Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What type of Sling (Read 5352 times)
Logan757
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

What type of Sling
Dec 7th, 2018 at 9:28pm

I personally like long slings more, but I am a lot less accurate.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Re: What type of Sling
Reply #1 - Dec 7th, 2018 at 9:48pm

I'd say I like a sling to be in the middle.  For me, that's holding a loaded sling at my side and having it just shy of touching the ground, give or take a bit.  That's the length I'm most familiar with anyway.  I've used shorter slings also, but not really anything much longer.

What is your point for determining whether a sling is long or short?

IP Logged

Logan757
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Dec 7th, 2018 at 9:57pm

Yes I agree with your length. A long sling has to be swung around the head to be used a short sling can be dangled down and then flung from there or you could do Byzantine style with too.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #3 - Dec 8th, 2018 at 4:43am

Oh boy, I don't think I can choose. I have slings of various lengths from really pretty short ones (I have a sling made by Loki that's 56.5cm from the pouch centre to the end of the finger loop) to really very long slings (the longest is a Tibetan wool sling that's 124cm long from the centre of the pouch to the end of the finger loop). I find both can be very fun but it's usually easier to be accuate with a very long sling than a very short one (for me at least).

I got some video yesterday on my phone slinging snowballs with the two Tibetan slings I have (the shorter one is 97cm) and they are really fun to sling. With the super long one, I have to start off with it across my shoulders (in the third clip) as it's just too long to comfortably start from a vertical position.

https://youtu.be/xOTFLp866y0
« Last Edit: Dec 8th, 2018 at 5:55am by Kick »  

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #4 - Dec 8th, 2018 at 3:29pm

Short, because I am short

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #5 - Dec 8th, 2018 at 6:46pm

The length of the sling should also depend on how heavy your ammo is.  A sling is a transmission system that converts strength into speed. If your ammo is really heavy, you need more strength to accelerate it, so you should use a shorter sling. Lighter ammo... longer sling.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Dec 8th, 2018 at 8:08pm

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Dec 8th, 2018 at 6:46pm:
The length of the sling should also depend on how heavy your ammo is.  A sling is a transmission system that converts strength into speed. If your ammo is really heavy, you need more strength to accelerate it, so you should use a shorter sling. Lighter ammo... longer sling.

Depends on the weight of the sling.

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #7 - Dec 9th, 2018 at 12:16pm

walter wrote on Dec 8th, 2018 at 8:08pm:
NooneOfConsequence wrote on Dec 8th, 2018 at 6:46pm:

Depends on the weight of the sling.

The only time you want a weighted sling is when you are intentionally throwing lightweight ammo and can afford to waste energy accelerating the extra sling mass. Otherwise lighter is better because more energy goes to the ammo for the same energy out of your muscles.  It really doesn’t matter much either way though unless you are trying to get absolute maximum performance.  To do that, you’d have to build custom ammo that is matched to the pouch shape and tune the masses and lengths to perfection specifically for your body and slinging style. So far, nobody has taken it to the limit yet, but you’re welcome to try!

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Blue Raja
Descens

Rediscovering An Ancient
Skill

Reply #8 - Dec 9th, 2018 at 1:20pm

I am a distance slinger and tall - so 36 inches from (91.44 cm) from the folded pouch to the retention loop works best for me.

I sling tennis balls and golf balls as well as a variety of rocks.

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #9 - Dec 10th, 2018 at 9:12am

For me, it depends what I want it to do. Accuracy, short sling. Distance, long sling.

“When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.”

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #10 - Dec 10th, 2018 at 9:52am

what I'm training with is what i prefer, what i'm training with is what I'm making . chance determines what I make. over the years I've gone from 1,2m to 90cm to 60cm then back to 70cm now i'm at 75cm

Drakolith wrote on Dec 10th, 2018 at 9:12am:
Accuracy, short sling. Distance, long sling.

the accuracy is inversely proportional to the forces you apply. if long sling achieves longer range with the same power then at the same range the shorter requires more power => less accuracy . shouldn't then the longer sling be more accurate?
either the efficiency doesn't change much(no big differencies in distance) or we should be more accurate with longer slings. Tongue

IP Logged

Logan757
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #11 - Dec 10th, 2018 at 3:32pm

The longer the sling the more error at the end of the sling plus what u said so two factors are playing in

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #12 - Dec 10th, 2018 at 8:32pm

I find that for me the best sling length is half of my height.  So I'm at my best with a 38" sling.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #13 - Dec 11th, 2018 at 2:41am

Logan757 wrote on Dec 10th, 2018 at 3:32pm:
The longer the sling the more error at the end of the sling plus what u said so two factors are playing in

the error we have when we throw with sling or hand is angular. the permitted errors are all included in a cone with its base being the target and it's tip the release point of the projectile .
Doing a little geometry graph i've concluded to this (see picture below). φ1 = φ2= φ3=θ which means the permitted error is the same. for the same angle θ the longer sling travels a bigger dx(=θ*R) which means the window in the curve which you release should get bigger not smaller.
it's like the extra length of the longer sling is added to the range between your hand and the target which is negligible.

please notice me if you find something wrong with my conclusions.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #14 - Dec 11th, 2018 at 3:48am

If your purely talking about the sling accuracy of a sling rotating at the same rpm at release point I would say there is a bell curve , an extremely short sling would be extremely hard to time the release point and an extremely large one would have such a large window that the thrower would be more likely to make mistakes . But I do think at the same rotation rpm release point on most average sized slings accuracy lean to the longer slings in theory but in practice shorter slings seem to be at higher performance point making them more consistent and the thrower improve .

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Chris, Kick, Morphy, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker)