Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
I Am the 947th Cheapest Person On Earth (Read 7752 times)
AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Re: I Am the 947th Cheapest Person On Earth
Reply #30 - Apr 19th, 2019 at 6:50am

Only buy back here is on larger >1L plastic bottles and beer-sized glass bottles. It will usually say it on the label. No refunds on small plastic bottles or cans. Although most cans here are aluminium, and they're worth like 1.5 cents a pop in scrap value. Cans are everywhere though. If you're homeless you could probably collect a few hundred a day and sell them at the scrap yard, just enough to make a few bucks for daily bread. But then again, begging pays much more 

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #31 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 3:02pm

My cheapness knows no bounds.  After four and a half years of faithful service my dishwasher broke yesterday.  Today I did the dishes by hand.  I am very anal about my dishwater.  Everything is thoroughly rinsed before going in.  I don't understand people who wash their dishes in garbage. In that I have a single sink I wash the dishes in a big pot to the side and rinse them in the sink.  Usually after one use my dishwater is still reasonably clean so I save it for the next load.  That's right, I actually save dishwater.  I'll reheat it on the stove and use it at least one more time tonight on the dinner dishes.  Does anyone else reuse dishwater? Probably not.  Also, if it's going to cost an arm and a leg to repair the dishwasher I'll probably just do without.  Washing dishes by hand is easy and I do a better job than the dishwasher anyway.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #32 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 5:30pm

I just dumped a smelly old couch because it smelled like a combination of wet dog and vomit. I got the couch for free and it was great for years, but when my son threw up on it, the odor never went away (and no, he didn’t throw up a wet dog).  Before I put the couch in a landfill, I had to remove all of the non-smelly leather for future slings. My next 200 slings will probably be made from the same brown leather Grin

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #33 - Jun 12th, 2019 at 7:20pm

Good use of an old couch, NOC.
On a happy note the dishwasher is fine. A breaker on an outside plug tripped. Though this should have had nothing to do with the dishwasher, it shut it down. 

Edit: The dishwasher died several months ago.  I won't pay to have it fixed.
« Last Edit: Feb 14th, 2020 at 8:22pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #34 - Feb 13th, 2020 at 12:09pm

I see this often.  Yesterday I was in my favorite cheap supermarket, Save-a-Lot.  There were nice looking boneless pork tenderloin cutlets at $2.99 per pound.  Not a terrible price but right next to that were boneless pork lion roasts at $1.69  per pound. It's the exact same meat.  So why in God's name would you buy the already cut meat as opposed to buying the roast and slicing it yourself at home?  Yet the packages of the cutlets outsell the roasts.  Don't people own knives? 
    I've noticed the same thing with beef.   You can buy steaks or buy a roast and cut it into steaks yourself for significant savings.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #35 - Feb 13th, 2020 at 5:46pm

I get you rat man but lots of people don’t even know what part of the animal theyre buying. Us that do know how to save.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #36 - Feb 14th, 2020 at 8:08pm

Why do people spend money on Tupperware and Tupperware-like products? Here is my Ghetto Tupperware collection. It works just as well as Tupperware and is absolutely free.

GT2.jpg (103 KB | 58 )
GT2.jpg

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #37 - Feb 15th, 2020 at 2:57am

My parents would keep ice cream boxes until they literally cracked into pieces because the plastic would finally give up Cheesy Most of my school lunches were taken to school in ice cream boxes Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #38 - Feb 20th, 2020 at 12:18pm

Kick wrote on Feb 15th, 2020 at 2:57am:
My parents would keep ice cream boxes until they literally cracked into pieces because the plastic would finally give up Cheesy Most of my school lunches were taken to school in ice cream boxes Cheesy

In grammar school we were required to provide covers for all of our books.  Rather than buy them Mom would make them from brown paper shopping bags.  She actually did a very neat, professional looking job.  I don't think I ever had a commercially made book cover until high school. Even then some of our book covers were still Mom's paper bag covers. 

Edit:  I'd just like to add that back then there were no plastic bags.  You brought your groceries home in thick brown paper shopping bags and cardboard boxes.
« Last Edit: Feb 21st, 2020 at 12:17pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #39 - Mar 5th, 2020 at 3:20pm

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Mar 6th, 2019 at 10:09am:
There’s a big difference between cheap and frugal. I don’t believe in being wasteful, and that’s why as I get older I find myself preferring quality over low prices if I can’t have both. I’d rather buy something nice once than keep buying the cheap one that’s going to break.

Very often buying quality is the frugal way to go.  Buying cheap laundry detergent or dish soap is really no bargain because it's watered down.  I always buy the best tires money can buy.  They last much longer and your life depends on them.  I also buy the best car batteries possible for obvious reasons.  Buying cheap isn't always being frugal.  You have to buy smart.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #40 - Mar 5th, 2020 at 3:23pm

Having a freezer will save you money.  I've had one forever.  You buy in bulk when food is priced very low.  When chicken is marked down to seventy nine cents a pound buy thirty pounds.  When pork roasts are ninety nine cents a pound buy three or four.  You get the idea.  If you use your head a freezer will pay for itself in two years.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #41 - Jun 9th, 2020 at 4:30pm

Products like Windex and Glass Plus are a big rip off.  Their active ingredient is ammonia.  Windex is five to ten percent ammonia. The cheaper glass cleaners have even less.  Twelve ounces of Windex costs $3.29 on Amazon.  Ninety percent of it or more is water, perfume, and pretty blue dye.  Yet a half gallon of pure ammonia costs just a dollar at the cheap stores I shop at.  You're paying a little over seven bucks for a half gallon of Windex.  YOU ARE PAYING SEVENTY TIMES AS MUCH FOR THE ACTIVE INGREDIENT!!!! So buy cheap ammonia at the dollar store.  I usually use it straight but if that worries you cut it as much as you want.  It is caustic and very poisonous but there are no small children here.  I put mine in a spray bottle that is clearly marked with a big skull and cross bones and the word POISON in four inch letters. 
    Of course if you like paying fourteen bucks a gallon for water, perfume, and pretty blue dye keep buying Windex. 
This math was done of the top of my head.  It's generally correct but not exact.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #42 - Jun 9th, 2020 at 5:08pm

Medicines are the same. I’ve never understood why someone would pay twice as much for the exact same active ingredient.

« Last Edit: Jun 10th, 2020 at 8:35pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #43 - Jun 10th, 2020 at 8:35pm

Morphy wrote on Jun 9th, 2020 at 5:08pm:
Medicines are the same. I’ve never understood why someone would pay twice as much for the exact same active ingredient.

Agreed. I always buy generic over the counter meds.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #44 - Sep 12th, 2020 at 4:34pm

Archie Bunker was Shoe-Bootie when he was a child.  His family couldn't afford shoes for him so he had to wear one used shoe and one used boot to school. I am Glue-Bootie.  Rather than throw my shoes away when the soles start to become separated from the main part I Gorilla Glue them together.  I can get an extra year out of them that way.  Gorilla Glue rocks!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini)