Critique My Form (Read 1295 times)
cpman
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Austin, TX
Critique My Form
Dec 13th, 2018 at 4:41pm

Hi everyone,
I was messing around with my new sling and ended up filming some throws in slow-motion with my phone. I've been slinging for years, but I'm trying to work on improving my form, which is challenging with nothing other than videos online.

As you'll probably gather, I basically use a fig-8 most of the time.

I was wondering if I could get y'all's feedback on it. I'm especially interested in seeing if I could improve my footwork to help get more power out of my throw. In the videos attached, the first is a hard throw and the second is a softer throw (with a much bigger projectile that I purposely released low). Both videos are at 1/10 speed. Apologies in advance for the poor quality.

Thanks!

Throw1.mp4 (1102 KB | 86 )
Throw2.mp4 (1141 KB | 78 )

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Re: Critique My Form
Reply #1 - Dec 14th, 2018 at 3:26am

Throw1 looks much better. the motion of the sling behind your back 0:08-0:10 seems good. The rotation of the sling matches that of the shoulders , can't explain why this is good but most seem to do it naturally when going for power.

Throw2 seems it's all work of  the throwing arm and the left arm with the legs just follow its lead, which generally is considered bad at any kind of throwing.

for more power you could start with a more bend back leg to get a longer push off and accelerate your left arm more before tucking it in .

note: I don't use fig8 so often and currently I question my own techniques.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #2 - Dec 14th, 2018 at 5:03am

I agree with Sarosh. One other thing (related to how you are moving your legs) is hip movement. Your arm is coming forward before your hips have moved and in the second throw your hips barely move forward at all. For the most power, throw hips forward followed by your shoulder followed by arm followed by sling. Hip movement is one of the first things I look for because it's a major problem for me Cheesy I am very stiff with my throws so I don't efficiently transfer the power and that's what gives you power and distance.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Dec 14th, 2018 at 7:25am

video one is about as good as it gets. Thumbs Up

Video 2 you pull the final throw.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #4 - Dec 14th, 2018 at 12:06pm

@cpman

Do you know roughly what kind of distance you normally get with a fig-8 throw?

IP Logged

cpman
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Austin, TX
Reply #5 - Dec 14th, 2018 at 11:05pm

Awesome! Thanks for the advice y’all. I’ll definitelt try and work on my hip motion — I’ve always has an issue using my whole body to throw anything, so it makes sense that it carries over to slinging, too.

@joe_meadmaker: the last time I was measuring throws using google earth, my average, not really trying to throw far distance shots were in the 40-70m range depending on ammo and wind. That was with the kind of throw I can do like 200 of in a day— not really exerting myself at all. When I was doing a concerted effort to throw far (so throwing hard and really focusing), that jumped to like 65-105m or so. I still need to work on control and form when I’m throwing hard. I’ve never really gotten that good at using my whole body — but I’ve improved a lot on that between the last time I measured and making these videos. I expect I’m able to throw quite a lot further now. If I’m going for accuracy, those numbers top out at like 30-40m because I throw flatter and more down.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Kick, Rat Man, vetryan15)