Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Adding weight to a plastic ball (Read 1807 times)
joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Adding weight to a plastic ball
Oct 30th, 2018 at 4:28pm

A while back I bought some plastic balls for use in target practice (as the ammunition, not the targets Wink).  I chose them because they were advertised as "low bounce", and I thought that would help minimize movement after initial contact with the target.

The balls are slightly smaller than a tennis ball and weigh a little less.  The problem is I actually find them to be too light.  I'm trying to add some weight and have filled three with silicone.  I bought a few tubes of silicone, drilled holes in the balls, and just filled them up.  I chose silicone because I didn't want the "filler" to be completely ridged.  I imagine that because it's inside a ball, some of the silicone may not ever completely cure.  But I don't think that should be a problem.

I like the weight of the filled ones much better.  They went from just over 50 g to around 125 g.

I have 12 of these plastic balls and am planning to do same with the rest of them.  Does anyone think there could be any problem using silicone as the filler?  Or have any other suggestions on adding some weight to a hollow plastic ball?

IP Logged

DirtyDuck
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Western Wa
Re: Adding weight to a plastic ball
Reply #1 - Oct 30th, 2018 at 6:18pm

One of my favorite Ammo so far has been a silicone hollow dog toy and Kongs in my big dogleash sling. Sometimes i can get the kongs to fly straight on their horizontal axis,. Unfortunately its the dogs least favorite toy, so I have to retrieve kongs, the huge silicone ball is their favorite. I have been wondering about casting some out of urethane resin and putting a weighted nose and maybe some streamer tails to stabilize and help locate afterward. Have you thought of adding BBs into silicone?

christopher.covey.180  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - Oct 30th, 2018 at 7:32pm

they'll probably bounce Smiley
the silicone filled balls, that is.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #3 - Oct 30th, 2018 at 8:01pm

DirtyDuck wrote on Oct 30th, 2018 at 6:18pm:
Have you thought of adding BBs into silicone?

My only concern with adding BBs is that it may cause the balance of the ball to go off center.  At the moment I just have a small hole in the ball and I'm putting the tip of the caulking gun down into it.  I can't really see the fill point at any time and think it would be hard to judge where the BBs go if I started dropping them in.  Although it may be such a small difference that position doesn't matter very much.

I hope to see how the first three test subjects do soon.  I'm planning to get a few throws in tomorrow morning if it's not too cold.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #4 - Nov 2nd, 2018 at 2:19pm

Just to follow up on this, not too surprising but the silicone worked great as a plastic ball filler.  They don't seem to bounce much differently.  But one thing did change.  I wasn't thinking about this, but with them being a lot heavier, when the target is completely missed they go a lot further.  I had to fight through some weeds to find one that flew astray Cheesy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, vetryan15, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Morphy)