Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I Almost Spent Christmas In the Hospital (Read 1807 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
I Almost Spent Christmas In the Hospital
Dec 26th, 2018 at 9:17pm

Some of you might remember that a little less than a year and a half ago I had a bowel obstruction that caused me a week of hell in the hospital.  On the 17th of this month I had another one.  They are caused by adhesions from previous operations, most likely my colon cancer operation years ago.  Some people think  it's the same as constipation.  It is nothing like constipation.  It's a whole different animal.
    Anyway, it was the same procedure as the last time.... jam a tube up my nose, down my throat, and into my stomach (as gruesome as it sounds) and pump away for four or five days.  No food or liquid whatsoever during this period.  I was OK with not eating but no liquid is rough.
    Once again there was a happy ending.  The pumping eventually worked so we were able to avoid surgery and I was home on the 23rd in time for Christmas.
    I'm going to have to completely change my diet.  The sort of things that people eat to stay out of the hospital were exactly what put me in the hospital.  I love my greens.  Kale was probably the culprit this time. I'm going to have to cut most of the fiber out of my diet. I'm going to have to completely rethink how I eat but I will do most anything to avoid a third such episode.
    This time it knocked the stuffings out of me much worse than the last time.  My innards should start to feel better in another four or five days.  Between the tube and the obstruction I'm pretty torn up.  But, as I mentioned, we avoided surgery and I should be fine.  Christmas in the hospital would have really sucked. It's good to be home with the dogs.  BTW, my attic dweller Mike and next door neighbor Rob watched the beasts while I was away.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Re: I Almost Spent Christmas In the Hospital
Reply #1 - Dec 27th, 2018 at 3:56am

Ouch! Hope you have a swift recovery and a more comfortable New Year Smiley

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #2 - Dec 27th, 2018 at 5:05am

First time I've ever heard someone not get fiber in the diet

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #3 - Dec 28th, 2018 at 11:13am

slingbadger wrote on Dec 27th, 2018 at 5:05am:
First time I've ever heard someone not get fiber in the diet

I know.  I took the bull by the horns last February and cleaned up my diet completely.  I thought I was eating completely healthy.  Everything is relative I guess.

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #4 - Dec 28th, 2018 at 10:02pm

Sending you my best vibes young man!

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #5 - Jan 3rd, 2019 at 11:22am

That’s rough. There’s probably a roughage pun in here somewhere, but I’m glad you’re ok.
Normally most people would think greasy, fatty foods like french fries would put someone in the hospital... not kale!

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #6 - Jan 3rd, 2019 at 11:45am

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Jan 3rd, 2019 at 11:22am:
That’s rough. There’s probably a roughage pun in here somewhere, but I’m glad you’re ok.
Normally most people would think greasy, fatty foods like french fries would put someone in the hospital... not kale!

I know, right?  The last time cabbage was the main culprit,

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Jan 9th, 2019 at 4:52pm

There's a shirt out there that says "I like my kale with a silent k." I am inclined to that school of thought. But I'd be sad to cut cabbage from my diet.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #8 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 10:33pm

I think I can still eat both in moderation as long as I cook the hell out of them first.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Chris)