Send Topic Print
The Last Alaskans (Read 1541 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
The Last Alaskans
Jan 30th, 2019 at 7:29pm

A few months ago I started watching The Last Alaskans on Discovery.  This one is set in the  Arctic National Wildlife refuge.  In 1980 the U.S. government banned any new human habitation there.  Currently there are only seven cabin permits left there in an area the size of South Carolina.  When the last of the children of the permit holders die there will be no more humans allowed there.  The government did the same thing in Virginia to make Shenandoah  National Park.  Anyway the show is about the lives of the few remaining people living in the middle of nowhere.  Good show.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Re: The Last Alaskans
Reply #1 - Jan 31st, 2019 at 5:26am

If I had tv and electricity,  I would watch that.  Going g there was one of my dreams.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #2 - Feb 2nd, 2019 at 3:59pm

vetryan15 wrote on Jan 31st, 2019 at 5:26am:
If I had tv and electricity,  I would watch that.  Going g there was one of my dreams.

When I was younger I imagined myself doing something like that. I moved out to northern Idaho for a little while after I finished my army enlistment.   It's VERY rugged up in the panhandle.  I was going to live in the mountains near  a little town called St.Marys which they pronounced St. Maries for some reason. I discovered that though I love wilderness I also like indoor toilets, electricity, and a hot shower. A few weeks of wilderness at a time is great but I appreciate modern conveniences too. I ended up moving back to New Jersey.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #3 - Feb 2nd, 2019 at 5:03pm

Rat Man wrote on Feb 2nd, 2019 at 3:59pm:
vetryan15 wrote on Jan 31st, 2019 at 5:26am:

When I was younger I imagined myself doing something like that. I moved out to northern Idaho for a little while after I finished my army enlistment.   It's VERY rugged up in the panhandle.  I was going to live in the mountains near  a little town called St.Marys which they pronounced St. Maries for some reason. I discovered that though I love wilderness I also like indoor toilets, electricity, and a hot shower. A few weeks of wilderness at a time is great but I appreciate modern conveniences too. I ended up moving back to New Jersey.

I just hated nj so much. I have always dreamed of getting out of there. I would rather do what I am doing now then be in nj, if I keep Javier g issues with some of my neighbors. I might just go out that way, out west?

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #4 - Feb 4th, 2019 at 11:55pm

Sorry you're having issues. If you do head out West check out Idaho's panhandle. It's some of the most rugged, beautiful country I've ever seen.
    New Jersey is New Jersey. It has it's good and bad points. I guess I'm still here because it's familiar and comfortable. Be it ever so humble....

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #5 - Feb 5th, 2019 at 6:09am

Given how "real" reality shows are (Man vs Wild and the Turtle man, etc.) it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of it was staged. Sorry if I sound cynical.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #6 - Feb 9th, 2019 at 1:25pm

Many are completely staged.  Dual Survival is a good example of that. This one seems pretty down to earth.  It's just about what these people do to survive up there... there's not much drama.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Chris, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark)