Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Modernising the sling, what's possible now??? (Read 11242 times)
NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Re: Modernising the sling, what's possible now???
Reply #30 - Dec 18th, 2018 at 9:13pm

If you have an electronic release, you might as well put it on a staff sling... then add a stereo camera, an accelerometer, a ballistic computer,  and a tension sensor so that it tracks your target and automatically releases at the right moment... all you have to do is swing the stick.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #31 - Dec 19th, 2018 at 2:35am

Now that is serious tech, I would say that given it had some serious computer running it it would be a possible today, power still from the user would be a hard part.

I'm really interested into different pouch design . There's so much variation and it plays such a big role in the way a sling performs. Personally I love a smallish split pouch for everyday use and here it generally works with most rocks. Polished smooth dense spheres don't like split pouches and if you use any unsuitable sizes you also fall into problems.

I don't often use other style pouches but I think there's a lot that could be debated pro or con.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #32 - Dec 19th, 2018 at 7:46am

I can make a one string sling with a simple electronic release. The robotic staff sling is too complicated Smiley
You can make that one Thumbs Up

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #33 - Dec 19th, 2018 at 12:03pm

Seems like NOOC gets volunteered for all the fancy projects. Ok NOOC, just in case roboslinger and the super staff sling isn't enough you could always do something like this. I think between these three projects we might have a chance against Jaegoor.

https://youtu.be/MHTizZ_XcUM

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #34 - Dec 19th, 2018 at 2:07pm

we could also use the sticks that breathe fire,
i hear they throw perfect spirals,
all you got to do is point and tickle a switch Tongue

they can penetrate armor too!

IP Logged

Blue Raja
Descens

Rediscovering An Ancient
Skill

Reply #35 - Dec 19th, 2018 at 3:21pm

CO2 powered glandes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uymuASdza58

A staff-sling variation - 'nun-sling" (or possibly sling-chuk)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P12pcUmCbi4

sling-drone! (I realize that this is a slingshot but - it is for inspiration only and a sling could be adapted for the same purpose)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNxgvG626bE

radio controlled glandes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMNYMl31580

depleted uranium kestros

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTh8lxRk8FY

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #36 - Dec 19th, 2018 at 7:26pm

I think some of Jaegoor's videos show what accuracy slingers can reasonably attain.

Someone with that level of practice and advanced athletic trainers could combine accuracy and strength in a pretty fantastic way.

In comparison to archery (before the invention of compounds):
Fiberglass bows are only marginally faster (if so) than well crafted "primitive" self bows and laminated recurves. I would say that most improvements came in the ability to make arrows more efficient and "better".

In the same way, the easiest way to modernize the sling/slinger combination would be to begin by modernizing the ammo with highly dense and scientifically aerodynamic ammo. Not that this hasn't been done thousands of years ago with bi-conical lead glands, but perhaps we could refine the process more today.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #37 - Dec 20th, 2018 at 9:18am

Morphy wrote on Dec 19th, 2018 at 12:03pm:
Seems like NOOC gets volunteered for all the fancy projects. Ok NOOC, just in case roboslinger and the super staff sling isn't enough you could always do something like this. I think between these three projects we might have a chance against Jaegoor.

https://youtu.be/MHTizZ_XcUM

If we’re going to use Mark Rober for inspiration, I’d say we have to build glitter bomb ammo!

I’m starting a little simpler in my quest to out-Jaegoor Jaegoor Grin
My next experiment is with a “sniper ring” sling where the ammo passes through a ring almost immediately after you release the cord (hopefully).  Form will still matter, but hopefully timing will be easier to nail down with a shorter delay between cord release and ammo release

Maybe I’ll weave in a super computer into the next one though  Cheesy

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #38 - Dec 20th, 2018 at 10:29am

Leave it to the engineer to think of all the new designs. First the half cupped now the ring sling. Smiley

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #39 - Dec 20th, 2018 at 11:31am

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Dec 20th, 2018 at 9:18am:
the ammo passes through a ring almost immediately after you release the cord

Wow!  That sounds amazing.  If that does work, I'd love to see it in action.  It definitely looks great in the picture.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #40 - Dec 20th, 2018 at 4:21pm

Well, I took a handful of test shots this morning and it seems to work pretty well as a proof of concept. The golf ball goes where I want it to, but it would take some practice to get the power of the throw just right. The thick steel ring is heavier than a golf ball, so it feels like the throws are weak compared to a normal sling. You are putting more energy into the ring than the ammo, and it feels a little weird. I think I will probably look for a thinner ring that isn’t so heavy and rebuild it.

IP Logged

cram
Descens

Reply #41 - Feb 5th, 2019 at 6:49am

I'm probably a bit late, but does this count?http://awesomeforsale.com/flick-shot/

It ain't target practice if you keep hitting.

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #42 - Feb 15th, 2019 at 4:13am

cram wrote on Feb 5th, 2019 at 6:49am:
I'm probably a bit late, but does this count?http://awesomeforsale.com/flick-shot/

Cram- That's actually kinda close to what I was going to suggest!
I was thinking something you would wear on your arm like a a bracer or something that would hold tension and release it simultaneously with the thrower.
Another thing that I think would be great to learn to aim is a target that would light up when you're lined up properly to it. Maybe using lasers.
Manufacturers and factories could create some amazing slings. All machine woven and slick.
Standardized ammo would also be fantastic.
One thing I'm curious if we haven't already done- Have we run a slinger through a computer program that tracks and analyzes his movements?

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #43 - Feb 15th, 2019 at 3:55pm

Tomas wrote on Feb 15th, 2019 at 4:13am:
One thing I'm curious if we haven't already done- Have we run a slinger through a computer program that tracks and analyzes his movements?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZCUq06OHpo
the closest we can get with 0$ budget.
having a graph is one thing , making it useful another...

making those graphs helped me with some misconceptions I had . It's not that making graphs will double our range or speed. Sad
How would you use 3D traction of a slinger?

I say to you the secret is in the compound sling Tongue

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #44 - Feb 15th, 2019 at 3:58pm

if only we could track down matthias borstadt.
he made  a working compound sling, never sent me one Sad
And then vanished, seemingly from the face of the planet.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Kick, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man)