Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New slinger novice from SE NM! (Read 5947 times)
theguywitheyebrows
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Hobbs, NM
New slinger novice from SE NM!
Nov 24th, 2018 at 9:47am

Hi All!! glad to be welcomed into the fold here! i have been interested in slings and slinging for something like 5 years now, and first i took som 4mm and wove a sheepshank pouch with paracord that tennis ball'd ok (my form likely still sucks) and then made a (bear with me) reverse twist 24 strand, with a split pouch of 3 strands reverse twisted from artificial sinew thats wrapped around my hiking stick for the ever present 'what-ifs'. I plan to make a Mersa split pouch single cord sling, but i am not sure what size cordage to use with it, for smaller than tennis ball sized glandes that i plan to hand make from red clay. glandes seem less a hassle and cheaper than store-bought cane handmade arrows. i got into slings because i got into bushcraft after i got into hammocking and realizing that i can't carry everything into the woods with me. backpacks get heavy when you're bringing a raft and food and axes and drawknives, etc. figuring that ranged hunting weapons will be hard as rock to create in the woods, i stumbled upon a reference to David and Goliath and felt the lightbulb spark. due to city living and having had a baby boy in march of this year, i'm pressed for the time to make trips to safe slinging areas so i have little to no practice, but that isn't going to deter me from building me a mersa sling and carrying it around with me as an edc item. i look forward to interactions with you all and learning from you what i may.  iw ill be setting up my signature and the details of this forum for my personal liking soon, but in the mean time i will share with you the mark i have left on this world [  http://youtu.be/Rk-P-MVnMPk ] and another video detailing my mark on this world by a great and hilarious youtuber/hammockforums.net fellow member here [ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HHncxp_SvA ] feel free to ask any questions or shoot any free nowledges you'd like to my way. im eager to learn and super helpful.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Re: New slinger novice from SE NM!
Reply #1 - Nov 24th, 2018 at 1:57pm

Welcome from Finland! Are you planning any videos of yourself slinging? That's definitely the best way for getting help with technique. There are a lot of very experienced slingers that know their stuff and that have certainly helped me Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

theguywitheyebrows
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Hobbs, NM
Reply #2 - Nov 24th, 2018 at 2:00pm

so heres my hiking stick with the sling on it and the sling separate. i spliced a retention eye the same as one would a flemish bowstring, because these are techniques i had already developed and art sinew probably won't last that many slings so i'm upgrading meow with a jute rockman. im to the pouch and its tedious but easier on the arthritic hands than reverse wrapping. diggin it, and this forum so far!

IP Logged

theguywitheyebrows
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Hobbs, NM
Reply #3 - Nov 24th, 2018 at 2:03pm

hmmmm...rotation is off...apologies. the first round, the size was ridiculous, then i found CA's imageresizer and set that up and used it, so thanks for that!!

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #4 - Nov 24th, 2018 at 3:16pm

Welcome from a former Albuquerqian living in Texas!   I hope you had some good green chile this Thanksgiving.
I can’t wait to see more of how a hammock guy approaches sling making Smiley

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #5 - Nov 24th, 2018 at 3:55pm

Welcome from down under

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

theguywitheyebrows
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Hobbs, NM
Reply #6 - Nov 25th, 2018 at 1:14am

kicktheotter: thanks for the tip, i'll definitely try to make that happen in order to get some help when i solidify my throwing grounds. Finland!?! im jealous, i dream of being in your forests nightly, making bows near campfires in front of bushcraft shelters!!
NooneOfConsequence: green chili turkey, as a matter of fact, and it was hot and glorious! there are some neat things i have planned for a woven pouch sling that have some hammocky roots, you'll see! eventually lol
Mersa: cheers you build your namesake from dynaglide? looks like dynaglide and seems like the dyneema fiber ropes would be the longest lasting material one could possibly use for its tremendous abrasion resistance. <- another thing that comes from hammockry, i have plenty of high tech cordages to try! dynaglide is first up but im out of it atm Tongue

IP Logged

theguywitheyebrows
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Hobbs, NM
Reply #7 - Nov 25th, 2018 at 1:25am

theguywitheyebrows's jute Rockman mk1 pre-whip. not bad once my wife taught me to anchor the retention loop to ease my life a little. two finger retention loop, havent slung it yet, still gunna whip the...wassit release cord? at the pouch likely tonight. my pouch strappys are uneven in width down the length. i, regrettably, tapered the release cord and the end is very thin and seemingly difficult to keep hold of. also, too long, and will have to have a large knot built up, likely a figure 9. on to whipping!! my 8 month old does not want sleep, so i got the time Wink

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #8 - Nov 25th, 2018 at 6:35am

theguywitheyebrows wrote on Nov 25th, 2018 at 1:14am:
kicktheotter: thanks for the tip, i'll definitely try to make that happen in order to get some help when i solidify my throwing grounds. Finland!?! im jealous, i dream of being in your forests nightly, making bows near campfires in front of bushcraft shelters!!

Finland can be a pretty great place to live but not so much in November Cheesy It's been getting dark around half 3 and minus temperatures but still no snow. Hopefully soon. The snow always helps with the darkness.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #9 - Nov 25th, 2018 at 10:08am

Welcome from northern maine, it's cold here. About to get our 4th snow fall today so far. We have about 7in of snow on the ground now

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - Nov 25th, 2018 at 2:49pm

Welcome! Fun show and tell  Smiley

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #11 - Nov 25th, 2018 at 3:34pm

It's a dyneema cord ,I use it to access trees , I'm a tree climber by trade and I know it as Throwline however the exact brand and construction I have is no longer available
i think any dyneema will be suffice

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

theguywitheyebrows
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Hobbs, NM
Reply #12 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 9:05am

@
Mersa
     if its a flat weave, its spectra, if its a round braid its dynaglide. ha! i thought i recognized my favorite tarp suspension line! it was developed for arborists' to use as throwline, and hammockers appropriated it for its 900+lbs test and UL yet ULTRA STRONG abilities. dyneema resists abrasion, chemicals, sunlight, oils, it floats, and it doesn't retain water. dyneema is the best fiber for any rope application. except sawing with rope, far too slippery to saw through stuff with.
heres my completed rockman, whipped and all the fuzzies burned off. pouch strips are uneven and it could be longer. still haven't slung it yet, but feels good in the hand. now to figure out red clay/sand glandes

IP Logged

theguywitheyebrows
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Hobbs, NM
Reply #13 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 9:09am

took 3 edits, and i still dont understand the picture rotation thing  Undecided

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #14 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 11:30am

Welcome to the forum!

“When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.”

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Chris, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar)