Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
How important is slinging in your life? (Read 5210 times)
AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

How important is slinging in your life?
Dec 10th, 2018 at 3:35pm

As title

For me its one of the things that give my life more reason to live & combats depression.

Slinging motivates me to earn more money.

I want a nice rural place where I can live in peace, I already work from home, so that is settled.

My dream in life is attainable - a rural house, clean air, clean water, a small car to get me from a to b, to work from home definitely, and have slinging property.

I've reached about 3.5 of these goals so far, air could be better. But that should go on par with the rural house..

So yes, slinging is very important in my life

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Re: How important is slinging in your life?
Reply #1 - Dec 10th, 2018 at 3:44pm

A few years ago, just as I was getting into slinging, I was talking with my girlfriend and talking about hobbies. I felt I didn't have really any proper hobbies. My dad has cycling, her dad has golf, some people have other sports (watching or playing or both), some people have art etc. and I was starting to think maybe slinging would be my "thing".

Well all these years later, 30+ slings owned, slings recieved from around the world, slings I've made and sent off around the  world, new skills learned and new knowledge gained... I think I made a good choice.

I almost always have a sling on me and often more than one and I never pass up a slinging opportunity. It's really become an important part of who I am and I can't see myself not slinging.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - Dec 10th, 2018 at 4:04pm

After 13 years on this forum it's become a huge part of my life.
for the 20 or so years before that it was just something I'd learned and did  occasionally while walking the dogs.

Since then it's taken me to wyoming, the balearic islands and various places in the uk I'd probably never have seen.

Not to mention being the principle slinger in a book, the only person in history to have built, attended and organised slinging events on 2 continents and 4 countries.

I've met a huge variety of people, some I count among my best friends.

Now if I could only earn money from it - things would be perfect Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #3 - Dec 10th, 2018 at 5:09pm

It used to BE my life basically, hahaha. But now I have little time to do it and find myself just wanting to do something easier with my free time. But I still feel a draw to it. If that makes any sense.

“When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.”

IP Logged

timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Reply #4 - Dec 10th, 2018 at 7:28pm

Many may think that I'm just clowning around with slings. But slinging is important.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #5 - Dec 11th, 2018 at 4:03am

I feel for me it's like learning chess.
First you see others play or are introduced to it.
If you learn to move all the figures and the rules you can say you know how to play. Then you keep learning, you might become the best of your friends , the best in the world, but to get there you must keep on playing, game after game , sling after sling , win or lose ,hit or miss.
You will never ever forget but if you don't practice you will become rusty. To keep progressing is to be a slinger. You can't just say it you must do it to become better.
So for me the importance of slinging in my life is built in the past and a strong keynote in my identity. As long as I am able I will sling.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #6 - Dec 11th, 2018 at 1:51pm

For me, slings are a tie to the past.  I like slings, longbows, swords, making mead, etc.  As I'm sure many others do.  When making a sling or a bow I think about people that may have been doing it hundreds or thousands of years ago.  And what these objects would have been for them.  "Thousands of years ago" isn't a concept I can fully wrap my head around.  And so I find it fascinating.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #7 - Dec 11th, 2018 at 2:11pm

joe_meadmaker wrote on Dec 11th, 2018 at 1:51pm:
For me, slings are a tie to the past.  I like slings, longbows, swords, making mead, etc.  As I'm sure many others do.  When making a sling or a bow I think about people that may have been doing it hundreds or thousands of years ago.  And what these objects would have been for them.  "Thousands of years ago" isn't a concept I can fully wrap my head around.  And so I find it fascinating.

Very good point. When everything comes together and I manage to throw super smoothly and land the hit just where I was aiming it can feel like I've fallen back in time. I love it.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Dec 11th, 2018 at 2:48pm

@ Joe  Thumbs Up  Making cordage out of plant fiber also sends me back in time. Gathering, extracting the fibers, drying and then
reverse twisting and or braiding. Most ancient people did the exact same thing. Love it  Smiley

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Blue Raja
Descens

Rediscovering An Ancient
Skill

Reply #9 - Dec 11th, 2018 at 5:02pm

Very good question and a great way for us to learn more about what motivates us a slingers. 

Very important.

In my calendar, I keep track of exercise, creativity, and work. Slinging often falls into both the creativity and exercise sections.

Weather permitting, my daily exercise routine includes locating rocks on my walk, stretches, stick twirling and swinging, all as warm-ups for slinging rocks for distance.  Feeling a well-timed release and watching a rock sail through the air can elevate the spirit.  As Joe_Meadmaker said, I think about my ancestors, who most likely used a sling to protect domestic animals and in battles.

Making slings and researching sling history are creative endeavors.

My avocation is experimental anthropology, especially archery's antecedents, including slings, kestros, baton de commandement, atlatl, and pathfinder arrows.  How did these leverage and momentum based weapons evolve into an enduring stored-energy weapon?

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #10 - Dec 11th, 2018 at 7:15pm

Very important though I haven't done it much lately. Hiking in the mountains with a sling or bow is/was among my favorite things to do. I also enjoy mushroom hunting so hiking, slinging and mushroom hunting form a perfect combination of hobbies I can do all at the same time. Life is just better with a sling.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #11 - Dec 11th, 2018 at 9:39pm

For me slinging is cathartic. Between my high tech day job and my e-commerce side business, almost everything thing else I do affects people’s lives or costs thousands of dollars (at least).  The most consequential result I might get from doing something wrong with my sling is that I get some dirty looks from my dog when I accidentally throw her ball over the fence.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #12 - Dec 12th, 2018 at 10:45am

That last part made me chuckle a bit on the inside. What sort of ecommerce business do you run? If you don’t mind me asking.

“When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.”

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #13 - Dec 12th, 2018 at 1:23pm

Drakolith wrote on Dec 12th, 2018 at 10:45am:
That last part made me chuckle a bit on the inside. What sort of ecommerce business do you run? If you don’t mind me asking.

We just sell random things through Amazon. Basically we buy things locally and resell them online for a small profit. We’re a very small player, but it’s a good enough business that my wife can work from home and we even have a part-time employee that the business supports.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

theostravos
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #14 - Dec 12th, 2018 at 5:50pm

First of All Have a nice day all of you fellow slingers
For me, slinging is a new madness. You see, I am deep in targeting. Hunting also. So, this weapon, with the non existing ability to use sights, with the demand of personal accurate motion in order to make it work simply  stroke my heart, the last years. I have made a lot of them, in order to find the one that is good for me. Now I am proud to say that from 10 metres I FINALLY start to get a consistency in targeting. And if somebody of you is kind enough to teach me how to use the camera to record it, I would be able to present it to you. A very small progress for most of you, but for me is a progress high as a mountain. Yeah, this pre-ancient lethal dance, has taken my mind away from my shotguns and slingshots.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Kick, Morphy, vetryan15, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker)