Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Modernising the sling, what's possible now??? (Read 11248 times)
Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Modernising the sling, what's possible now???
Dec 13th, 2018 at 11:07pm

I have a question, keeping the sling fundamentaly the same what modern technology could be utilised to improve its accuracy, power ect?

We already use machine woven cords and synthetic material but are there other things that haven't been done?

I have a concept of a single cord sling with a eletrictronic release. Taking the release cord out of the equation.

What you got??

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Re: Modernising the sling, what's possible now???
Reply #1 - Dec 14th, 2018 at 4:51am

I think materials could get even better. I think electronic releases wouldn't really improve that much. Training your own reactions would be more useful. I think one thing that I think affects this question is what someone is aiming to achieve through slinging. Accuracy? Power? Distance? They all of course influence each other and there is a lot of overlap but there are so many factors that affect those things in different ways that there is a broad number of things that could be improved. I think it's more through refining using technology (slo-mo and simulations etc.). It's possible to create the "perfect" sling using natural materials but the really really tiny refining can be done using technology.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #2 - Dec 14th, 2018 at 9:08am

Cybernetic enhancements to the human brain for perfect release calculation.

Al though I will pass on that

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #3 - Dec 14th, 2018 at 9:22am

AncientCraftwork wrote on Dec 14th, 2018 at 9:08am:
Cybernetic enhancements to the human brain for perfect release calculation.

That's a good point! Forget enhancing the sling, go for the slinger!

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #4 - Dec 14th, 2018 at 9:27am

Compound sling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXjyyMqGv5A

for 1200m throws Tongue let's surpass flight archery

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #5 - Dec 14th, 2018 at 10:23pm

Carbon nanotube rope, Automated windage correction, self guided ammo, high speed videography for analysis, radar glande tracking...

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #6 - Dec 15th, 2018 at 10:07pm

Here’s one for you: clothespins. They are really useful for complicated multi-strand slings like this one. It doesn’t make the sling better exactly but it makes it easier to make.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #7 - Dec 15th, 2018 at 10:08pm

And how about the Internet to share designs all over the world instantaneously? We learn from each other and improve on ideas rapidly.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #8 - Dec 15th, 2018 at 10:16pm

3D printing and cnc lathes for printing or cutting complex ammunition.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #9 - Dec 16th, 2018 at 2:44am

One word: Magic.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #10 - Dec 16th, 2018 at 8:29am

Oh, come on, Morphy!  Everyone knows that magic hit its peak in medieval times and now that nobody believes in Santa, the only magic that still works requires a deck of cards.  And while it might be cool to sling magical playing cards, you can’t even legally use that magic anymore unless you join a union.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #11 - Dec 16th, 2018 at 9:04am

The witchery of Archery. There is one sentence in that book that could revolutionalize archery and slinging.

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #12 - Dec 16th, 2018 at 10:29am

walter wrote on Dec 16th, 2018 at 9:04am:
There is one sentence in that book that could revolutionalize archery and slinging.

what sentence?
I've read part of the book has some nice tips

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #13 - Dec 16th, 2018 at 11:16am

Page 154 secońd chapter. This happened to me three times, so I know it is possible.

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #14 - Dec 16th, 2018 at 10:05pm

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Dec 16th, 2018 at 8:29am:
Oh, come on, Morphy!  Everyone knows that magic hit its peak in medieval times and now that nobody believes in Santa, the only magic that still works requires a deck of cards.  And while it might be cool to sling magical playing cards, you can’t even legally use that magic anymore unless you join a union.

I want a sling of wounding with +5 to moving targets so I can keep up with Jaegoor.

@Walter, are you going to make us guess? Please do tell.  Grin

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Chris, Morphy, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker)