Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Slinging questions (Read 2733 times)
Willem208

Slinging Rocks!

South Africa
Slinging questions
Dec 1st, 2018 at 6:20am

I've been looking for a tutorial for making a new sling. I have a roll of cotton string. I want to attempt to weave me a nice sling.
Second, I made a reverse twist cord with the cotton and tried them on my leather sling pouch, but they were too stretchy and really annoying to  sling with. Maybe braiding will be less stretch? Ideas?
Third, I've been digging around the forums a lot. The content and tutorials are all over the place. The links in the tutorials page are mostly outdated and then I have to search for the sling. Often the tutorials are confusing and I don't know enough to figure it out myself. I love this site. Good people, good content but difficult to find. It would be great if we can update the tutorials page.
So basically, what sling to make with my cotton? I have a tiny bit of leather. I also want to try and get some seatbelt for another sling. And what are your favourite cords? Some pics will help. And links to other complete tutorials please. And maybe even some of your favourite slings.
Hope that made sense and somebody could answer my questions. Thanks everyone.  Grin Wink

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Re: Slinging questions
Reply #1 - Dec 1st, 2018 at 7:50am

I've made a lot (probably the majority) of my slings out of cotton office string and I usually do a simple three strand braid but herringbone works well too. There are quite a few tutorials around the internet for this type. The ones on the forum are a little scattered and then the Slinging.org website has been out of action for wuite a while so some of them are locked away.

This video is quite basic but gives a pretty good starting point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-rckyeMYQ8

With the measurements they give... I would say make loads of slings and see what works. I have my own way of measuring lengths to make slings but it's just sort of... "about that long". I've made enough of them now that I sort of just know how long they need to be. Also I don't bother switching braids, I just make the whole thing with flat 3 strand braid or herringbone. Also tapering the release cord isn't absolutely necessary and I didn't for a lot of my slings. So yeah my advice is to make loads of slings and eventually you'll end up with one you like Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Dec 1st, 2018 at 9:48am

Paracord on seatbelt and Spanish slings. Two mm hemp balearic slings are the sling types I make and use the most.

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #3 - Dec 1st, 2018 at 10:16am

Ive sort of moved away from cotton and wool due in part to the strechiness you mentioned. If I have to use stretchy material I prefer a thinner cord. Thick cords I find have a bouncy feeling which is not great for my target accuracy.

IP Logged

Willem208

Slinging Rocks!

South Africa
Reply #4 - Dec 1st, 2018 at 1:56pm

I'll try weave one. Maybe try a balearic one day. And definitely a seat belt sling.

IP Logged

Willem208

Slinging Rocks!

South Africa
Reply #5 - Dec 7th, 2018 at 1:58pm

Well I made a Rockman sling. And I plan to make many more. The big roll of soft nylon I have is perfect for these slings with a cotton pouch. An I also got some seat belt and made a sling. That thing performed amazingly. I definitely will make more of these slings.  Smiley

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #6 - Dec 7th, 2018 at 2:07pm

Let's see some pictures Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Willem208

Slinging Rocks!

South Africa
Reply #7 - Dec 8th, 2018 at 8:01am

I'll try...... 😁

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #8 - Dec 8th, 2018 at 3:31pm

My favorite type is the aussie pouch, but with 2 pieces of leather belt. Throws everything, from nuts to fruits to stones ragged and round, to iceballs, lead, tennisballs, golf balls, and clay glandes of any shape. It's the only pouch form that I am confident throwing anything with that is sized properly no matter the shape.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Dec 8th, 2018 at 4:51pm

How wide and thick is the belt?

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #10 - Dec 9th, 2018 at 8:08am

walter wrote on Dec 8th, 2018 at 4:51pm:
How wide and thick is the belt?

The most practical one I have used roughly 3.5cm wide belt and, probably around 3 mm thick. It has to be thick enough so that the pouch folds easily. I also do not use any glue. Just overlap them as with the aussie pouch, punch two holes, whip on 2 cords and you got an incredibly utilitarian sling.

I haven't braided a sling since I started using these. My slinging wasn't complete until I discovered I love these the most. I've tride many types of braided slings, leather slings, seatbelt slings, simple slings, and a sling from Livermore, but they all sacrifice being good for one type of ammo while less so with other.

This design is the only sling (design) that I am confident throwing around others, if I have to.

I really hate spending hours and hours on braiding a sling only to find out it doesnt work as well as these which take 5 minute to make. I no longer find satisfaction in braiding slings if it doesn't lead to improvement. Better or bust

IP Logged

Willem208

Slinging Rocks!

South Africa
Reply #11 - Dec 9th, 2018 at 1:21pm

This sounds interesting. Can I have a photo?  Smiley

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #12 - Dec 10th, 2018 at 5:27am

Willem208 wrote on Dec 9th, 2018 at 1:21pm:
This sounds interesting. Can I have a photo?  Smiley

Here are two,

« Last Edit: Dec 10th, 2018 at 8:49am by Curious Aardvark »  

IP Logged

Willem208

Slinging Rocks!

South Africa
Reply #13 - Dec 10th, 2018 at 8:01am

Thanks. Now I will go and make another sling.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Morphy)