Remembering Steven (Read 3490 times)
Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Remembering Steven
Nov 9th, 2018 at 7:37am

Steven joined the forum in 2006 and while not active in recent years still read the forum and occasionally commented on a topic.

Quote:
Steven A Young
October 3, 1946 ~ November 4, 2018 (age 72)

Steven Arthur young, 72, of Austin, Texas died on November 4th, 2018.

He was born, October 30th, 1946, in Grand Island, NE son of the late Muarise and Bernadine Young of Lexington, NE. He grew up in Lexington on the family farm, with his parents. He attended elementary and high school in Lexington on the family farm, with his parents. He attended elementary and high school in Lexington and often reminisced about the fun he had living in this community. Steven was active in Boy Scouts and earned the rank of Eagle Scout.

Following graduation from high school, Steven moved in NYC and graduated from the National Institute of Photography of New York.

Steven enlisted in the US Navy and served aboard the USS Kitty Hawk during the Vietnam conflict. Steven was an aviation technician and worked on the flight deck. Steven was blown off the flight deck into the South China Sea by a wayward jet propulsion and lived to tell the story.

Steven met his wife of 49 years, Karen, while in high school. He proposed to her by mail while serving in the Navy, They were married on Nov. 29, 1969, in Lexington, NE. Steven graduated from Hastings Technical College of Nebraska. They moved to Austin, TX, so Steven could begin his computer electronics career at Texas Instruments. Over the course of his career, he worked as a systems analyst for Tandem Computers, Compaq and Hewlett Packard. Steven retired from Austin Independent School District.

Steven was a devoted father and family man. He was a constant and strong presence as a father. He never missed an activity, game or performance. He was an active parent, from coaching little league, to taking family camping trips, to teaching life lessons.

He is survived by his wife, Karen Young; two daughters, Liza (Young) white and Sara Young; Son-in-law, Wesley White; two adored grandsons, William and Andrew White; Maternal Aunt, Iona Schanou and extended family.

Steven and Karen have been active members of St. John's United Methodist Church for 42 years and Steven was a standing member of the choir for many years. He served as a trustee at the church, often helping with special projects, youth mission trips, or attending classes.

Steven enjoyed karate and Tai Chi. He was known for his ingenuity and dry wit. His hobbies and interests were many, including photography, music, baking and grilling, flying kites, slinging making gigantic bubbles for children, and camping with friends and family. He was an avid reader His newest interest was hammock camping, He was often ready to help with a handy gadget when others needed it He volunteered at Hope Food Pantry beside his wife.

A Celebration of Life and reception will be held at St. John's United Methodist Church in Austin, November 17, 2018 at 11:00 A.M. Interment will be in Lexington, NE, date and time to be determined. Memorial contributions can be made to either St. John's UMC Endowment Fund or Hope Food Pantry of Austin.

Those of us who were around when steven was active - will remember a man of strong principle and opinions Smiley

He was always ready to help a new member and always made an effort to greet new members
He was never shy about anything he disagreed with.
It's fair to say he and I had  a few run ins over the years.
But I love arguing and Steven was always a good opponent for a great argument.

On reflection, I've missed his input in the last couple of years.

I'm sure older members have their own memories of him and it would be great if you could share them here.

Enjoy the great pebble beach in the sky mate, I will miss you, you old fart Smiley
CA
« Last Edit: Nov 10th, 2018 at 10:22am by Curious Aardvark »  

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: Remembering Steven
Reply #1 - Nov 9th, 2018 at 3:18pm

Gone but not forgotten. He was already a veteran of Slinging.Org when I got here. I always appreciated his posts. RIP Steven and thanks for everything. You definitely enriched this forum and this world is worse off for no longer having you.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #2 - Nov 11th, 2018 at 7:17am

That really sucks. RIP.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #3 - Nov 11th, 2018 at 7:55am

Iliked a lot of his posts. Wasnt he a part of one the recent SITH. Either last year or before?

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Nov 15th, 2018 at 8:37pm

So long, see you on the other side.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #5 - Nov 25th, 2018 at 11:17am

Steven's posts were always interesting and informative.  As many of you know, I often disagreed with Steven.  He was a tough, capable, and worthy adversary in a heated debate.  RIP, sir. You will be missed.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderator: Curious Aardvark)