Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Captured release sling (Read 4001 times)
Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Captured release sling
Dec 14th, 2018 at 6:18pm

As soon as I heard about the captured release sling, I knew eventually I'd have to have a go at making one. It turns out that day was today. I used two pieces of paracord and some leather so it's as basic as it can be. For now, I'm just using a simple knot to hold for the release but eventually I'll upgrade it. I hope to go test it out tomorrow using the ice balls I've shown on the forum before.
« Last Edit: Dec 15th, 2018 at 5:15am by Kick »  

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Re: Captured release sling
Reply #1 - Dec 15th, 2018 at 2:47am

Nice Y sling
on the captured release: i haven't notice any advantage. It could be that it increases reloading time for normal length slings.

you can also try to put a rubberband for smoothness of capture attached with prussic knots so it can be removed in the field quickly for experimentation.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #2 - Dec 15th, 2018 at 3:38am

I still haven't tested it, but one thing I think might help with this one in particular is that it's really long. I think this is now in the top three of the longest slings I have (113cm in the "released position") and having it as captured release will ensure I don't have a super long release end flying off, dragging on the ground or getting caught in bushes. It should help keep it more controlled. I really like the idea of the design and how they look and as far as I can tell this one will work even if it doesn't work any better than a normal sling Cheesy

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #3 - Dec 15th, 2018 at 5:17am

I've already had a go at improving the release. It's still as basic as you can get but this is far more comfortable to hold than the single knot. I've also found, through experimenting and slight adjustments, that this holds tennis balls no problem. Quite an achievement seeing as I freehanded the pouch design then mirrored it. I really can't wait to test it.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #4 - Dec 15th, 2018 at 10:45am

for that length you are gonna love it more than an equivalent normal sling

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #5 - Dec 15th, 2018 at 10:56am

Ok so I'm just back from testing it using ice balls and...

Useless.

I should clarify though, the sling? Great! Ice ball ammo? Also great! Ice ball ammo thrown using this sling? Falls out immediately. They're just a bit too small and a bit too slippy and spherical. They roll straight out as soon as I bring it round my head (it's super long so I was attempting helicopter). Rocks and tennis balls, it grips with no problem so I'll have to go out and do some proper testing with them.

Luckily, I had brought along one of the Tibetan slings so the ice balls didn't go to waste. Seriously everyone should get an ice ball mould. Really cheap on eBay for consistent, eco-friendly ammo that smashes spectacularly and that just takes a few hours in the freezer. It's fantastic. I'm thinking of buying a 6 ball mould so that I then can make 10 balls at a time. I could have 30 balls in a single day of setting them up. the other great thing with them is that it doesn't need to be super cold outside to use them. They actually stay frozen for a long time even in plus degrees.

IP Logged

Frondeur

I'm the lead slinger in
a hard rock band

France
Reply #6 - Dec 16th, 2018 at 11:47am

Sarosh wrote on Dec 15th, 2018 at 2:47am:
Nice Y sling
on the captured release: i haven't notice any advantage. It could be that it increases reloading time for normal length slings.

Trying to sling on the mountain ways, it prevents de release cord to tangle in the bushes on the side.
To put this an other way: it reduces a bit the space you need to sling. Of course, that makes more sense for a short sling...

I have only one captured sling, an it's a long one. I'm planning to make a mini one, just to sling in the woods, where it's sometimes hard to adjust your style, having a tree on this side, abush here, and that poopy of a branch over there, all tha on a sloppy ground... I'm sure you know the problem! 

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #7 - Dec 16th, 2018 at 12:37pm

Frondeur wrote on Dec 16th, 2018 at 11:47am:
I have only one captured sling, an it's a long one. I'm planning to make a mini one, just to sling in the woods, where it's sometimes hard to adjust your style, having a tree on this side, abush here, and that poopy of a branch over there, all tha on a sloppy ground... I'm sure you know the problem! 

I'm thinking of making another shorter one too. This one really only ended up so long because the length of paracord I started with was long and I didn't bother cutting it, I just built the rest of the sling to match Cheesy I'm thinking of also changing the shape of the pouch slightly to better hold ammo. This one still needs more testing I think before I make a second but I think a smaller one would be pretty cool.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #8 - Dec 16th, 2018 at 1:42pm

I'm slightly biased as the only captive release sling I have tried to kill both me and david Smiley

It's really bloody long.

A shorter one would probably be less lethal.

Although i still don't really see the point of them.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #9 - Dec 16th, 2018 at 2:11pm

I was just thinking how it would be good of I had a shorter version then realised that, with the knots I have for this long one, I can just adjust it, put some little plastic clips I have on and, hey presto, shorter sling! It's now fully adjustable and seems to suffer no ill effects! I'll post up some photos when I have time.

IP Logged

Frondeur

I'm the lead slinger in
a hard rock band

France
Reply #10 - Dec 22nd, 2018 at 1:43pm

done! I'm now the proud owner of a woodland mini-sling.
It's looking about just like your first model, Kick, and is just 50cm long (between the middle of the pouch to the release knot) and very light: 11g!
Now, 30-to-40 grams tissue ammo fits verry well in it.

To come:
- a better release system, someting lie yours, I think.
- the pouch. I will try a more "regular" trinagle pouch like here: http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1501700280

to be continued...

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #11 - Dec 22nd, 2018 at 2:33pm

Awesome! I still haven't much of a chance to test out mine properly but hopefully over you'd holiday I'll have a chance to get down to the park.

IP Logged

Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Reply #12 - Dec 24th, 2018 at 2:10pm

Send me your address and I will mail you one of my father's designs made for golf balls or baseball's.

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #13 - Dec 24th, 2018 at 2:16pm

lol just be warned jax;s slings are really long and the baseball one WILL try and kill you whistle

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #14 - Dec 24th, 2018 at 6:50pm

Burner wrote on Dec 24th, 2018 at 2:10pm:
Send me your address and I will mail you one of my father's designs made for golf balls or baseball's.

Awesome! That would be great to compare mine to it Cheesy

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Kick, Chris, Morphy, Rat Man, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker)