Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Slinging some big pieces of ice (Read 2196 times)
joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Slinging some big pieces of ice
Feb 5th, 2019 at 2:24pm

A short while ago I posted a photo of a new sling I made.  I made it to throw some great big ice cubes I had in the freezer.  This past weekend I was able to try it out, and here are some videos from that slinging session.

A couple points on this session.  Using a sling this long with a heavy projectile was way more difficult that I thought it would be.  I also only had 5 or 6 pieces of ice, so I was trying to get things figured out pretty quickly.  But by the end I still hadn't quite gotten the rhythm down.  Which can really be seen in the last video.  When I watched that, I just started laughing.

Part 1: https://youtu.be/ibdtUz_IjDs
Part 2: https://youtu.be/f27c5_9lVug
Part 3: https://youtu.be/tX-FORU1lk0

IP Logged

timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Re: Slinging some big pieces of ice
Reply #1 - Feb 5th, 2019 at 7:26pm

WOW, Huge ice cubes!
The last video was the best.

I made ice balls for Christmas balls:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBnH_ZuF2qQ

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #2 - Feb 5th, 2019 at 9:13pm

That's awesome Cheesy

I have to try a pirouette throw one of these days.  I've never even attempted it before.  It just never comes to mind when I'm out slinging.

IP Logged

Willem208

Slinging Rocks!

South Africa
Reply #3 - Feb 6th, 2019 at 12:15pm

Didn't that hurt your arm? That last vidro sure is funny! Grin

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #4 - Feb 6th, 2019 at 2:13pm

No problems with the arm.  Although I was concerned about that.  I went out and was slinging normal sized ammo for 10 or 15 minutes before the big ones.  So my arm and shoulder had a pretty good warm up.  And with the big ice blocks, I tried to let gravity and momentum do most of the work.  It's definitely something I'll try again at some point.

And a follow up story on the last video.  As soon as I released it I knew it was a bad throw.  While the block was in the air I thought, "I'll just go get it and throw it again".  But even though the ground was a little spongy, it broke into 3 or 4 pieces Sad

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Feb 7th, 2019 at 4:54pm

I got a pair of 2.5 inch ice sphere molds for Christmas. I've made several spheres but haven't slung any of them yet. It's still on my to do list.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #6 - Feb 8th, 2019 at 6:20pm

Great stuff!  I've recently started using those myself.  I have one mold that's just a single.  And another that makes 6 at a time.  They have quickly become my favorite sling ammunition. Smiley

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #7 - Feb 9th, 2019 at 8:41am

I'm going to take the credit for getting more people using round ice moulds Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #8 - Feb 9th, 2019 at 10:04am

I definitely give it to you.  Such a great idea!  I'm now one of your minions out there trying to convert people Grin

IP Logged

Willem208

Slinging Rocks!

South Africa
Reply #9 - Feb 9th, 2019 at 3:44pm

Around here the ice will melt before I can even get to throw it lol Grin

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - Feb 10th, 2019 at 10:57am

A really simple, (and cheap) way to make round ice balls is to just use the round balloons.  Fill them up to the size you want and stick them in the freezer.  Put a slice in the balloon and remove it before you throw it.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #11 - Feb 10th, 2019 at 12:56pm

Long term I would say the moulds are cheaper and it doesn't take long. They're reusable and as far as I can tell will last forever so you don't have to keep buying balloons. Only cost a couple of quid as well.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #12 - Feb 10th, 2019 at 5:33pm

Continuing the topic of making ice balls for projectiles, I made another video this weekend doing some slinging with them.  The ice balls were made with a 2.5 inch mold.

I'm not throwing at a target.  But there's a pretty defined bush area in the center of the foreground brush.  That's pretty much what I'm throwing at.

https://youtu.be/Mzpe9aQewfg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Kick, Chris, vetryan15, Rat Man)