head pivot (1)    
  0 (0.0%)
left side pivot (2)    
  5 (100.0%)

Total votes: 5
« Created by: Sarosh on: Nov 24th, 2018 at 11:24am »

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Slinging Mechanics Tweaking (Read 3402 times)
Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Mechanics Tweaking
Nov 24th, 2018 at 11:24am

I noticed 2 ways one can throw.
during release:

1) head is pivot point . head is only rotating to keep eyes on target doesn't travel backwards or forwards. left side goes back, right side goes forward.

2)pivot point moved towards the left side (non throwing side) could be shoulder/elbow, the head moves towards the target.left side remains still , torso and right side move forward.

the question is : what do you think is more efficient/powerful and what is more accurate. Could it be one has better accuracy and power?
those who are very bored Sad to answer just vote 

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Slinging Mechanics Tweaking
Reply #1 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 3:59pm

Opposite side stays still, you step into the target with the throwing side.

IP Logged

Blue Raja
Descens

Rediscovering An Ancient
Skill

Reply #2 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 4:15pm

To quote the immortal (literally!) Chubbs; "It's all in the hips, baby, it's all in the hips."

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #3 - Nov 27th, 2018 at 12:17pm

I think the left side pivot will inherently have more power because the whole body is involved in the forward movement.  While the head pivot is more of a rotation of the body and will not get that additional energy.

I think the slinger and his/her skill is the main determinant for accuracy.  One method could be more accurate, but it wouldn't surprise me if this varied from one slinger to another.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #4 - Nov 28th, 2018 at 6:52am

it's actually all in the waist. so your body has to turn.
so body and head can turn or just body.
Both work.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #5 - Nov 28th, 2018 at 8:01am

Thanks for the replies.
(I'm questioning my mechanics because a friend of mine, not working out and throwing rarely, can long toss further than me any time. he seems to win not in muscle but in skill and technique. I'm investigating to improve my throwing technique.)

hmm
the question might be a little confusing...

in both cases the movement is a combination of spin around the spine and a forward movement of this axis.
BUT
If the spin matches the forward movement then the left shoulder seems stationary, like a point at the bottom of a rolling wheel .
If the spin is faster than the forward movement this "stationary" point moves to the center of the body, if it was a wheel then it would look more like a drifting wheel.

so in other words: "spin">"forward movement" or "forward movement">"spin" ?

Blue Raja wrote on Nov 26th, 2018 at 4:15pm:
"It's all in the hips, baby, it's all in the hips."

well I hear a lot about legs but in the end it's everything. good movement of hips don't do much if the arms don't coordinate to receive the energy.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #6 - Nov 29th, 2018 at 2:28pm

When you throw it right, your hips don’t lie, and you’ll start to feel it’s right Grin

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #7 - Dec 4th, 2018 at 7:37am

both. I think if done properly they’ll sync up

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #8 - Dec 4th, 2018 at 9:30pm

Clearly there are no Shakira fans in the forum. I think the reference was completely lost...
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DUT5rEU6pqM

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #9 - Dec 5th, 2018 at 2:20am

I have three younger sisters. Trust me, that song is etched into my frontal cortex. I've probably heard that damn song around 6000 times. I wish I didn't recognise the lyrics...

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Logan757
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - Dec 6th, 2018 at 10:27pm

I sling like I throw a baseball. front leg goes back, step forward while turning hips.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #11 - Dec 7th, 2018 at 5:46am

Beim Schuß einen Schritt machen?  Nicht sehr gut für Ihre Genauigkeit. 😁

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #12 - Dec 7th, 2018 at 5:09pm

why not just watch your friend and do what he does Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #13 - Dec 8th, 2018 at 2:29am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Dec 7th, 2018 at 5:09pm:
why not just watch your friend and do what he does

did exactly that.
on site it's very difficult to observe the details of the movement so I watched him in slo mo.
after watching more closely and mimicking his arm movements I added 5m to my long toss went from ~60-65m to 70m.

he seems to do the "head pivot" but that probably is the result of the little stride and fast turning of the shoulders.(I believe he isn't using his legs well enough)
What he does is that he uses his left arm more wisely than me. At the beginning the arm helps to twist the torso (create hip-shoulder separation) until the front foot is planted, then he uses his arm momentum to unwind his torso.
I also tried to transfer the movement to slinging. it messed up my accuracy and coordination. it might need more practice or it just doesn't fit slinging as well as hand throwing.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, vetryan15, Kick, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man)