Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Excavating pit house village (Read 1886 times)
walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Excavating pit house village
Nov 24th, 2018 at 2:56pm

A couple pics of two rooms in a pithouse village  that is currently being partially excavated. I think there are about a dozen rooms and several grain storage pits. It was continually occupied from at least 750 AD to 1280.

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Re: Excavating pit house village
Reply #1 - Nov 24th, 2018 at 3:07pm

Are you there working on them as well?

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Nov 24th, 2018 at 3:29pm

No. I was there this am trying to get some pics. The crew showed up about an hour later. The SO invited the head guy to talk about the dig on a local radio station and I managed to ask him if they had found any atlatls or slings. He said no, just a few dart points.
We left them to their work and wandered off a short distance to play sling catch.
I also tested my new sling with the woven pouch cover. I know I threw at least 50 stones, but the pouch straps still look brand new
Happiness  Cheesy

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #3 - Nov 24th, 2018 at 4:01pm

Wow. That's awesome. Has this been a recent find, or been worked on for awhile. Maybe in time they might find some slings, or possibly atlatl  darts

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Nov 24th, 2018 at 5:53pm

Known, but it was a long walk to get there until the town built a road connecting two hwys.  The road misses the village by less than 50 yds so it is now well known and acessible.
Twenty some years ago, I walked into the forest north of this site
About an hour later I sat down on a rock and very slowly the village began to materialize around me. Turns out, I was sitting on a rock wall in the center of the village. I am not the first to see it. That is just how I happened to find it.
They have found skeletons, arrow heads. burnt beans and corn, pottery, some shell jewelry, manos and matates.

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #5 - Nov 25th, 2018 at 10:05am

That's too bad about the encroachment. But that's still an impressive find. Has anything been written about it publicly at least?

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #6 - Nov 25th, 2018 at 11:35am

Very interesting.  What state is this?

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Nov 25th, 2018 at 6:39pm

AZ. The Basket Maker 1,2&3 people lived and roamed in much of the sw.  People in the early period were hunter/gatherers. Then they began growing corn, beans and amaranth. The Basket Maker 3's mainly cultivated crops and gathered wild food.
Check out Basket Maker III on the net Smiley

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #8 - Nov 25th, 2018 at 8:40pm

I would love to see what kind of weapons they might have used.  What an interesting experience that must to sit there and take it all in.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Nov 25th, 2018 at 9:27pm

It is beyond interesting! I will never forget cutting a couple yucca leaves one am and climbing up a ridge to a small ancient ruin and tapping out the yucca leaf fibers on a dead agave stalk. The tapping sound attracted ravens and blue birds, which flew around the peak about twenty feet below me. Attracted by the ancient sound of tapping? I like to think so.

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #10 - Nov 25th, 2018 at 9:59pm

Who knows Walter. I've heard genetic memory can be passed down. Who's to say how many hunders of years those birds may have heard that sound?

So hey do you happen to know if they used bows, sling or throwing sticks and if so what they might have looked like?

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #11 - Nov 25th, 2018 at 11:17pm

By 750 AD they were mostly using bows, though dart points were also found at this site. No mention of slings Sad. Ceramics have replaced the need for most basketry. I have found a ton of potsherds and one broken pot in situ, atlatl points and one axe head. All above ground and not in a village. Never have done any digging. Just saying.
Skeletons have long faces, stocky bodies, women 5 feet tall and men an average of 4" taller.
Skeletons were delivered to a first nations group in the AZ desert
Please read House of Rain Huh

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #12 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 6:24am

It looks very similar to Medieval houses that are occasionally  found in Ireland.

poorhouse.jpg (768 KB | 46 )
poorhouse.jpg

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Bill Skinner)