Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
Modernising the sling, what's possible now??? (Read 11334 times)
Blue Raja
Descens

Rediscovering An Ancient
Skill

Re: Modernising the sling, what's possible now???
Reply #15 - Dec 17th, 2018 at 12:57am

The original question was: "keeping the sling fundamentaly the same what modern technology could be utilised to improve its accuracy, power ect?"

In archery, the relationship between arrow spine and draw weight was not completely understood until the shot sequence was analyzed with high speed videography.  Now, instead of making 100 arrows and shooting them repeatedly to cull the best 12, we can refer to arrow spine charts and recommendations for brace height, tiller, and nock height. 

My slinging improved dramatically once I was able to feel the lag and leverage it into a whipping motion to increase velocity.  I wonder if high speed videography would reveal some additional details.

As previously stated, modern materials make a dramatic difference.  It takes me about an hour to weave a pouch on a simple loom.  In the same time, I can put together 3 seat-belt slings using a slingshot (sorry CA!) band tying jig.  The seat-belt material is a better launch platform and it seems as though I achieve  about a 10-20% increase in distance when compared to the woven pouch.  The seat belt sling does not look as cool as the woven sling - but it is way more efficient.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #16 - Dec 17th, 2018 at 3:09am

For sure the main one is the materials that the sling is constructed from. I know for certain that my dyneema slings outperform all my other slings in distance and power, paracord gets close but dyneema is the best material I've used.

The analysis is a good point , only after reviewing countless slowmo footage have I realised that the pre wind up speed has little to no effect on my actual power stroke and more the lag angle and the power put into the final stroke. I originally thought twirl it as fast as you can and let go , not so.

I think magnetic and electronic releases are potentially a way to add power by removing the release cord , but purely a theory.

As for ammo, well I left that out of my original query because I think it's pretty easy to pimp a glande.
Accelerometer , LEDs , gyro, blades , lazers, explosives, gps, tungsten, there's a lot you can do to make them better.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #17 - Dec 17th, 2018 at 7:37am

@ Morphy, I can't believe you don't have that book Huh
I will post it when I get home tonight.

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #18 - Dec 17th, 2018 at 9:42am

Morphy wrote on Dec 16th, 2018 at 10:05pm:
NooneOfConsequence wrote on Dec 16th, 2018 at 8:29am:
Oh, come on, Morphy!  Everyone knows that magic hit its peak in medieval times and now that nobody believes in Santa, the only magic that still works requires a deck of cards.  And while it might be cool to sling magical playing cards, you can’t even legally use that magic anymore unless you join a union.

I want a sling of wounding with +5 to moving targets so I can keep up with Jaegoor.

Well as long as we’re going there, I want an inception sling that slings slinging slingers! Grin

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #19 - Dec 17th, 2018 at 2:50pm

I've heard good things about it Walter. One of many books I need to get.

Back to the original question. I think the half cupped pouch we have been seeing lately is a very interesting modern design. I like the idea of a mechanical release with only one cord as well. I think that has potential. Such a sling I think would have to use glandes with vanes to rifle the shot and connect to the back of the projectile instead of around the side. Seems like a very interesting idea though.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #20 - Dec 17th, 2018 at 2:57pm

Morphy wrote on Dec 17th, 2018 at 2:50pm:
I think the half cupped pouch we have been seeing lately is a very interesting modern design.

The Cthulhu sling I got from Flint has one of the smoothest releases of any sling I've used. I do really like that half cup.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #21 - Dec 17th, 2018 at 3:36pm

you can 3dprint the pouches and fingerloops whistle
just saying Smiley

as far as modernising pouch design, there's over 10,000 years of slingers who's slings have vanished into th mists of history.

Do you really think there's anything nobody has yet tried ?

A one string sling with a bluetooth/magnetic/electronic release - doable.
3v coincell and a small actuator and some thin wire is all you need.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/sourcingmap-HTO-0420L3V06-Actuator-Electric-Electromagn...
But would it be a sling ?
debateable.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #22 - Dec 17th, 2018 at 8:13pm

Right off, I have to say I do not believe modern materials will make us better slingers. I think of the Benjamites and Balearic slingers who were using natural fiber and old fashion leather to make their slings.
It just may be that when they were children, they were taught a systematic method of practice. Not just haphazardly throwing any old stone using this sling or that.
Some old time members of this site will probably remember posts where a member tells us he knew he was going to hit his target before he let go the release cord.
Many of us had experienced the same thing. We called it Zen slinging.

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #23 - Dec 17th, 2018 at 8:20pm

A systematic method of practice will help us more than titanium cords. Included the pic cause it was in between the two pages and I like it Cheesy

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #24 - Dec 18th, 2018 at 12:43am

Kick wrote on Dec 17th, 2018 at 2:57pm:
I think the half cupped pouch we have been seeing lately is a very interesting modern design.

The Cthulhu sling I got from Flint has one of the smoothest releases of any sling I've used. I do really like that half cup.

Flint makes some good looking slings. All the better that it works good too. I think it would be cool to make a half-cupped Egyptian woven pouch.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #25 - Dec 18th, 2018 at 2:57am

Walter I know of this zen , I've experienced it , a lot with slings less with bows .
True that a poor craftsmen blames his tools but I'm more interested in the discussion sorounding Tech advance to help.

But fair point slings are pretty much zen machines

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #26 - Dec 18th, 2018 at 4:01am

walter wrote on Dec 17th, 2018 at 8:13pm:
Some old time members of this site will probably remember posts where a member tells us he knew he was going to hit his target before he let go the release cord.
Many of us had experienced the same thing. We called it Zen slinging.

I've definitely had this. I live for those moments.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #27 - Dec 18th, 2018 at 4:10am

Morphy wrote on Dec 18th, 2018 at 12:43am:
Kick wrote on Dec 17th, 2018 at 2:57pm:

Flint makes some good looking slings. All the better that it works good too. I think it would be cool to make a half-cupped Egyptian woven pouch.

I must admit, when I first got Flint's sling I was worried that it would end up being just a decorative sling (a really well made custom Cthulhu decorative sling so I wasn't complaining Smiley ) but it's already more than proved itself. I love winter and using the Tibetan slings with snowballs but I'm also waiting to get back out to the beach on Lauttasaari and summon a certain octopus-headed god with sacrifices of stones into the sea Cheesy

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #28 - Dec 18th, 2018 at 5:56am

invisisling. Super light weight materials that make it nearly invisible.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #29 - Dec 18th, 2018 at 7:53am

well the old mantra: practice, practice and when you get bored - practice some more.
Will always be relevant.

But making things with modern materials is always fun.
Tempted to make the one cord electronic release, can't see any real difficulties with it Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Kick)