Send Topic Print
Ammunition (Read 4141 times)
Vance
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Texas
Ammunition
Nov 23rd, 2018 at 12:11am

I am trying to work on my accuracy.  It's not terrible, but I believe that my inconstant ammunition is a major problem.  I have access to railroad rocks which are usually very jagged.  Worse, my target area is over water so I can only retrieve about half of my stones.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to obtain or make cheap consistent ammo ?

Thanks,

V.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Ammunition
Reply #1 - Nov 23rd, 2018 at 12:31am

Rusty balls, concrete balls and clay glands  Smiley

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #2 - Nov 23rd, 2018 at 3:01am

If it weren't for your target area being over water I would suggest tennis balls. I was a sling stone purist for a long time but now I do sling tennis balls a fair amount. It's not the same as rocks and they don't act the same in the air at all but they still make for good ammo. I still haven't tried out clay but thats because the soil around me (and through most of Finland) isn't really appropriate and I haven't wanted to stump up the cash for atual clay. Some day I'll do it. Same goes for concrete.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #3 - Nov 23rd, 2018 at 3:47am

usually where there is water there are smooth stones and clay, try to find something.
next is to transfer stones to the place.
or buy clay and make clay projectiles .

I want to make clay projectiles with C_As rollers but can't find cheap clay supplier.
If you use ~10kg-20kg of ammo per session that is a problem.
That's why i stick to stones ,no buying, no making , no transfer.

another idea in the back of my mind for years is , to put angled stones(like railroad rocks) in a machine to smooth and round them
i found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qn0jYqrONPw
(If you know another method please share)
so if you have your own property but no smooth stones you could make a huge rock tumbler powered by water/air/electricity.

and another thing you could try is use a triangular pouch sling/Y sling so there is little friction on release and little spin rate(now that I think about it I should test Y-sling spin rates with tennis balls to compare to normal)

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #4 - Nov 23rd, 2018 at 4:39am

There's always Timpa's method but then again Timpa is crazy and it's a miracle he still has all of his fingers Cheesy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOxtdcgNDXI

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #5 - Nov 23rd, 2018 at 9:19am

Tennis balls... and a golden retriever Grin

How far away is your target?  How big is it? I would recommend using a target that pushes your skills but also gives you clear feedback on where the throw went.  Sometimes it also helps to use a tall or wide target that lets you focus on only horizontal or vertical precision.  Sarosh is right about the sling type too. Minimal spin and a fast release from the pouch will make your throws more consistent with inconsistent ammo.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Vance
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Texas
Reply #6 - Nov 23rd, 2018 at 11:51am

Thanks fro your suggestions all.

My target is aprox. 40 meters away.  I live in Houston where we have many man made drainage ditches which are too wide (and disgusting) to cross.  I use on of the support columns on a nearby bridge as my target.  Unfortunatly, when I hit the target my stone falls into the water.  The net result is that my best ammunition can't be retrieved.  The poor shots fly across the water and can sometimes be found.
I have considered making concrete or clay balls, but it seems like a lot of effort to make 0ne use ammunition.

I am starting to think that I need a new target area.  One in which I can get back some or all of my best ammo.

Does any one have a link to instructions on cement or clay ball making ?

IP Logged

timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Reply #7 - Nov 23rd, 2018 at 5:27pm

Kick wrote on Nov 23rd, 2018 at 4:39am:
There's always Timpa's method but then again Timpa is crazy and it's a miracle he still has all of his fingers Cheesy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOxtdcgNDXI

Grin

It's best to find a steep slope that stops the ammo.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #8 - Nov 25th, 2018 at 12:02pm

I've seen posts here where members use egg cartons as molds to make concrete glandes.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #9 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 6:54am

buy some rubber gloves, buy some quickmix all-in-one-concrete.
Use a cheap bucket - should be able to get one from the buckstore.

Mix it fairly stiff - use buckstore pva/elmers/white glue and dilute 50:50 with water - this will make the cement a bit more pliable, and roll it into golf ball sized missiles.
leave on cardboard or newspaper to dry for a couple of days - DO NOT DO THIS IN THE KITCHEN Smiley

The gloves are not optional - the lime (sodium hydroxide) in cement will dissolve your skin, never touch wet cement with bare skin.

quick, cheap and reliable ammo.
You could go totally Aardvark (coining a new phrase here) and make one of these: http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1206889228

But hand rolling is probably quicker and gives just as consistent ammo. 

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #10 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 7:25am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Nov 26th, 2018 at 6:54am:
buy some rubber gloves, buy some quickmix all-in-one-concrete.
Use a cheap bucket - should be able to get one from the buckstore.

Mix it fairly stiff - use buckstore pva/elmers/white glue and dilute 50:50 with water - this will make the cement a bit more pliable, and roll it into golf ball sized missiles.
leave on cardboard or newspaper to dry for a couple of days - DO NOT DO THIS IN THE KITCHEN Smiley

The gloves are not optional - the lime (sodium hydroxide) in cement will dissolve your skin, never touch wet cement with bare skin.

quick, cheap and reliable ammo.
You could go totally Aardvark (coining a new phrase here) and make one of these: http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1206889228

But hand rolling is probably quicker and gives just as consistent ammo. 

Was that thread the start to your 3d printed clay rollers?

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #11 - Nov 28th, 2018 at 11:13am

Quote:
(now that I think about it I should test Y-sling spin rates with tennis balls to compare to normal)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=___3fLsS7Bg

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #12 - Feb 3rd, 2019 at 5:41am

I'm bored to start a new topic so I'll ask here.

Clay vs Cement vs Concrete

I 've got very little experience with these materials.

Which one will survive the most throws?

yesterday i slung a clay ball (river clay density 1,9g/ml, not fired) against cliff side, first hit no problem , second hit pulverised.
then I slung a rooftop tile roughly shaped into a biconical, first hit all right, second hit broke in half.
how's cement or concrete perfoming? what kind of aggregate would work for concrete ellipsoids?

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #13 - Feb 3rd, 2019 at 10:23am

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #14 - Feb 3rd, 2019 at 4:13pm

@
Jaegoor

Nice! thanks
although it broke, it seems in better condition than my clay ball.

do you remember the mixture?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Morphy, vetryan15, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark)