Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
slingstone made with chalk (Read 5481 times)
TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Re: slingstone made with chalk
Reply #15 - Dec 3rd, 2018 at 5:22am

Follow-up,
This other photo to answer (for a small part) to Shale.
With a bloc of chalk and an axe, it's possible to make quickly many bullets like the others.
Smiley

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #16 - Dec 3rd, 2018 at 2:15pm

I suspect the guys getting bombarded weren't wearing hard armor.  Not too much plate armor or maile in those times.  Their armor was probably made of leather.  And while, if they had them, their shields could have been made of wood, they could also have been a leather shield or a wooden framed shield with a stiffened leather face.  Either way, probably not going to make the projectiles shatter.

As far as why use a sling over a bow and arrow, you have to make arrows.  And first, you have to collect the materials to make the arrow.  So, after the fight, you went out and collected as many arrows as you could find.  These arrows weren't semi mass produced for an army, they were made by an individual for his own use. 

The only sling projectiles that were recovered are probably not the only ones thrown, those are just the ones that can be recognized as a sling stone.  The rest of the sling stones were just rocks.

IP Logged

funditor
Descens

Ceteram censeo, rem funditam
esse

Vienna, Austria
Reply #17 - Dec 21st, 2018 at 4:23pm

The projectiles had on average a similar weight as the ten thousands of Maiden Castle slingstones,. Both I assume used blut force against unprotected body areas. That is quite a long time span for this concept to be applied. Shields would not be penetrated by either, but Joints or blnes with only thin tissue layers would surely be broken, not talking about an unprotected skull.  The chalk tiips are probably only for aerodynamics, not for piercing. Still I suspect they would aid in piercing unprotected skin, or concentrating the force on the impact site on a

IP Logged

funditor
Descens

esse

Vienna, Austria
Reply #18 - Dec 21st, 2018 at 4:33pm

Recently I made some replicas using my bronze axe to be authentic. The rocks were chalk from a nearby quarry, rather soft and coarse. The estimate is that the time of manufacture decreases significantly with every piece made. Compare to clay you have the projectiles ready quite fast, no need to dry and/or fire them. Also what I noticed with the replicas, the density of chalk is lower than clay, but they absorb water fast, you could even store them underwater to increase the density to increase the impact force. And remember, these things were found on a river bank, so they could have been thrown wet.

IP Logged

funditor
Descens

esse

Vienna, Austria
Reply #19 - Dec 22nd, 2018 at 6:33am

TOMBELAINE wrote on Dec 3rd, 2018 at 5:14am:
Hello, Slingbadger, Curious Aardvark, Shale and the others.
The photo shows the most beautiful of the bullets.
There are two splinters upside the stone. This shape like an egg is solid. The reason is geometric. But I'm not able to explain well. Perhaps, one of you ?
Smiley

My reproductions are all in a not that beautiful shape  Cheesy Cheesy Grin  Sometime just large fractions would brake off the rock when shaving over with the edge of the bronze axe blade...

Tombelaine, do you happen a weight table or diagram, or histogram, to get a better feeling for the weight distribution of the bullet weights and lengths/diameters?

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #20 - Dec 28th, 2018 at 12:45pm

Hello,
Yes, Funditor.
To make replicas is the most important to get feeling the problem.
But, it's necessary for me to drive minimum 1 hour to find chalk. Sad

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #21 - Dec 30th, 2018 at 12:23pm

Sorry for my English !
I think it's better to say : "selfmade replicas is most important to feel the slingstones".

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Chris, Curious Aardvark)