Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Lots of paracord (Read 3004 times)
Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Lots of paracord
Oct 13th, 2018 at 2:53pm

I've ordered (from my favourite army surplus website) a bundle of 12 lengths of 3-4mm paracord each length being 5-6.5m long. So in total I'll be getting something around 75m of paracord. Now that will make a lot of paracord slings but I'm also thinking of what else I could do with it. Any suggestions for cool things I could make? Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Re: Lots of paracord
Reply #1 - Oct 13th, 2018 at 6:31pm

Just make lots of slings. Wink

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Oct 13th, 2018 at 7:47pm

a braided pcord belt or three Smiley

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #3 - Oct 14th, 2018 at 3:17am

I had a search around and one thing I've wanted to make for awhile is a paracord whip and this looks pretty good Cheesy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLz8wxHX3eY

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #4 - Oct 14th, 2018 at 9:57am

A whip would be cool. What about a paracord bolas? Ever used one? They are a lot of fun.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #5 - Oct 14th, 2018 at 10:52am

I've made one paracord one before using large hex nuts as the weights and then one braided string one using large washers but I do like the look of monkey fist bolas. Both the ones I have at the moment are pretty... rough. Having a nicely done paracord one would be pretty sweet Cheesy

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #6 - Oct 15th, 2018 at 1:22am

I’ll second the whip idea. That’s a project that’s been on my (eventually) to-do list for a while. You can also make monkeys fists, which could be used as bolas or for a variety of other uses.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #7 - Oct 15th, 2018 at 2:46am

I've tried monkey fists before and they've come out ok but not nearly as nice as the one I got from you NOC. I still need some more practice with it. I was thinking I'd truly got the hang of it then yesterday caught myself in the shoulder Cheesy

IP Logged

Curious Novice
Tiro

Slinging: Getting the
most bang for you buck

South Carolina
Reply #8 - Oct 15th, 2018 at 1:50pm

Use it to hang a dipole antenna in the trees

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #9 - Oct 15th, 2018 at 2:08pm

I tend to buy 100 metre reels of paracord Smiley

Pretty much just use it for slings.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #10 - Oct 19th, 2018 at 2:32am

Made my first sling and I wanted to keep it simple so made basically the simplest sling you can make. One thing that sets it apart is that it's really pretty massive. 284cm end to end. I've been using it to throw a tennis ball for the dogs we've been looking after for the week and it works really well. It really highlights somehing about slinging I love. You really don't need fancy materials or spend months braiding to have a good sling. You can do those things and end up with a beautiful and functional sling but a piece of paracord can work just as well.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #11 - Oct 19th, 2018 at 2:33am

He hasn't got the idea of bringing the tennis ball back to me but he's getting better Cheesy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nJyT1KNjLU

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #12 - Oct 19th, 2018 at 4:21am

Ah a noodle , RS would be proud.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #13 - Oct 19th, 2018 at 1:44pm

For many years I've made my own dog leashes based on the Rockman Sling.  I'll post a picture later.  I usually use Polypropylene but Paracord works just fine too.

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #14 - Oct 19th, 2018 at 6:41pm

If you're into decorative knots at all. I would get a book from the library and tie it for the first time with the uncut paracord, measure how much it took, and then cut that amount off plus whatever it's going to hang from, and tie it again. Good way to tie a new knot a couple of times and get an idea how much each knot takes .

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini)