Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Toot Your Own Horn (Read 7027 times)
Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Re: Toot Your Own Horn
Reply #15 - Feb 3rd, 2019 at 4:38am

It was a good idea. I know for myself that it's actually kind of hard to talk about achievements because I don't want to be thought of as a big head or showing off. Setting it up that it's fine to show off is a good way of going about it Cheesy

I'll add one more. I'm a (very out of practice) black belt in the Korean martial art Choi Kwang Do. It was a really good thing to do and it really helped my confidence. I'm not Jackie Chan and it's very likely I'd get beaten to a pulp in a fight but knowing just a little bit helps you to walk a bit taller and not be seen as a potential victim. I still have a fair bit of muscle memory as well which I sometimes wonder could be a problem. A few times someone has waved their arm close to me and I've had to stop myself blocking it and immediately following it up with a strike Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #16 - Feb 4th, 2019 at 11:49pm

Learning a martial art is like money in the bank. It's there when you need it.

IP Logged

BatoBato
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Utah
Reply #17 - Feb 15th, 2019 at 6:58pm

Guess I'll have a go, I'm new but it is a good way to get to know folks. It is a good thread. I don't think I can compete with what I've read from others so far, but I'll be glad to associate with so much talent. Any way completing a career in the Army is a recent one I'm proud of. I started out as a welder/machinist and later changed jobs to military police. The last few years recruiting (not so proud of that) it's a miserable job! Multiple combat tours, injuries but still in one piece. Completed a criminal justic degree (and made the army pay for it! Haha) spent three years driving in Italy as law enforcement without a single accident, I know that sounds dumb but if you have ever driven in Italy then that's something to brag about.

I make and sell various wallets, some of my own design as a side business now in leather and Kydex. Fully retired I work for no one now. Trying to use my machining background to explore slinging and bring some ideas without over engineering it. Lol. Used to be bilingual but my Tagolog sucks now. Anyway lots of years training in law enforcement/ weapons training and violence all around lol. Now I throw rocks to relax Smiley

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #18 - Feb 16th, 2019 at 2:43am

That sounds like a lot to be proud of to me Cheesy

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #19 - Apr 14th, 2019 at 6:12pm

Here's something a little off the wall.  June 18, 1972;  While I'm at work at the Trio Restaurant the owner's son came up to me with two Led Zeppelin tickets for that evening. He wanted to sell me one.  They were $5.50 back the, believe it or not.  The problem was that this was also the night of my high school graduation. I actually skipped my graduation to see Led Zeppelin.  Yes, c_a, I know you hate them.  I have seen many if not most of the great Classic Rock bands... The Stones, The Dead, Yes, Sly and the Family Stone, Pink Floyd, Santana, etc... too many to mention.  Led Zep was in a class by themselves.  Absolutely the best concert I ever saw.  This was just as they were releasing their fourth album with Stairway to Heaven on it.  They were very much in their prime.  My parents hated that I skipped graduation to see a Rock concert  but I am very glad I had my priorities right and saw an incredible concert instead.  Many of my friends from back then are still jealous today.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #20 - Apr 15th, 2019 at 3:50am

That does sound pretty awesome and pretty rock and roll Cheesy

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #21 - Apr 15th, 2019 at 1:37pm

Kick wrote on Apr 15th, 2019 at 3:50am:
That does sound pretty awesome and pretty rock and roll Cheesy

We got a whole lotta love that night.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #22 - May 11th, 2019 at 6:55pm

Me and 5 friends just completed a 5 day 4 night 140km backpack trek . The Cape to cape track in Western Australia , I was lucky enough to have the lightest kit but even so carting 18kg of food water and camping supplies around steep rocky terrain isn't a easy feat . I'm glad we did it and 1 day faster than expected .

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #23 - May 11th, 2019 at 8:20pm

Awesome, Mersa.  I love stuff like that.  The dogs keep me in walking shape but at my age that pace might be a bit much for me.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #24 - May 12th, 2019 at 12:28am

@
Mersa

Longish treks help build character and are fondly recalled later (over the hill) in life Wink

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #25 - May 12th, 2019 at 5:08am

@
Mersa
6 people are a lot! nice thing you held together.
go for a 10 day or more, it creates very fond memories and you get more clear emotions about the situation, you engage more, you think more of the now than what you'll do when you go back and when you come back you feel like people around you are sooo numb.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #26 - May 26th, 2019 at 8:12pm

I'm a bit late posting this in a way, but I think it's because it's taking a while to fully sink in.

I finally graduated. I'm a fully registered nurse.

I picked up my graduation certificate earlier this week (the official ceremony is coming up in a few days) but yeah it's still a bit unreal. I'm still expecting to get an email from my teacher telling me I still have one more essay to complete or they forgot to mention some extra practical training I need to do, but yeah... I'm done. 4 years of hard work, stress, some of the best experiences of my life and some of the absolute worst and even a few panic attacks. Done. I think I can feel pretty proud about this one.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #27 - May 26th, 2019 at 11:28pm

@Kick - Congrats!  Great stuff man  Smiley

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #28 - May 27th, 2019 at 4:03am

Thanks! It was a long road but finally that part is done.

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #29 - May 27th, 2019 at 4:13pm

...what I'm most proud of is being part of this forum.
What I'm most ashamed of is that I'm not posting here as much as I used to do back in the days: job, family etc all this keeps me away.

But you all are still in my hearth and I have lots of news to share so... see you in the next days... I wish you all the joy and peace you deserve  Cheesy

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus)