Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
How important is slinging in your life? (Read 5211 times)
winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Re: How important is slinging in your life?
Reply #15 - Jan 16th, 2019 at 6:28pm

Nice philosophical question. At one point it was what I was doing to keep my sanity intact. Working full time while carrying a full Public Health Graduate Degree, slinging was how I kept my mind off work and school. Later after I graduTed, sling was how I kept my mind off of work ( My then company had lied to me about how much my salary was going to be).  Left that job eventually and life went into a nose spin. Just sort of faded out of it while I worked on more important stuff. When I was a traveling g contractor, I did meet up with two forum members (Sling badger and Morningstar) for some slinging related fun. Lost both of my ranges due to family drama. That was kinda the death knell for me and my slinging. I am starting to come back, but I don’t think it is going to be as important to me as it was back when this forum was just getting started.

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #16 - Jan 18th, 2019 at 7:48pm

I used to sling and make slings more than I do now but I still consider slinging important.  Why?  Totally independent of modern technology or manufacturing I can quickly make a viable weapon completely on my own.  It's like money in the bank.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #17 - Jan 18th, 2019 at 10:17pm

I hear you Rat Man. Philosophically, there’s something liberating about knowing you could make a deadly weapon anywhere and any time... There’s absolutely nothing wrong with dangerous people as long as they are trustworthy and honorable  Smiley

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #18 - Jan 19th, 2019 at 7:34am

In the Chinese culture there is a famous writer named Louis Cha. He wrote fictional stories based on actual historical events and captured pretty much the entire Chinese reading audience since the 50's. In one of his many successful books, the Condor Heros, there are characters who were martial arts masters adept in throwing pebbles with deadly force as weapons. That's kind of our version of superheroes in the ancient east. These Condor Heros ended up fighting the Mongolian army in a final epic battle. The story ended with an impossible throw from the main character. Killing the Mogolian general and pushed back the ultimate invasion for decades.
As a teenager, I used to sling and imagine myself training to be one of the Condor Heros (although the characters didn't use slings. They threw with empty hand and chi power)...still do I guess Cheesy
In other words, slinging is very important to me. It lets me escape reality and opened a portal for me to enter a world of imagination.

IP Logged

Funditor406
Descens

Shattered Remains. Wonder
why.

Turah, Montana
Reply #19 - Jan 21st, 2019 at 1:54pm

Back then before slinging, I wasn't a confident young man, I didn't have much merit to credit myself other than the occasional mediocre piece of art I did in the past. I didn't have merit, people tended to steamroll me in any sort of competition. Not to mention I had an abusive toxic friendship which dragged my self esteem down to Hell. I didn't really know who I was or what my "point" was, but then I took up slinging after reading a clearly embellished article in a class. I always knew what a sling was supposed to be, but as everybody else thought it was some kind of joke weapon, but after reading the article about its merits in combat, I began to become interested in making and using them. When my technique refined I was impressed by the power of beauty of such a deceptively simple device. Needless to say I take the weapon way more seriously these days and get a little pissy when I see people using them idiotically.

The sling made me more confident, I could create cool looking things that practically only I could use, rather enchanting really. It encouraged me get stronger, and think more critically. Also Dark Souls is a pretty great asset to who I am today for similar reasons. I figured out for myself that life isn't (or shouldn't) be a massive competition, it's okay to lose, as long as you improve upon your defeat, whether you stay with it, or figure out something else that's more tailored to you.

There's nothing more enchanting than watching a stone fly far through the air at incredible speeds in which you could not achieve by a hand's throw alone.

IP Logged

Funditor406
Descens

Shattered Remains. Wonder
why.

Turah, Montana
Reply #20 - Jan 21st, 2019 at 1:59pm

I also forgot to write that competition is mostly for fun, but yeah.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #21 - Jan 21st, 2019 at 4:53pm

I find slinging to be a great stress reliever.  When my mother was in the final stages of her terminal illness, I used to sling almost every day. 

I still find it relaxing.  I don't sling but about once or twice a month, it's been very wet for the last 6-8 months, my gravel beds have either been washed away, covered in silt or were under water when I got there.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #22 - Jan 24th, 2019 at 2:42pm

Bill Skinner wrote on Jan 21st, 2019 at 4:53pm:
I find slinging to be a great stress reliever.  When my mother was in the final stages of her terminal illness, I used to sling almost every day. 

I still find it relaxing.  I don't sling but about once or twice a month, it's been very wet for the last 6-8 months, my gravel beds have either been washed away, covered in silt or were under water when I got there.   

Agreed. When my late wife was fighting cancer I found making slings a great stress reliever.  I don't know how many I made to stay sane (sane for me anyway) but to this day there are still way too many slings around here.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #23 - Feb 2nd, 2019 at 7:57am

Quote:
but to this day there are still way too many slings around here

Is that even possible noidea
Found a couple of bags of them recently Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #24 - Feb 2nd, 2019 at 3:50pm

Not as important as it once was but still something I enjoy and wish I could do more often.

Back when I lived in NYC making slings and throwing rocks into the east river helped keep me sane. Actually I made slings for my groomsmen. Since movingI've had less opportunity to sling though much of that is fatherhood having less time. But I'll teach my kids to sling. And periodically I'll make more slings.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #25 - Feb 3rd, 2019 at 3:29pm

perpetualstudent wrote on Feb 2nd, 2019 at 3:50pm:
Since movingI've had less opportunity to sling though much of that is fatherhood having less time. But I'll teach my kids to sling. And periodically I'll make more slings.

I know that feeling well... having young kids both inspires you to do more with your time and keeps you from getting anything done! 

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #26 - Feb 21st, 2019 at 11:38pm

Sadly, my reason to go outside and sling tennis balls every day is now gone. My beloved golden retriever passed away a few weeks ago thanks to a sudden and aggressive cancer. My goofy dalmation/poodle mix is a great family dog, but he’s a defective fetcher at best. He chases the ball, but then he drops it halfway across the yard before walking up to me and asking me to pet him. Chasing and retrieving tennis balls was one of my golden’s favorite things in the world, and I still like it, but slinging is just not the same without her.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #27 - Feb 23rd, 2019 at 10:05am

So sorry to hear that NOC.  Absolutely heartbreaking.  You definitely have my sympathy.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Morphy, Chris, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Kick)