Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Some sling related stuff I've been doing (Read 2126 times)
Willem208

Slinging Rocks!

South Africa
Some sling related stuff I've been doing
Jan 7th, 2019 at 7:02am

I have been busy lately. I made some clay glandes from clay that I dug up in my backyard. These fly extremely well. Fast, with little to no drop. I also made  a bunch of clay balls, but I still prefer the glandes. How do you guys roll/make them? I also put a little thing on my cupboard to hang my slings so they do not tangle. Now the main thing that I have been doing.... I am busy clearing an old road for a slinging range. I am almost done there. I put some shade cloth  between two trees as a backstop... But when I tested it the rocks went straight through the shade cloth. Huh I now need to make a new plan. The thin piece of steel I used for the target is also too soft, as it bent badly when I hit it. I built this place as I am getting too powerful for the tiny park next too my house. I stopped slinging there after I hit a car lol.  Grin CoolI am loving this new hobby. It is so much fun!

IMG_1304.JPG (5887 KB | 43 )
IMG_1304.JPG

IP Logged

Willem208

Slinging Rocks!

South Africa
Re: Some sling related stuff I've been doing
Reply #1 - Jan 7th, 2019 at 7:10am

Me slinging

IMG_1317__2_.JPG (909 KB | 29 )
IMG_1317__2_.JPG

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #2 - Jan 7th, 2019 at 7:29am

hmm backstop is a serious problem.
a dirt mound would work better but there is too much work to make it.
archery backstop net might work but its too expensive to give it a try.
you could put a lot of nets like the one you use or add rags.
I would like to know if you find a solution.

IP Logged

Willem208

Slinging Rocks!

South Africa
Reply #3 - Jan 7th, 2019 at 8:17am

Ya I will see what I can do. The rock just flew straight through without losing any speed. Cool

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #4 - Jan 7th, 2019 at 8:18am

I think if you were to use floor carpet hung in a few layers so it is not held taught by anything at the base it would work well as a backstop for clay ammo.
If you move into denser materials such as steel lead or tungsten finding a backstop that doesn't cause ricochets or cause damage to ammo and the ammo not being dug out of a hill is very hard , I haven't figured it out

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #5 - Jan 7th, 2019 at 9:43am

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Frondeur

I'm the lead slinger in
a hard rock band

France
Reply #6 - Jan 7th, 2019 at 10:38am

Same problem here!

I can't find a decent backstop! For now I use  a net too, but it's starting to look like some swiss cheese, with so many holes! Still, it stops quite a good percentage of my slingstones, and saves me a lot of time ( plus, since i use painted riverbed pebbles, I can afford to loose some of them )

Willelm, you could try to remove the rocks and log at the base of your net (at least when there's no wind!)
the less tension in the net, the more stones it stops...

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #7 - Jan 7th, 2019 at 4:48pm

I've also been going through ideas for a backstop.  At the present time I just use my archery target when slinging in the yard.  But it's only a 2-3 ft. block of foam.  So I have way more misses than hits.

What I'm planning to try when I have a chance is similar to Mersa's idea.  Rather than a carpet, I was thinking about a think heavy blanket.  Have it mounted from the top, and the bottom left to hang loose.  I think this would stop projectiles well enough, but also allow the blanket some give so it won't be destroyed right away.

I think it will work.  But how long it will hold up would be very dependent on the ammo being used.

IP Logged

Blue Raja
Descens

Rediscovering An Ancient
Skill

Reply #8 - Jan 8th, 2019 at 12:16am

Willem208 - very strong stance - it looks as though you can launch the ammo w/ authority!

I am fortunate, our house backs onto several acres of unused pasture land. Since I sling for distance, I just let the rocks fly.  At some point, I will go foraging and see how many rocks I can retrieve.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #9 - Jan 8th, 2019 at 2:40am

If you live near any large hotels, wait for a convention where people set up booths... they always throw away heavy roll-up signs and banners at the end... or ask a sign printing shop for their misprints on canvas or vinyl.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Willem208

Slinging Rocks!

South Africa
Reply #10 - Jan 8th, 2019 at 7:47am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Jan 7th, 2019 at 9:43am:

I have seen that before. Can I maybe get the #D plans to go print it? My uncle just got a 3D printer and I do not feel like spending more money. Roll Eyes And is there not a faster way to roll the glandes?
And I will definitely think more about the backstop. I will loosen the tension on the net a bit, maybe it will help. I like the old carpet idea, but I am afraid it may rot in the rain. For the target I think I will mount the plate on some scrap plywood that I will varnish. The only reason for the backstop would be to stop my ammo so I can use it again. Maybe some chicken wire for the backstop? I like to throw hard...

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #11 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 12:02am

If you want to reuse ammo, I wouldn’t use chicken wire. Use a canvas or duck cloth or see if you can get the fabric from a broken pop up shade tent. Leave the bottom side loose, and the ammo won’t punch through as easily.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Kick, Rat Man, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Chris)