Send Topic Print
What type of Sling (Read 5264 times)
Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Re: What type of Sling
Reply #15 - Dec 11th, 2018 at 4:29am

@
Mersa

theory differs from practice in that the radius of the trajectory of the projectile when in contact with the sling  does not match the length of the sling.

so there's probably a bell curve about efficiency. but one cannot say it's the sling length that makes the difference in efficiency , actually it's the ability of the thrower to make the radius of the curve before release as big as possible with the sling he uses.

some will be able to do it with longer slings others with shorter because of their anatomy(?) or habits.

PS:
Mersa wrote on Dec 11th, 2018 at 3:48am:
an extremely large one would have such a large window that the thrower would be more likely to make mistakes .

large window means he is allowed to make more mistakes and hit the target, not that he will do more mistakes.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #16 - Dec 11th, 2018 at 5:03am

True , the slinger performs all actions and the sling is only a tool. But I have not seen pinpoint accuracy with what I would call a long sling. I have seen a lot with what I would call a short sling.
Maybe due to the additional power needed to prepell a longer sling at the same rpm, I'm not sure it's just my experience.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #17 - Dec 11th, 2018 at 1:24pm

I have another thought on accuracy with short slings vs long ones.  What about the fact that a long sling will put the projectile in a position farther from the slinger's eyeline.  The same idea that "shooting from the hip" is more difficult than looking down the sight.  When the release point is farther away from the eyeline, more estimation of the needed angle comes in to play.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #18 - Dec 11th, 2018 at 2:07pm

@
joe_meadmaker

nice idea maybe that can explain why balears had 3 different sling lengths ?
to keep the ratio : (eye to release point) /( eye to target distance) relatively the same.

IP Logged

Logan757
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #19 - Dec 11th, 2018 at 7:14pm

Think moa like in firearms. Moa is an angular measurement which is basically 1 inch at a 100 yards at 50 yrds 1 moa is half an inch. It’s the same angle of error which you proved but the tangible distance between each Ray is larger the further from the vortex

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #20 - Dec 12th, 2018 at 12:48am

Logan757 wrote on Dec 11th, 2018 at 7:14pm:
It’s the same angle of error which you proved but the tangible distance between each Ray is larger the further from the vortex

I didn't get it.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #21 - Dec 12th, 2018 at 5:14am

Der Winkel zu denn Augen wird falsch beurteilt.  Ebenso das Zielen überhaupt.  Sie benötigen drei Punkte für eine gute visierung.

Ich selbst benutze die gedachte Verlängerung meiner Augen und die gedachte Verlängerung des bauchnabel.  Wo diese Linien sich kreuzen,  sollte sich das Ziel befinden.

Eine lange sling ist in der Handhabung gleich.  Unterschiedlich jedoch ist das öffnen.  Eine kurze sling öffnet sich wesentlich schneller

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #22 - Dec 12th, 2018 at 7:26am

Jaegoor wrote on Dec 12th, 2018 at 5:14am:
Eine kurze sling öffnet sich wesentlich schneller

This was my understanding of how length can affect aiming. I always find longer slings tend to go left due to misjudging how early they need to be released due to the extra time needed for them to open. Of course, if I practised with just the one length of sling, I would quickly adapt but it's something I've noticed with switching between short and long.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #23 - Dec 12th, 2018 at 7:44am

again - depends what I'm doing.

Obviously a shorter sling is better for close up target shooting (up to about 100 metres)
And longer slings better for further away.

My edc is around 32 inches which is a decent compromise between my target slings and distance slings. 

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

theostravos
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #24 - Dec 12th, 2018 at 6:05pm

My belief is that a sling of about 65 cm, is very good for me. Is the size that I find more good for accuracy. Furthermore, I prefer the more light ones, such as the paracord ones, because I feel better the weight of the projectile.  Furthermore, I have to clarify that I prefer the overhead Greek style. Maybe this is the reason why very low targets, were so difficult to me.

IP Logged

Leray
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Tempe, AZ
Reply #25 - Dec 16th, 2018 at 9:23am

I do not understand how this discussion can even be made.  My experience (very limited) is that the length of the sling is a direct function of the mass of the glande.  .....   transolution,  how can we discuss length with including mass?? 

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #26 - Dec 16th, 2018 at 10:04am

Longer slings can help you throw heavier ammo but you can still throw heavy ammo with short slings and light ammo with long slings. It comes down to preference and what you're used to using. Personally, I use both but have to adapt my throwing style, as most people do.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #27 - Dec 16th, 2018 at 10:24am

25-29 - Shorter, manoeuvrable, accurate, for more confined spaces or slinging on the move

30-34 - Mid range, balanced in all things

35-39 -  Leans towards power and range but still decently manoeuvrable

40-50 - Maximal range and good for big rocks, but pretty unwieldy and you can only use a few styles

I choose based on where I'm slinging. A 45 inch range sling is pretty rubbish in some confined woods where you might be aiming for nearby small targets as you are strolling through. Likewise a 27 inch target sling feels very underwhelming if you are wanting to launch big rocks far out to sea on a deserted beach.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #28 - Dec 16th, 2018 at 12:34pm

JudoP wrote on Dec 16th, 2018 at 10:24am:
25-29 - Shorter, manoeuvrable, accurate, for more confined spaces or slinging on the move

30-34 - Mid range, balanced in all things

35-39 -  Leans towards power and range but still decently manoeuvrable

40-50 - Maximal range and good for big rocks, but pretty unwieldy and you can only use a few styles

I choose based on where I'm slinging. A 45 inch range sling is pretty rubbish in some confined woods where you might be aiming for nearby small targets as you are strolling through. Likewise a 27 inch target sling feels very underwhelming if you are wanting to launch big rocks far out to sea on a deserted beach.

This too ^^^^^
It's another one of the reasons I love slinging. Yeah, at it's most basic, it's chucking rocks with a bit of rope, but there is so much variation in what you can do.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Rat Man, vetryan15, Morphy, Curious Aardvark)