Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Something You Did That You Regret (Read 2404 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Something You Did That You Regret
Feb 14th, 2019 at 1:17am

What do you regret doing?
   When I was nineteen I joined the army.  At the time I had a German Shepherd.  Schnitzel.  She was brilliant and I cared a great deal for her but I gave her away so I could enlist.  To this day it haunts me.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Re: Something You Did That You Regret
Reply #1 - Feb 14th, 2019 at 6:38am

Oh, God where to begin?
Not making Eagle Scout
Not trying harder at school
Not going to college

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #2 - Feb 14th, 2019 at 7:24am

Tabacco , horrible stuff. What a waste of money and health.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #3 - Feb 14th, 2019 at 10:06am

Trust me, I know how it sounds and if other people do it I roll my eyes but... I don't really have any regrets. Whenever I start thinking too much about things that have happened and can't be changed, I remember the fact that in around 5 billion years time the Sun is going to expand and utterly destroy the Earth. Everything on this planet, and the planet itself, is going to be blasted into deep space as radioactive dust. It'll be like God himself swatting a fly. Hard to regret things when you know that no matter what mistakes you make, they won't be remembered and even if, by some twisted miracle, one of your mistakes is still remembered 5 billion years from now, everyone's going to be a bit too busy to think about it.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #4 - Feb 15th, 2019 at 12:27pm

Mersa wrote on Feb 14th, 2019 at 7:24am:
Tabacco , horrible stuff. What a waste of money and health.

Agreed. I smoked (and chewed toward the end) for about twenty years.  I quit about twenty eight years ago.  It's the best thing I ever did for myself.  I don't know how people can afford to smoke these days. It was expensive enough when I was smoking. It's astronomical now. The strangest thing is that most poor people smoke.  They can't afford decent food or a place to live but they have their tobacco.

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Feb 17th, 2019 at 12:26pm

I'm blessed to be mainly in Kick's camp. Even choices that didn't turn out as well as I'd like were fair choices at the time. Who I was then made a fair decision. I can't go back and judge myself when I made the best decision I could.

I do have a couple regrets though.

I wish I had learned discipline in highschool. I wish that I had put in the hours and work instead of just putting in what I had to.

I wish I had learned that you have to budget down time and recreation time. 1 hour of fun and 2 hours work is better than 3 hours of "work" that's halfheartedly done. I wasted so many hours doing things I didn't even enjoy instead of obeying the old "work while you work, play while you play"

But then that's just the old "Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test and then the lesson"

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #6 - Feb 22nd, 2019 at 1:10am

I might regret admitting to the things I regret Grin
Ok here’s one... I spent around $10,000 on a batch of custom backpack diaper bags that I couldn’t sell for a variety of reasons. It was an expensive education, but I’ll never need to buy myself a backpack ever again!

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Eudave

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Jul 1st, 2019 at 4:10pm

I agree with "kick".My existence does not change the rising of the sun.One day I will die .When/ I don't know  I can't change it so why worry about it . I do believe in a Universal force but don't know what it is  nor do i really care
death is for all. And then begins the real Journey .

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #8 - Jul 1st, 2019 at 4:27pm

I don't know if this qualifies as a regret but I often wonder what my life would have been if I has done my whole enlistment in Korea instead of coming back Stateside.  I could have stayed in Korea if I chose to but instead, being a stupid young arse, I was homesick for the states. I got sent to a hell hole called Ft. Campbell, Ky., that I despise to this day. 
     Had I not made that decision I probably would have made a career out of the military.  I had powerful connections in Korea and I could have gotten a position as a representative for an export   business after the army. I would have married a Korean girl and had a bunch of Eurasian papooses, made a lot of money, and been a rich fat old man right now instead of a poor one. 
     Or maybe I would have gotten run over by a Kimchee Cab and died back in the 70s. But one does wonder.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #9 - Jul 1st, 2019 at 7:03pm

I regret killing animals back in the day that I didnt eat or had no real need to kill. At the time I was young and dumb and thought hunting was "cool". Which it is, when done with respect for the animal. I didn't kill many before I learned that lesson but I still regret it till this day.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #10 - Jul 2nd, 2019 at 12:47pm

Morphy wrote on Jul 1st, 2019 at 7:03pm:
I regret killing animals back in the day that I didnt eat or had no real need to kill. At the time I was young and dumb and thought hunting was "cool". Which it is, when done with respect for the animal. I didn't kill many before I learned that lesson but I still regret it till this day.

Yes, this is one of mine also. I can remember a few episodes from my youth that sicken me now.  Also I would have been kinder to many of the people I have known. In my younger years I could be an arsehole.  I guess I still can be one but hopefully not quite as much.

IP Logged

Slingky
Tiro

Everett, WA
Reply #11 - Aug 8th, 2019 at 7:23pm

Woah, regrets. I got a lot. Here's one for now:
I regret not listening to my wife when she told me that I should stop spitting (pulicly, that is). Sometime after she told me to stop spitting, I got a little chest cold and had to pick up my sons from school. On my way to pick up the boys, I rolled down the window of the car and spit a really quick one out the window that no one but me could possibly see. When I got to the school gym to wait for the boys to get out of school one of the other parents looked at my chin with a little wrinkle in his brow and kindly said, "Hey, what's that in your beard?" I put my hand up to my chin only to discover to my complete horror that I hadn't launched my earlier loogey all the way out of the window... and apparently not even completely beyond the end of my own face  Shocked Moral of the story? When the Hunny gives good advice, I should listen up so that I don't get in a pickle that not even a sling can launch me out of.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #12 - Aug 9th, 2019 at 5:57am

I would say I regret going to school but I can't since it was mandatory... What a waste of time !

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #13 - Aug 9th, 2019 at 2:17pm

Sarosh wrote on Aug 9th, 2019 at 5:57am:
I would say I regret going to school but I can't since it was mandatory... What a waste of time !

For me high school was a total waste of time.  My school system was very poorly run and really nothing more than a baby sitting service.  From ninth grade on we did nothing but busy work, repeating the same inane garbage over and over.  I stopped going my senior year.  College was another matter entirely.  Once there, after the army, I was finally enlightened and educated.  I liked college a lot, though it was very tough..

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #14 - Aug 11th, 2019 at 11:20pm

@RM,  I have mixed feelings about college. On the one hand, I learned a lot that I probably wouldn’t have learned on my own. On the other hand, I was in no way prepared for my first job either. This is also true for most of my coworkers who are more educated than me. In that respect, college was the best bad education money can buy at the time, but nowadays you can learn a lot of the same stuff at a fraction of the cost on platforms like Skillshare and Udemy and Teachable.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini)