Send Topic Print
Toot Your Own Horn (Read 7038 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Toot Your Own Horn
Jan 18th, 2019 at 7:22pm

As the title suggests this is an opportunity for you to brag.  Also we can get to know each other a little better hopefully.
    List the accomplishments that you're the most proud of.  Don't be modest. What have you done that's special?

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Re: Toot Your Own Horn
Reply #1 - Jan 19th, 2019 at 6:42am

Last year I had a placement on a ward that dealt with mostly elderly patients and was a "holding" ward after people had come from emergency care before they went home or onto a different ward etc. I hadn't had the opprtunity to put in many i.v. cannulas before but on that ward I finaly got the chance to practice and got fairly good at it. I've had a bit of a phobia with needles and that placement cleared it right up. On my very last day there, there was another student that hadn't been studying as long as me and I was tasked with assisting her as she tried to put in a cannula. She did very well, her technique was fine, but she didn't manage to get it in the right place on the first or second attempt. I said (as at this point it starts to be more important that the patient doesn't get pricked 100 times than the student getss to practice) that I could have a go and see if I can get it in.

First time. Boom. No problems.

Felt on top of the world. Good way to end a placement.

I started another placement 2 weeks ago and on the second day there they needed a cannula placed in a patient.

Again, first time. Could not have made a better first impression. I walked into the break room and just at that moment all the other nurses were talking about me saying how great it was that the student can place cannulas so well.

I think I gained about foot in height.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #2 - Jan 19th, 2019 at 8:32am

Probably the most interesting thing is I'm a blackbelt in judo and been training for about 10 years (hence my forum name). I've competed maybe 20-30 times with around 2-5 fights per competition. I used to train 4-5x a week, though not getting that much done these days...

Another interesting thing is that I am currently studying a PhD in robotics and already have a masters in robotics and a degree in theoretical physics.

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #3 - Jan 20th, 2019 at 1:58pm

I’m proud of being kind.
I am multilingual, smart, and have a number of worthy talents but I’ve always felt like being kind is a big deal

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #4 - Jan 21st, 2019 at 12:55am

Tomas wrote on Jan 20th, 2019 at 1:58pm:
I’m proud of being kind.
I am multilingual, smart, and have a number of worthy talents but I’ve always felt like being kind is a big deal

If I could live my life over again the main thing I'd change is that I'd be more kind.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #5 - Jan 21st, 2019 at 1:14am

Here we go. I've been around a while so I've done some stuff.  I'm an army vet. I served from 1975 through 1981 in the 142 MP Co.  in Seoul and in the 101st Airborne.
   I've had quite a bit of martial arts training.  My first instructor was John Korab who was Joe Lewis's first instructor and buddies with Bruce Lee.  Most of my training was in Tae Kwon Do and Street Fighting Techniques but I've also had some training in Kung Fu, Hapkido, Judo, Boxing, and Wrestling.
    I worked full time while going through college and finished my degree while my Lyme Disease was raging... no small feat.
    I quit smoking twenty eight years ago. I quit drinking some time shortly after that.  Not quite two years ago I ended a twenty three year legal addiction to Oxycontin.  I did so all on my own, with no medication or support.  I read that it was impossible to do so and took that as a challenge. 
    I survived cancer twice which is really more dumb luck than an accomplishment but I'm still pretty happy about that.
    I have rescued nine dogs and thirteen cats.
    I guess that's all of the major stuff.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - Jan 21st, 2019 at 6:44am

lol - it's weird that normally I'd trot out the slinging stuff: first brit to ever win a balearic slinging trophy, only person to build and run slinging events in 3 countries. First 3d printed sling pouches, etc
Administrator on the worlds only intermational slinging forum.

But you guys already know that Smiley

I do have other interests.
I'm a moderator on 3dprintboard.com
I used to do a fair bit of wood turning, mainly because I never had the patience for proper wood working.
3d printing is a great alternative, I can go from thinking of an object to designing and printing and holding it in my hand in a matter hours.

So on that side, I'd say I'm proud of how good I've got at designing things.
I'm not traditionally artistic, can't draw and have concluded that my brain works exclusively in 3d - the bit that translates what you see in your head to what you draw in 2d on paper, is missing - I just don't have it.
I have no formal training, can't use autocad or similiar programs that require you to draw things.
But with the discovery of Openscad. I found a design program that works the same way my brain does.
I can simply tell it what i want and it does it.

I've yet to find something I can't design, and once you start designing your own things from scratch, you start to realise that it's designers that - literally - shape the world we live in.
You also begin to appreciate why cars are so bloody expensive Smiley

I'm also an accomplished charcuterer.
Been making my own sausages for close to 20 years I reckon.
Also jerky, biltong, salami etc.

For christmas this year I cured and smoked my own salmon. Cured my own ham and made my own sausage meat that was used in the turkey stuffing and the little sausages for pigs in blankets.
I'm proud of that Smiley

I'm an expert in most kinds of information technology, built my very first computer over 30 years ago and shortly after started building them for other people.

I was not a nice kid, but I am proud of the man I've turned into.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Jan 21st, 2019 at 2:28pm

I finally finished my PhD in criminal justice. Took me 8 years but I finished. Thank God.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #8 - Jan 21st, 2019 at 3:25pm

perpetualstudent wrote on Jan 21st, 2019 at 2:28pm:
I finally finished my PhD in criminal justice. Took me 8 years but I finished. Thank God.

Now I'm understanding the name choice Cheesy I'm so close to finishing I can almost taste it and I CANNOT WAIT to be done.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #9 - Jan 21st, 2019 at 4:14pm

'criminal justice'

Now there's a phrase with multiple meanings whistle

And congratulations Thumbs Up

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - Jan 22nd, 2019 at 9:40am

I've been impressed with the amount (and variety) of crazy I've encountered in the field. And that's all I'll say about it.

It's funny the main thing I felt when I passed was just relief. Not pride. Not accomplishment. Just a weight off of me.

I'd say I'm most proud of being a teacher. Of finding the words to get someone to understand something. I love watching the lightbulb go off. Doesn't matter if it's how to tie a knot, how to use a firearm, how to build a shelter, start a fire, a mathematical concept, or a new way to think. I love passing the flame.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #11 - Jan 24th, 2019 at 2:18pm

perpetualstudent wrote on Jan 21st, 2019 at 2:28pm:

Congratulations.  That is a huge accomplishment.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #12 - Jan 26th, 2019 at 4:23pm

Along with making mead, I'm also a brewer.  Admittedly not a great brewer, but a good one in my own humble opinion.

The last beer I brewed was an ESB.  I ran it in a homebrew competition this past November.  Part of the competition was a "people choice" award, so all the brewers were there pouring samples of their beer.  As usual, I didn't win anything.  But on four separate occasions I had a person come up to me and say "I was told I need to come and try your beer".  And though my ESB didn't place, it was awesome to see people's enjoyment of a beer style that many aren't familiar with.

And today I just finished clearing snow off the driveway.  And am now enjoying a glass of said ESB on a pretty lovely winter day, and thinking of the fun at that competition Smiley

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #13 - Jan 31st, 2019 at 10:51pm

Wow... We have an impressive bunch!

So let’s see. I guess I’ll go: I got my degree in Engineering Physics, and I still work for the same company I started my career with 15 years ago.

I married my highschool sweetheart after dating through college.  We had one kid after 13 years of marriage, adopted a second boy a year ago, and now kid #3 is due to be born in April.

I have two patents, and maybe another one on the way if it makes it through the application process.

My wife and I started a side business with $1000, and our sales hit $100,000 in the first year.

Once, I manage to break my arm in a pillow fight.

I was once mis-identified as a machine-gun wielding Cuban terrorist commando by a very scared janitor in Albuquerque NM. Fortunately the police weren’t quite as quick to jump to conclusions Smiley

I am pretty sure I’m the only person in the world who has built not one, but two: life-sized wooden mockups of a nuclear reactor’s primary containment vessel (or at least a horizontal slice of it... the real thing is more than 3 stories tall).

A few months ago, a couple of friends and I walked into a meeting to ask for $25,000 to build a prototype for an idea (related to that possible 3rd patent), and after a 10-minute conversation, we walked out with $9,000 more than we asked for.

That’s all nice, and it’s 100% true, but the more important truth is that I have way more problems than talents, and I don’t deserve more than maybe partial credit for any of the accomplishments I call my own.  In the end, the one thing in my life worth bragging about is that I trust in Jesus Christ as my savior.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #14 - Feb 2nd, 2019 at 3:48pm

I find all of this very interesting.  I'm glad I started this thread.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man)