Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
slingstone made with chalk (Read 5480 times)
TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
slingstone made with chalk
Nov 23rd, 2018 at 7:15am

Hello,
If you look for " guet-apens en bord de seine" with Google, you find a french website.
More of four hundred slinstones made with chalk during the age of bronze in Normandy (France) had been found by archeologists.
I do a work about them. And so, as soon as possible, I say you the results.
For a good day.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Re: slingstone made with chalk
Reply #1 - Nov 24th, 2018 at 9:56am

It will depend on how dense the chalk is.  If it is light and crumbly, it may come apart in the cast or throw.  If it is of the same density as the chalk used to draw and write with on chalkboards, it should work fine.  Plus, it would be easy to shape by grinding, and if it stays together, it can be given additional weigh by soaking in water for a period of time.

So, it would make rather good ammunition for hunting something like birds, waterfowl, marmots or possibly for herding animals and driving off predators from the same flocks or herds. 

The ammunition would be made with the expectation that it would be used only once, so it would probably be rather roughly shaped to make the projectiles roughly the same shape and size.  Chalk is rather soft, so a lot of projectiles could be made rather quickly.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #2 - Nov 24th, 2018 at 1:59pm

If it's used for target shooting it would leave a good mark on whatever you're throwing at as well so you can see your accuracy.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #3 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 4:50am

Hello,
Chalk is a hard stone. For exemple, the castels of the LOIRE valley had made with chalk. And many houses also.

villandry_5.jpg (1529 KB | 91 )
villandry_5.jpg

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #4 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 4:52am

Sorry for the size of the photo. It is more large.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #5 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 7:03am

limestone, not chalk. probably a translation issue.
Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 4:02pm

Still, limestone can be made much softer by soaking, so small chunks can be ground to size and shape.  And weight.  It will just take longer to amass a large supply of ammunition.

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #7 - Nov 27th, 2018 at 4:19am

Hello,
Chalk is a limestone (general word) like Sandstone.
The density of chalk is between 1.4 and 2.2. It's depend the site. For exemple, the density of concrete is 2.2, (2.5 for armed concrete).
It's possible in the nature, find crumbly chalk but it's possible also find compact chalk.
Until I read this archeologic discovery, I search on the net what is chalk in reality.
Today, I think chalk is a good stone to make ammunition.
Smiley

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #8 - Nov 27th, 2018 at 5:14am

My English is not perfect.
It isn't "until I read.." but "since I read..."
Embarrassed

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #9 - Nov 28th, 2018 at 6:59am

Hello,
I think ; use the unbranded word : limestone or use the geologic word : chalk isn't important.

The only important thing is the real stones. I'm not a geek but at this adress, you can see a photo of them.
https://www.inrap.fr/des-traces-de-pas-millenaires-en-normandie-13086
Wink

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #10 - Nov 29th, 2018 at 6:01am

Hello,
The archaeologists find a site of violent confrontation. They think that because they find more four hundred slingstones in two fords.
The time is at beginning of the bronze age, ( about 2000 before Christ).
People lives on a island on the river Seine. They had built a "village" with a "landing stage" and a bridge. There were also two fords at the other side of the island.
Archaeologists think today, people wait that the adversaries cross the fords to bomb them. Walking with the feet in the water is difficult and it's the good moment to bomb the group.
This is an abstract for the members who don't read french.
Smiley

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #11 - Nov 29th, 2018 at 11:28am

that website is also in english Smiley
what article am I looking for ?
got it - link to the article in english: https://www.inrap.fr/en/millennial-footprints-normandy-13107

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #12 - Nov 30th, 2018 at 6:20am

I would think that they would shatter on impact.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Shale

Canada
Reply #13 - Dec 1st, 2018 at 12:24am

This is an interesting article. I wonder why the inhabitants used slings instead of (or more extensively than) bows or other missile weapons. They put a lot of time and effort into making these glandes so the sling wasn't a convenient weapon for them to use. The best explanations I can think of are: 1. They didn't know how to make/use or other missile weapons (unlikely); 2. Making other missile weapons was far more labor intensive (e.g. because the materials were difficult to obtain); 3. The sling was a more effective weapon for their purposes; 4. Cultural/historical reasons. Of course, it could also have been a combination of factors.

Shale

As he that bindeth a stone in a sling, so is he that giveth honor to a fool. (Proverbs 26.8)

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #14 - Dec 3rd, 2018 at 5:14am

Hello, Slingbadger, Curious Aardvark, Shale and the others.
The photo shows the most beautiful of the bullets.
There are two splinters upside the stone. This shape like an egg is solid. The reason is geometric. But I'm not able to explain well. Perhaps, one of you ?
Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Chris, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini)