Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Sling VS. Staff Sling (Read 12340 times)
Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Sling VS. Staff Sling
Reply #15 - Mar 28th, 2019 at 7:28pm

Ich sah sie im Zeughaus in Wien. Quasi direkt schräg von Sissy. 😁
Ich kann dir aber nicht sagen ob du sie dort noch findest. Die Ausstellungen wechseln häufig. Aber nachfragen kannst du dort bestimmt.
Ich fand es sehr interessant.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #16 - Jun 14th, 2020 at 4:49am

I think a reason why the throw is not further with a traditional staff sling is because it doesn't rifle the projectile as much like a standard sling, just like the Y sling also doesn't.

I throw further with a shorter standard sling compared to using a bit longer Y-sling because the standard sling wants to spin them point first, while the Y-sling just lobs them cleanly from the pouch without real spin because there is almost no friction on release. First I thought friction was bad but later I saw it was essential for the standard sling.

I think the Y-sling would be ideal for the staff sling and I am gonna have some fun experimenting with this, but also with a regular staff sling. I haven't used staff slings much.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #17 - Jun 14th, 2020 at 8:36am

I've found with the staff sling, coming forward entirely vertically isn't great for accuracy, but it can give a lot of backspin as the ammo rolls out. I haven't really paid much attention to what this does for distance but worth mentioning. Coming more diagonally is better for accuracy, which is what I've found, for the most part, with hand slings as well.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #18 - Jun 14th, 2020 at 1:43pm

AncientCraftwork wrote on Jun 14th, 2020 at 4:49am:
I think the Y-sling would be ideal for the staff sling and I am gonna have some fun experimenting with this, but also with a regular staff sling. I haven't used staff slings much

That's a fantastic idea, I've got to try that. You should make a video on one.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #19 - Jun 15th, 2020 at 2:48pm

Just came back from a small session slinging with the staff sling.
Well it wasn't really a staff just an 80cm stick and a Y-sling of about 50 cm.
Threw bout 25 rocks weighting between 200 grams and a kilo with most being over 500g.
Max range I got was about 60 meters with the short staff sling.

Here's some of my observations:
- the Y sling works like a charm on the staff, it releases the rock perfectly in line with the staff.  although a regular sling will do just as good I think, because heavy rocks will force the regular sling to release just as well.
- The staff sling is very fun, you don't need to care about ammo weight and size up to a kg, any big old rock will work, its weight will defeat the air. You just lob the damn thing
- Less strain on my arm and body throwing 500g with the staff sling compared to the 250 grams with a regular sling, much less.

I think the staff-sling belongs in every slinger's arsenal
It definitely doesn't replace the regular sling but it adds to it
It allows you to throw an even greater range of weights and make use of ammo other wise not usable. 

I believe the regular sling is better regarding precision, penetration, biconical ammo and distance, , but keep the staff sling for anything above 250g. Your body will thank you.

Now time to try bigger staffs and experiment different lengths. It's very fun throwing such huge rocks past 50 meters without the strain on the body. Can definitely see how this is an effective weapon.  If I had an ancient army I would want staff slingers and regular slingers.
The staff slingers could be recruited more quickly and no armor is going to protect you from a 600g rock falling from the sky. Or If I was a shepherd, I would want a dedicated sling for my staff as well.  Cool

I like it mostly because I have access to a large amount of rocks too big for my regular sling, but which are no problem for the staff sling.  Smiley

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #20 - Jun 15th, 2020 at 4:15pm

Exactly! Staff slings are really fun. Were you just going for distance? Next time take something out with you that you really don't like or that you don't mind taking home again in pieces Cheesy Smashing stuff with a staff sling is very cathartic Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #21 - Jun 16th, 2020 at 8:04am

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #22 - Jun 16th, 2020 at 11:37am

--
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2020 at 5:39am by AncientCraftwork »  

IP Logged

sblakely
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Springfield Oregon
Reply #23 - Jun 20th, 2020 at 12:59am

I have made and practiced with both and i can tell you I like both for different reasons. I find that the staff sling maybe more dangerous to your target armored or other wise just from the pure concussive force of the larger, generally fist sized projectiles. not to mention with the staff sling you can put a pointy bit at the end and actually have two weapons. However the one drawback i have noticed personally is it can be a little trickier to reload.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #24 - Jun 20th, 2020 at 3:20pm

sblakely wrote on Jun 20th, 2020 at 12:59am:
not to mention with the staff sling you can put a pointy bit at the end and actually have two weapons. 

By adding a point to the staff you actually have three weapons in one.  The staff without any refinement is a great close quarter weapon.  Most of my staff slings have been made from bamboo, which is great for whacking enemies with.

IP Logged

sblakely
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Springfield Oregon
Reply #25 - Jun 20th, 2020 at 11:46pm

You Know what you're right that aspect i had spaced! Cheesy

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #26 - Jun 21st, 2020 at 12:46pm

--
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2020 at 5:38am by AncientCraftwork »  

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #27 - Jun 21st, 2020 at 12:49pm

--
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2020 at 5:38am by AncientCraftwork »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, vetryan15, Morphy, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Kick, joe_meadmaker)