Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Knife abuse (Read 3464 times)
NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Knife abuse
Dec 2nd, 2018 at 8:17pm

This week I rescued a knife from the front desk of the office where I used to work.  It was terribly abused before being abandoned at the front desk. The receptionist was happy to get it off her desk and the original owner doesn’t deserve it back!  It looks like it was used as a prybar until the tip broke, then it was partially ground to act like a flat head screw driver or something.
I am thinking I will try turning it into a tanto point and grind back the top serrations to try to make it look more natural even though it’s missing a big chunk off the tip. I have already started working back the serrations. It actually looked much worse earlier today!

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Re: Knife abuse
Reply #1 - Dec 3rd, 2018 at 3:41am

Ouch. That's pretty messed up. Good project knife now Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #2 - Dec 3rd, 2018 at 10:59am

Wow, spyderco, those aren’t cheap knives, I’d never use an expensive knife to destruction like that. I’d understand if it was some 10 dollar off brand Chinese knife but, man people can be really wasteful.

“When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.”

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Dec 3rd, 2018 at 2:36pm

You have to make sure the tip is covered when you close the knife, otherwise you'll cut holes in your pockets.

Looks like a good project, post an after picture when you're done.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #4 - Dec 3rd, 2018 at 4:09pm

That’s a good point Bill (no pun intended),
The back edge of the broken tip is still covered by the handle, so I should be ok, but it will be more likely to snag on loose threads or loose fabric. As nice as Spydercos are, I probably won’t carry it in my pocket too often anyway because my wife gave me a Benchmade for my birthday this year.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #5 - Dec 3rd, 2018 at 7:34pm

Just remember not to heat up the steel to much if using power tools. That will ruin the temper. I am not a fan of those high priced water jet cut or steel cut out blades. I prefer to forge my own, make a em worth more to me, and more heart felt if I break em, like I did my EDC viking sax knife over the summer.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #6 - Dec 3rd, 2018 at 10:46pm

Nope. The only tool I’m using to shape it is a medium diamond stone. It’s slow but not as slow as you’d think, and it doesn’t heat the blade one bit.
Sorry about the viking sax, Vet. It’s a sad day whenever you lose a good knife. That’s why it makes me so mad that the former owner treated this spyderco like it was a shovel. It’s going to be as good as new when I’m finished though. I’ll post new photos when it’s done.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #7 - Dec 4th, 2018 at 6:27am

I love my diamond stones,  I usually have an audience when I pull em out. It's a nice set. I ended up just breaking the tip, I just gotta get the time to fix it. It was one of the first few blades I forged myself

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #8 - Dec 4th, 2018 at 9:50am

Here’s an update. Two days of reshaping and the serrations are almost flush. The tanto point needs a lot more work, and there’s one really deep nic I haven’t removed from the edge yet, but progress is steady. Even now it has a really nice edge (other than that nic) and will serve as a functional cutter. I also cut about a 1/16” ramp on the back per Bill’s comment. That was just enough that I can run my finger along the closed tip without catching the broken point even if I press my finger into the groove a bit.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #9 - Dec 4th, 2018 at 10:05am

And here’s the tools I’m using...

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #10 - Dec 4th, 2018 at 10:32am

Really nice. It'll be cool to see the finished blade.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #11 - Dec 4th, 2018 at 12:09pm

Agree with kicktheotter, that's looking great!

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #12 - Dec 5th, 2018 at 6:51am

SEAX - just saying whistle

good job on the folder though Thumbs Up
Can't beat a free knife Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #13 - Dec 5th, 2018 at 12:17pm

I learned the hard way about just grinding down a knife with a broken tip.  Mine was a Puma folding hunting knife with a serrated saw as a second blade.  The former owner broke the tip off while prying something and he gave it to me.  He had picked it up while in Germany, it had good steel in the blade but the lock for the blade eventually broke when I was dressing a deer. I was cutting the head off and batonning the blade through the neck bones, something I had done several times before.  Apparently, that time I had the blade at the wrong angle, it put all the stress of the blow on the lock instead of the blade.  I still kept it for years because the saw was so useful.  Eventually, it disappeared, pretty sure my EX brother in law stole it while I was over seas somewhere.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #14 - Dec 10th, 2018 at 11:49am

Well, other than a few leftover scratches from the days when it was moonlighting as a shovel, I’d say this is basically a new knife.  The scratches could be polished out pretty easily. The irony is that the tanto point it has now would have been much better for digging and prying Smiley

Either way, I’m going to declare victory on this restoration!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris)