Send Topic Print
My quest for accuracy (Read 1743 times)
Vance
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Texas
My quest for accuracy
Jan 16th, 2019 at 12:50am

Some weeks ago, I asked about getting better ammunition in hopes of improving my accuracy.  Several you came up with good ideas including finding a better firing range in which I could retrieve my ammunition and making my own ammunition "rocks".

I did both.  I made a batch of cement "meatballs" and found a new place where I can get most of them back.  This was a HUGE improvement.  If like me, you don't have access to consistent ammo, make your own out of sack-crete.  It's cheap and easy and will do wonders for your constancy.

It worked SO well that I spent $56 on Amazon and bought 40 3 oz. lead singers.  I will give you all an update with pictures when I have a chance to try them out but at thi point, I'm very confident that constant ammo is the secret sauce of accuracy.

Send my your thoughts please.

Vance

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Re: My quest for accuracy
Reply #1 - Jan 16th, 2019 at 2:01am

Great to hear! Consistent ammo, in my opinion, is number one for accuracy. There's a reason almost all sling stones throughout history have been smooth river pebbles and the collections found have been consistent in sizes and weights with each other. The reason lead glands exist is, for the most part, a need for consistent ammo.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #2 - Jan 16th, 2019 at 2:58am

Just a heads up on lead, it's soft , your ammo won't stay consistent unless your target and backstop can catch the lead without deforming it .
Speaking from experience .
But good work on the improvements.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Vance
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Texas
Reply #3 - Jan 16th, 2019 at 10:50pm

Good point.  I dropped one by accident on the stone floor of my house.  I was amazed at the flat spot created on my glandes from a fall of only three feet or so.  I will be throwing into a grassy/rocky field so I am hoping the ammo destruction isn't too bad.

If it is, I suppose I could get steel balls, but that starts getting expensive quickly.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #4 - Jan 17th, 2019 at 2:31am

Again speaking from experience , steel ricochets very well .

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #5 - Jan 17th, 2019 at 3:36am

Recently I was cultivating the idea about buying sinker mold for use and reuse of lead. what put me off was that lead will deform and I 'll need to process it everytime before going to sling. and doing that everytime made me think of the health hazards so I rejected the idea.

then I searched for high density lead free materials . found out this: http://www.ecomass.com/frangible-projectiles/
they have tungsten powder filled plastics with density of lead. I still wonder what's the price.
what i dont like is that they say "frangible" I think slingers would prefer them non frangible for reuse. maybe they have such a compound.

This could be the future ammo , implanted gps chip with adjusted density, for Olympic slinging.  Wink

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #6 - Jan 17th, 2019 at 7:59am

I recently received a load of tungsten carbide . Very dense and very hard , packs a punch , but in general I think that the only real use for hard hitting dense ammo is trying to achieve max distance throws and hunting, target slinging is best with rocks and clay , cheap easy , not a issue with the environment and the least of your worries if you break or lose a few .

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #7 - Jan 17th, 2019 at 1:48pm

Yeah I don't think you need to go for the ultra dense metals just for accuracy, you will probably lose them very quickly due to burying into the earth and being so small.

The dense metals imo are all about range.
Lead is barely affected by air resistance at typical slinging speeds and attains near idealised projectile trajectory, which is a damn sight better than even the best stones.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #8 - Jan 18th, 2019 at 7:40pm

Consistent ammo is very important for accuracy.  There is something else you can try.  We've discussed this several times before.  Slinging at 75% to 80% of your full strength won't greatly affect your hitting power but it will increase your accuracy.  If you're slinging at full power your muscles will be tense.  Cut back just a bit on your power and relax your muscles as you sling.

IP Logged

Willem208

Slinging Rocks!

South Africa
Reply #9 - Jan 19th, 2019 at 9:45am

It also helped me considerably when I made some clay clandes. They fly way better, farther and faster than granite rocks. I am also guilty of throwing too hard. Wink

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #10 - Jan 19th, 2019 at 9:48am

the biggest problem with tungsten carbide would be shaping it to an aerodynamic shape.
You'd probably need diamond tipped tools !

Target throwing is quite different to 'combat' throwing.
Most slingers don't throw very hard when slinging at targets. You're just trying to hit it not destroy it.

Thrpwing hard AND accurately on the other hand is much harder.
Interestingly it's what luis pons livermore does.
Throws both hard and accurately.
whereas jaegoor throws pretty soft for accuracy.

Best way is to start throwing soft until you hit things, then gradually ramp the power up in stages.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

SplitSling
Novicius

Indiana
Reply #11 - Jan 20th, 2019 at 9:29am

I would also suggest looking to see if there is anything about your technique that could be improved. I don't know what style of slinging you practice, but in my training I had an ahha! moment after watching Dan sling on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkAdj5wB1MQ

The trick was a certain way I turned my hips in the swing, using more of my lower body than I did previously. It gave me a huge increase in speed, which allowed me to cut back on power, like what Rat Man said, and relax for better accuracy.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Chris, Kick, Morphy, joe_meadmaker)