and catching it in the sling pouch then sling with one rotation and release with accuracy

Is there video of that anywhere?  That would be very cool to see.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Mar 6th, 2019 at 5:29am

https://youtu.be/tvW9M7PG9Vo

Ich finde Ayla gut. Aber die zwei Steine technik halte ich nicht für realistisch.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #8 - Mar 6th, 2019 at 6:30am

forget anything and everything RS says - it's all 100% fiction.
To be honest I thought we'd got rid of him.

The clan of the cave bear has no basis in reality.
She did no research into either slinging or neanderthals.

I got about 2 chapters into the first book before giving up in disgust.

Two stones in the air at once is very doable.

And as jaegoor regularly demonstrates, most things can be done with enough practice.

But two stones from one pouch at the same time, both hitting different targets - which is also in the cavebear books - that won't work.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Mar 6th, 2019 at 8:38am

Eine Methode gibt es noch. 😁 😁 😁

Aber mehr als ein Spaß ist es nicht.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #10 - Mar 6th, 2019 at 10:19am

joe_meadmaker wrote on Mar 5th, 2019 at 4:07pm:

Asking RS for video evidence of an incredible slinging feat? Good luck. We haven't even gotten book titles out of him for his historical claims so far. "An old book on slinging" is about as far as we've got when it comes to evidence and references.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #11 - Mar 6th, 2019 at 10:20am

Thanks for the video link Jaegoor.  Great stuff!  I like the picture too.  I'll have to give that a try Cheesy

@CA - I agree that Clan of the Cave Bear doesn't line up with current information of neanderthals.  As well as other inaccuracies.  But I wonder how much of that is because of the available information, as well as how difficult it may have been to find accurate information, at the time it was written.

That aside, I think this book did something else.  Which was to bring slinging (at least to an extent) into the public eye.  For me personally, I was aware of slings.  I had heard of David and Goliath.  I remember playing the game King's Quest, in which you can find a sling to kill a giant.  But it wasn't until after reading Cave Bear that my interest peaked enough that I wanted to make a sling and try it.  So I do tip my hat to Auel for that.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #12 - Mar 6th, 2019 at 10:34am

Kick wrote on Mar 6th, 2019 at 10:19am:
joe_meadmaker wrote on Mar 5th, 2019 at 4:07pm:

Asking RS for video evidence of an incredible slinging feat? Good luck. We haven't even gotten book titles out of him for his historical claims so far. "An old book on slinging" is about as far as we've got when it comes to evidence and references.

Ha! I, for one, welcome the return of our “undocumented noodler”. His sources may not exist, but his posts are always entertaining... especially when people fall for it. I still chuckle at the thought of “Jesus the Noodler” or imagining gullible slingers slapping the water with flat rocks to try to catch a fish!  LOL

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #13 - Mar 6th, 2019 at 4:15pm

Don't completely write RS off, he did give us the turkey throw , the rest however is likely bs.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

funditor
Descens

Ceteram censeo, rem funditam
esse

Vienna, Austria
Reply #14 - Mar 13th, 2019 at 6:04am

Once I got a proper book reference from RS about south American Inca culture using slings,  just wanted to state that also...

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Chris, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Kick)